The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Love my Bobbi Brown in black navy. The perfect color, and stays all day

Add another vote for MAC fluidline

Permanent Make-up ; ) Waterproof, doesn't smudge, soft line, and always consistent.

I cannot apply eye liner for the life of me. I have only tried a few different pencil liners.

Is liquid generally easier to apply?

Clarification:

I like to draw on the "sill" of my eyelid, inside the lash line. Make-up artist types call this a "tight line."

Does that make any difference in your recommendations? Pencil, pen, gel, liquid-- all will work on the window sill of the window to the soul?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Also didn't know ELF is vegan and animal friendly. Will probably switch over to their products then. (It's one of the reasons I really like Urban Decay. Which, OP, everything they make is good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. I didn't realize ELF was vegan and cruelty-free. You sure can't beat $1. I've been surprisingly happy with their pressed compact and I have super sensitive skin prone to clogged pores and general rebellion.
    You're welcome!

For $1 - $3, you definitely can't beat their products. Some of them I have been less than impressed with (some of the nailpolishes), and some need occasional reapplication, but my morals trump out those annoyances.

If you check their website frequently/get their emails, they also run SUPER deals with free shipping and what not. Like right now they're doing 50% off all new spring stuff, plus free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Does that make any difference in your recommendations? Pencil, pen, gel, liquid-- all will work on the window sill of the window to the soul?
    I've used all types on the sill.

A word of warning to those raving about their products lasting YEARS....anything that goes near your eyeballs should really be disposed of frequently. I've read several articles with date ranges, mascara being tossed every six months is one that sticks in my head. Pencils are slightly different, of course, since you're creating a "new surface" frequently, but it's just something to be aware of!

That's why I like my cheap products...no issue with just tossing them.

I've always had luck with Revlon Colorstay eyeliner. Always apply liner over your shadow---it'll stay on longer.

Clarification:

I like to draw on the "sill" of my eyelid, inside the lash line. Make-up artist types call this a "tight line."

I only use Urban Decay's 24-hour pencil in Perversion for this. Tarte also makes one specifically for inner rims. Just make sure whatever you get is "waterline safe." I don't use powder, gel or liquid on my waterline. The dryness of powder irritates me and I've had liquid travel into my actual eyeball which freaked me out. Gel, I've noticed, will sometimes flake as it starts to wear off during the day, just a microscopic amount -- not enough to notice, but enough to irritate my eyes. Also, I find anything on the waterline needs to be reapplied regularly, and so having a nice portable pencil is easiest. I will apply gel between the lashes from a below angle, but if I'm applying anything to the actual waterline, it's the UD pencil or nothing.

eta: on shelf-life, the four products I'm pretty fussy about are lip gloss, mascara, liquid liner, cream eyeshadow and gel liner. Mascara I tend to keep no longer than 3 months; lip gloss, cream shadows, liquid and gel liners no more than about 6 months or *at most* a year. I also never put my finger in any of it, even potted lip gloss or cream eyeshadow. I always use and clean brushes. Pencils and any kind of powder product I'll keep for longer, and lipstick I keep until it gets Old Lipstick Smell, which tends to be about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    I cannot apply eye liner for the life of me. I have only tried a few different pencil liners.

No, IMO liquid tends to be the hardest. The easiest is to use a shadow as a liner with a good liner brush. You can also put a line of shadow down as like training wheels basically and then apply a liner over the top.
    Last edited by suzier444; Apr. 1, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    A word of warning to those raving about their products lasting YEARS....anything that goes near your eyeballs should really be disposed of frequently. I've read several articles with date ranges, mascara being tossed every six months is one that sticks in my head. Pencils are slightly different, of course, since you're creating a "new surface" frequently, but it's just something to be aware of!

That's why I like my cheap products...no issue with just tossing them.
    You are right and I am wrong! I use stuff on the sills and eye lashes until they run out. I guess I have bad a$$ eyes. Then again, my momma was pro-cat and anti-vacuuming during my formative years, so I have been prepared for dirt.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

If you like a tight line, check out the one I recommended for Too Faced. It's a liquid, in a pen, with three prong applicator. You can use it to dot your lash line for a more natural look, create a very thin, tight line or thicken it up for a more dramatic look. I got it specifically because I'm really clumsy with a liquid liner and wanted a natural look. I line like a pro with this one.

I like Maybelline LineStylist. It's a mechanical pencil. I have oily skin, so I had issues with lots of liners getting greasy and wearing off quickly. This one is easy to apply and stays put for a long time.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Chanel's pencil eyeliner is my absolute favorite. It's expensive--in the $30 range--but lasts a long time. It's very soft and easy to apply the amount I want

I don't like liquid liners at all--they create too heavy/dark a line for me...I have super light eyelashes and brows, and red hair, and I don't like black mascara/eyeliner; I prefer an auburn/light brown in both. I don't like to look like I'm wearing a lot of makeup, and dark eye products make me look like I am.

Incidentally, brown/auburn mascara is super-hard to find...anyone have a good source?

I waded into the liquid eyeliner world with some Milani stuff. (I live in the sticks with no mall or high-end stores; also Milani makes stuff that does the job if you need a general go-to drugstore brand.)

In any case, I suck at using it. Can't figure out how to deal with the "beds" of the lashes without getting the liquid all gummed up as if it were going to be mascara.

Will this be a permanent problem or will I get better at it?

Oh, and feel free to talk more about eyelid primer and mascara. Big fan of having color stay where I put it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I use Milani as well. Cheap and colorful and stays put since it is waterproof. If I want a softer look, I swipe some shadow over it once it is dry.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

City of delusion in the state of total denial

In any case, I suck at using it. Can't figure out how to deal with the "beds" of the lashes without getting the liquid all gummed up as if it were going to be mascara.

Will this be a permanent problem or will I get better at it?

Oh, and feel free to talk more about eyelid primer and mascara. Big fan of having color stay where I put it.
    Instead of drawing a fluid line with your liquid liner, try dotting it on either between or just above/below the lashes (depending on whether you're lining the upper or lower lid, and where you like the liner to be.)

Mascara- this is the one place I won't recommend UD (not because it's a bad product, but because it isn't the product I need.) I have sparse, short, and lightly-colored lashes. I use CoverGirl's LashBlast (in the purple tube) and I love it. Looks longer and thicker and doesn't clump. Your mileage may vary depending on what you want it to do; the key is really the brush the mascara comes with rather than what's in the tube.

Primer- Urban Decay hands down. Most days I just swish a little bit of my under-eye concealer over my lid as well, and that works all right, but if I have a shadow that I really want to stick and to be true to the color, I use real primer first.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post

I never could either. What seems the easiest is to use eyeshadow and a slanted liner brush like this one. That way it's much easier to actually get it to the lash line, I can't ever use a pencil without having skin show between the lashes and pencil.
    Quarry Rat

I'm a Sephora junky, but my favorites are:
    Eyeliner: Urban Decay (colors: stray dog, mildew, stash, uzi, perversion)
    Mascara: Buxom Lash or CoverGirl LashBlast
    Mascara Primer: Lancome Cils Booster
    Eye Shadow Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Liquid with a brush. I use LOreal love it. I use to use a cake liner and mixed with water but they don't make those anymore.
    Loreal has a pen that I love, goes on wet, dries fast, can go thin or thick.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I use to use a cake liner and mixed with water but they don't make those anymore.
    Clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    ETA: OP, if you are looking for soft + stays put, I'd suggest looking at gel eyeliners. In addition to the MAC I listed above, Bobbi Brown does one that I find really easy to use. Use a little eyeshadow on top of the gel to set the line and a good primer underneath and it will last for eternity.
    My first multiquote!

You can still find cake eyeliner here (they work great for tightlining):

http://www.studiodirectcosmetics.com...s/eyeliner.htm

I also use their gel eyeliner and eyeshadow primer.