The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't know, I am old so I need all the help I can get, Skimpy lashes, Drooping brow! LOL
    I have heard Carmindy on TLC's what not to wear say use a gel based eye liner, Okay so what is gel based. I cannot use liquid, too harsh, I use a dark brown roll up liner, it has a built in sharpener. it is soft, probably gel based.
    I am a make up flunkie, not good with it at all, never hardly wore it when I was younger, and now that I am old.. Need serious make up!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I use Milani Easy Liner Glitter in Purple Quartz or Black Rocks, depending on what I'm wearing and my mood. I can get it at my local CVS pharmacy or Meijer, I think it's around $6. I can really only wear eye liner as I have allergies that cause my eyes to water and eye shadow (even waterproof with primer, etc) will just go away. The Milani stays put all day long, and only needs a touch up if I accidentally rub my itchy eyes.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

OK...NOT eye liner but the BEST mascara is Blinc (in the silver tube)... waterproof unless the water is warm. then the little tubes of mascara slip off your lashes. No soap needed to remove. Stays on and on and on. The best, best, best mascara I have ever used. i buy it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blinc-Mascara-...=blinc+mascara
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

1 members found this post helpful.

I cannot stress enough how much I love liquid eyeliner. I thought I'd hate it when I first tried it.

I use Milani EyeTECH in the little gold bottle. It's a felt-tipped pen, and goes on really nicely. I get it at Target!

http://www.target.com/p/milian-eye-t...ot=medium_1_52
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't care for liquid or gel. I prefer the subtler look of pencil, maybe set with powder shadow over primer if I want more color. I find liquid and gel to be a sharper and more dramatic look than I care for. YMMV.

Also didn't know ELF is vegan and animal friendly. Will probably switch over to their products then. (It's one of the reasons I really like Urban Decay. Which, OP, everything they make is good.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Urban decay or makeupforever eye liners. Both glide on amazingly smooth; no more scratching my lids or pulling the skin. Urban decay is a more smudged look, makeupforever goes on very precise for a pencil.

I used to like blinc mascara until a piece of fiber got into my eye...the pain was so bad I could never bring myself to put it on again. Now it's Lancome mascara for the win.

Liquid with a brush. I use LOreal love it. I use to use a cake liner and mixed with water but they don't make those anymore.

Love the Chanel kohl pencil. I use it every day, sometimes twice and it stays in place through 16 hour show days and sweat won't get it off. The pencil lasts for about six months too, with daily use. Also love the Chanel mascara primer/moisturizer. I have the thinnest, shortest lashes that never seem to grow and even after a few months of using I can already see longer lashes. Actually I just love all the Chanel stuff. Kind of expensive but super worth the price, on days that I get two or three hours of sleep because of studying I actually look like a person who gets ten hours of sleep every night.

Love Urban Decay products. Best eyeshadow and love the eyeliner. I also use Almay eyeliner and really like it too

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I also use Almay eyeliner and really like it too
    The Almay is my favorite! I've tried a lot of the more expensive liners (Dior, Bare Minerals, Sephora, etc) and the Almay is my favorite. The mechanical pencil one is the perfect softness for smooth, easy to control lines. I have green eyes and use the plum color for a more subtle look and also use the black.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I'd never tired Mary Kay before, but I broke down and went with a friend to a MK party this winter. I really like their eyeliner. It goes on smoothly and lasts the whole day even if I rub my eyes! It wasn't horribly priced either, and has lasted me four months already.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Hands down, the best eye liner I have ever bought. Too Faced 3Way Lash Lining Tool. Love it. So much so that I had a mini anxiety attack when I accidentally left the cap off over a weekend and it dried out (ok, kidding, but did have to run out and get another right away). They are a local company for me so can find them in some store fronts here. Not sure about else where.

https://www.toofaced.com/p-1255-3way...ing-tool.aspx?

I am a HUGE fan of Urban Decay and it helps that a lot of their products are cruelty free, AND a founding member is a horse woman!

Are you looking for pencil, gel or liquid? Or shadow that works as a liner?

For pencil, I like Urban Decay's 24-hour pencils in perversion (black) and demolition (brown). I also like the NARS larger-than-life ones. NYX, Rimmel and and Milani all make good inexpensive ones.

For gel, I like MAC's fluidline.

For liquid, I like Lancome's Artliner the best and L'oreal (lineur intense I think?) second-best. MUFE makes a good one too.

I usually use shadow as a liner, just because it is easy, soft and quick. I especially like NARS Coconut Grove, MAC's Sketch and the darkest shade in Urban Decay's Naked Basics palette.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Liquid with a brush. I use LOreal love it. I use to use a cake liner and mixed with water but they don't make those anymore.
    Illamasqua and Laura Mercier do them. I have a few of the Laura Mercier ones in a palette and they are okay, but not my favorites. I've never used the Illa. one but I love everything else I have from that brand.

ETA: OP, if you are looking for soft + stays put, I'd suggest looking at gel eyeliners. In addition to the MAC I listed above, Bobbi Brown does one that I find really easy to use. Use a little eyeshadow on top of the gel to set the line and a good primer underneath and it will last for eternity.
    Last edited by suzier444; Apr. 1, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

I have a few Ulta kohl liners that I like going on because they're very smooth, but they do smudge easily. They're cheap and come in colors I like, though, so that's a plus.

Thank you all for your help, 2 pages of replies as OT day winds down, and some kinda sorta consensus. Totally useful.

Oh, and the branch-out into great mascara was helpful, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

ELF makes a cream eye shadow that I use as a liner in brown or navy/black. I'm not a big makeup person and it's easy to put on and stay there. If I use it as a shadow though it ends up all in the creases and makes me look like a hungover hooker.

Kevin Aucoin eye pencil.

Hard Candy is my cheapie eye liner and comes in a ton of colors. I can get it at Walmart. Urban Decay is my more expensive brand. Both go on easy and stay on.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Another vote for Urban Decay. I paid like $26 for a pencil last fall (2011) and it's still going great.