The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Holy Coyote!

Just came in from late barn check. Heard 3-4 or more coyotes In a group howl. Not uncommon out west, very uncommon in the "bowels" of SC.
    DH dispatched a good sized one 2 weeks ago. Our neighbor said they had heard the howls before. She also noted these coyotes were larger than the ones she grew up with in Texas.

Stray dog packs, 2dogs attacked one of my barn kitties last week, and now coyotes. FYI, I lived out west and heard coyotes howl, so know these were not dogs. Ugh.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

We had a pack living down on the creek in an area where about a dozen pine trees had fallen some years back. When the fire trucks would come by with the sirens blaring, the entire pack would tune up. It was eerie but sort of cool.

Father in law and his gun toting, trap setting buddy eradicated the entire lot of them. I don't want them snatching chickens, etc. but don't feel so hot about them being completely wiped out. I'm sure I'll take flack for that, but they were quite shy and stayed out of the way for the most part. One is certain to keep animals up & secure knowing they are about.

Sorry about your kitty. Our worst experiences with loss of critters has come from stray dogs & packs of dogs running at large. Coyotes will be coyotes and dogs will be dogs, but folks letting the alleged pet dogs run at large...I'm not sure who needs a fanny full of rat shot more, the dog or the owner?

2 members found this post helpful.

Unusually large coyote pack injured a horse and killed several calves not too far away from me. Yes, in Florida. And my calving season starts soon.

We hear coyotes semi regularly and actually heard a bobcat the other night. Yikes.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Lots of coyotes in coastal SC, Seabrook island is covered in them.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I am still adjusting to coyotes out here in the MW. Thankfully, with the high boarder presences of our Geraman Shepherds and no climb fencing, we have been able to keep them at bay.

My one mare is extremely anti-dog and was seen by our neighbors going after a coyote prior to our no climb going in. She was out for blood.

Sorry about your kitty. They are everywhere, just not usually seen.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

Coyotes in the east are supposedly bigger than coyotes in the west for a reason - they are genetically different. There is DNA evidence that shows interbreeding with Gray Wolves, at least in the coyotes in the northeast. They're vocal now because it's breeding season.
    We have them up here in PA but when I lived in GA they were even more numerous. When I lived in KS they used to eat the kitty food off my back porch, in broad daylight, and walk around downtown. Those coyotes didn't seem so small either. Maybe they seem bigger when you're looking at them that close.

3 members found this post helpful.

Numerous here in KY as well. It sucks that in addition to the wild predator people just can't seem to keep their dogs contained - we never know which ones are guilty for our missing chickens - fox, coyote or the #$%^ neighbor's GSD's.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Please do NOT underestimate the danger of coyotes.

I'd encourage anyone dealing w/ coyotes to read Robert Timm's work -
    http://www.broomfield.org/openspace/...akery_Timm.pdf

"Based on an analysis of coyote attacks previously described, there is a predictable sequence of observed changes in coyote behavior that indicates an increasing risk to human safety (Baker and Timm 1998). We now define these changes, in order of their usual pattern of occurrence, as follows:
    1) An increase in observing coyotes on streets and in yards at night
    2) An increase in coyotes approaching adults and/or taking pets at night
    3) Early morning and late afternoon daylight observance of coyotes on streets and in parks and yards
    4) Daylight observance of coyotes chasing or taking pets
    5) Coyotes attacking and taking pets on leash or in close proximity to their owners; coyotes chasing joggers, bicyclists, and other adults
    6) Coyotes seen in and around children’s play areas, school grounds, and parks in mid-day
    7) Coyotes acting aggressively toward adults during mid-day."

We have an awful coyote pack here, and we are on 10 acres "in town"; but we also have 2 livestock guardian dogs and haven't had any losses -- even during lambing. But, it sounded like we were surrounded by a huge pack of hyenas / jackals during lambing. These coyotes have killed and injured numerous pets in the area, and they show up at people's houses during the day.

The eastern coyotes are totally different than the ones out west - much larger due to the wolf DNA. There are also coy dogs. There was a great deal of propaganda that wolves would help eradicate coyotes and wouldn't breed with them - FALSE. It is also said that coydogs are a rare occurrence - which I also doubt. And, even more dangerous than coyotes are packs of feral dogs - a professional hunter (professional in that he is hired across the country to take out problem predator animals) in my livestock guardian dog group ended up in a tree for several hours thanks to a pack of a half dozen very large and aggressive feral dogs- and he was armed. I have always had mastiffs and other huge dogs, so I am not one to be fearful of large dogs; but his story put the fear of God in me. Not to mention the idiots who keep wild animals as pets -
    http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/in...ajor_worr.html

If you are interested in Livestock Guardian Dogs, I highly recommend joining the Working LGD Yahoo Group -
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/workingLGDs/

There are definite pros & cons to LGDs, and they cannot be expected to "guard up" until 2 years of age. They also work best as a team. They must be contained with good fencing reinforced with hot wire high & low as they will expand their territory if given the opportunity. So, anyone with a current predator problem really should be looking for a pair of experienced adults. But, the Yahoo group has lots of very experienced members who are glad to discuss pros and cons.

I am an animal lover, and I got LGDs in the hopes that they would deter problem wildlife, so that we wouldn't have to kill predators. So far, so good. But, I am also a firm believer that any wild animal that loses its fear of humans is very dangerous and support lethal control of those animals.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

About a month ago I was riding in my indoor, probably about 730pm. It was dark. The back door was slid open and I was happily doing my thing when all of a sudden my mare stopped on a dime..head up in the air, heart pounding, stock still..then a chorus of howls and yips erupted from the darkness behind the indoor!! I instantly knew what it was, as did she apparently! Then another group answered from the west side of the barn! It was very scary and something I will never forget. I am in central Maryland.

Oh for heaven's sake. I have coo-existed with coyotes for years on my farm. I do not leave kitties and chickens and other defenseless animals unprotected. That is my duty. Pretty soon with all this fear and killing of wildlife, there will be nothing left in the world but people, cats, dogs and bugs.

I love to hear the coyotes. I also consider them to be helping me keep a natural balance for pests like possum, coons, skunks, and feral cats.

If you must have domestic animals, consider that it is your duty to protect them. It is not that difficult people! And don't leave their food out to attract wildlife and them complain when possums and the like show up.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    friend of bar.ka

28 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately, killing them only opens a vacuum for more to come in. Usually the new ones are smarter and more wary. LGDs sound like a good idea. Urban coyotes are a problem near my area and so far shooting hasn't proved effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Oh for heaven's sake. I have coo-existed with coyotes for years on my farm. I do not leave kitties and chickens and other defenseless animals unprotected. That is my duty. Pretty soon with all this fear and killing of wildlife, there will be nothing left in the world but people, cats, dogs and bugs.
    Shooting at random doesn't work any way; check this:http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/30/445...dly-force.html
    Last edited by AbbieS; Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

We hear them a lot at the barn but have never had an incident. The farm dogs seem to be enough of a deterrent for them and they don't come close. One may cross a pasture but always in the back. The kitties really stay close to the barn and we have not lost one in years! No chicken.
    I love the eerie sound of the howls. I am tired of people killing wild life. It is their habitat too!

Does anyone have donkeys as livestock guardians? I frequently see donkeys advertised out here as LSG.
    Best Regards,
    Amber

I hear them from time to time (few times per month) and have seen a lone critter more than once.
    My horses seem unfazed by the talking of the coyotes/coydogs even when it is clearly close by.

Living in a wildlife preserve, we don't kill any one, predator or prey, unless they are coming by the human dwellings.
    Animals that lose their wariness can be just clueless, or sick, with who know, mostly here distemper and rabies.
    Those are very common around here and hard to tell if a coyote, coon or skunk that is meandering around aimlessly in the day time is rabid or just sick.
    Those are a real danger to the humans and their animals living there.

I consider keeping a buffer around human habitation like keeping mice out of your pantry, common sense.
    Just as you don't go around putting rat and mice poison all over every acre you own, but you do keep them away from your home and barn, I hope, we don't just kill predators anywhere, but do around where we live and work and keep our animals confined.

We know not to leave one sick animal alone in a pen, but keep a couple healthy ones with it.
    If we don't, our coyotes have been known to bring down weak cattle and eat on them, leaving them for us to find, some still barely alive, next morning, in their pen.

Or the time our neighbor had a cow close to calving, so he put her in a trap behind his house, to keep an eye on her.
    When he went to check later, she was laying there, calving, about 11/12 coyotes laying in a half circle around her, already had chewed on the calf, that was half out and now dead and on her too, injuring her so badly he had to shoot her..

Those of you that are so cavalier about what you will do need to think that maybe others have good reason to do something different, like having the sense to keep their animals safe, if it means to thin out some wildlife.

Whoever said killing your local predators really doesn't help much is right.
    If you have your coyotes well trained to stay away from your home and barns, if you kill them further off, others will come in their territory and those you have to train all over again to stay away.

We may have to start doing some damage control with feral hogs, that have started to move in the past handful of years and are becoming a problem for all, the native wildlife and humans.

This morning DH saw one crossing the paved road about 2 miles from our farm, but on the backside of some of the neighboring farms. So very recently we are "seeing" them out and about. I know they have been around because for the past several years my barn kitties have stayed very close to the buildings especially at night. Also my old mare who loved being out all of the time has been very uncomfortable in her paddock and very happy to come up at night.

DH wll speak to the game warden when he returns. In the past DH has been hired out to thin predators and "nuisance" critters. However there are signs posted about SC indicating hunters can kill coyotes on sight as they have made an impact on the local deer population, in addition to other critters.

For the record my barn kitty is recovering, fortunately.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    However there are signs posted about SC indicating hunters can kill coyotes on sight as they have made an impact on the local deer population, in addition to other critters.
    Yes there are and I'd love to see any hard data supporting DNR's claim. On my farm, we're still elbow-deep in deer despite having coyotes and bobcats.

Where are you in SC? The coyotes in the Upstate are - again, according to DNR - actually western coyotes brought over by a hunt club in Oconee County during the 70's. So they're little critters. I'm 35 miles from North Myrtle Beach, so on the coast, but the coyotes I've seen are about the size (and shape) of my 35 lb border collie. So not terribly intimidating. Of course, they will take cats and small dogs so no barn kitties for me. Mine live in the house and catch mice.

Anyway, I don't believe we have the big coyotes that are said to live in the Northeast.

Stray dogs are a menace. I've had to chase two of those off my farm in recent years. The coyotes have the good grace to stay hid most of the time. Except, come to think of it, in springtime. Maybe they're out courting?

I see and here them all the time down here around Ocala (a little south actually). I caught my dog playing with a few in the back 5 ac field. I called him and he dug back under the fence (the back pasture was my landlord's and just a grass field). A few coyotes followed after him but not under the fence. My mare would have NONE of that. Only HER dog was allowed in the fence and not the strange visitors

ETA: The ones I have seen down here are about 50-60ish pounds. Tall lean and very healthy looking.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Just wanted to add - in fifteen years on my farm, the only big difference I've noticed since coyotes became more common is that we don't have rabbits devouring the garden anymore.

We still have a healthy fox population, even though coyotes are said to outcompete them for small prey. There must be plenty to go around for the predators in Horry County.

I agree with Bluey about the feral hogs, though. They ruin the ditches around the fields and cause flooding. Plus they scare the bejesus out of horses. A lot of people have started trapping them, feeding them for awhile, and then slaughtering them. They taste just fine.