The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If you have ingrained Windows logic, (I have been using PCs since DOS commands were used), then Mac OS does not think the same way, in any way. I viewed the advent of windows with hatred, as I saw it as just another layer of nonsense between me and what I wanted to do.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The only reason not the buy a Mac is the price. They are way too expensive. They are superior computers and a million times more intuitive, but I could never justify forking out that kind of money on a laptop, esp as rough as I am on the things physically.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

To whoever said the warranty and service were bad -that is just so wrong and inaccurate. Clearly, you don't own a Mac.

The warranty on Macs is amazing. Just walk in, they fix and you pick up a day later. Or, you can mail it. No questions asked.

Or, some products with an extended warranty (like my Ipad) is a simple swap. Give them a broken one and they give you a new one. FOR THE FULL PERIOD OF THE WARRANTY (my Ipad warranty is for two years).

They have the best warranty service ever.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    The only reason not the buy a Mac is the price. They are way too expensive. They are superior computers and a million times more intuitive, but I could never justify forking out that kind of money on a laptop, esp as rough as I am on the things physically.
    I have to agree with the Mac fans who keep mentioning longevity as a bonus when it comes to Mac products. I just bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago - the last Macbook I bought was in 2004. The old one still works just fine, but it's so old that I couldn't upgrade it to sync with my iPhone that I got last month. It's now been passed down to my daughter, and she couldn't be happier.

I don't doubt that Macs CAN get viruses, but in 20 years I've never experienced a single one. And whoever mentioned that defragging nonsense that is involved with PCs - I don't get what that is either, and with Macs I don't have to.

I still have 2 Mac laptops from the dark ages that function just fine (whatever was before MacBook, and whatever was before that), but I don't have power cords for either one of them.

My work PC crashes all the time and does other weird things that I don't even understand. And we just updated to Windows 7 - don't get me started on what a clusterf$ck that is...

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    MACs can crunch data big time. They would not be able to produce the graphic performance they do if they lacked the horse-power for number crunching. I am in graduate school in math, I use a MAC. Everyone in my dept said I needed a PC, 'til I showed them what my little Air and LINUX can do. An Intel Core i5 is as fast as or faster anything you'll find on a PC. My husband has a Pro with Xeon 12 core system and Hyper-threading. It positively screams!
    I run Parallels on an external drive when I have to use a Windows application.

Even if you aren't doing super technical stuff, you'll save time and headaches by using a MAC.
    Yes they sure can, My ex built from scratch about 15 years ago a huge data base for his business with Filmaker pro. And it is still the most useful thing I have worked with easy and efficient.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The big problem for me with a Mac is the price. There is a difference between "I don't want to spend $1200 for a new computer" and "I don't have $1200 to spend on a new computer."

The Macs, as I understand it, are far more resilient to viruses because they're designed to be so unfriendly to outside interference. Personally, I've never witnessed a virus takedown of a Mac, but I did have to reinstall my new computer's poor OS mere months after opening the box after it became infested with viruses. On the other hand, I am suspicious of claims that Macs last longer (apart from viruses); I've known several older Macs that far surpassed any elderly PCs in my experience for slowness and hangups.

Thanks, guys! I am sure I will have a steep learning curve going from PC to Mac, but I think I can handle it...especially right now while I am mostly just playing with my computer. I'd like to be comfortable with it in a few months as I'm comtemplating going back to school. I wish I was easier on equipment, but my last two computers have died at 4 years do to being dragged everywhere with me. Not expecting this one to have to leave my desk, which is nice! Definitely all food for though, so I appreciate it!

I am sitting with my macbook pro. Can't think of ANY reason(s) NOT to get a mac.

Love love love.

Yup, no virus's. Did replace the drive. I have tons of hardware choices. Vendors, hey, that means consistency of product. More money?? This means LESS time spent "playing with the pc". Gee what ever kind of sw would you want that would NOT run on a mac. Hey, easier to mess with a mac is.

I am not opening my mac although I ***very well** qualified to do so.

I choose mac because I am tired of "playing pc". Mac was first then came pc.

You build your own PC and then comes the problems.

I "roll my eyes" at the pcphiles.

If was "fun" to "rebuild" the pc. Talk about $$$$$$$$$$$$, and every body has a price for the parts, then, then, then, your muther board is obsolete, then the muffin fan doesn't fit right, then you have to BUY another chassis, and then the modem is out of date, and the LIST GOES ON.

Also my friend had some sort of PC. I told her I had a mac. THEN out of nowhere any picture I sent her it was the mac's fault if the pictures didn't show up. Ok, fast forward, now she has a new pc lap top clone, and ya know what??? All pictures go through, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I told her it was her PC but noooooooo. Even if I sent a photo from our pc upstairs, she never knew and still complained. Oh it is the mac. Nope, ***HER*** pc. No fault of mac.

go mac.

Mac came first. pc copied mac. mac is very intuitive. folks are just so SET in pc, they can't do a mac. It is like for me, I learned fortran 4 and then was unable to comprehend basic. Yeah really. I got tired of playing pc games, with the virus, and constant changes in hardware from hundreds of different vendors. Rebuild, ha! go mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytaz86 View Post
    Thanks, guys! I am sure I will have a steep learning curve going from PC to Mac, but I think I can handle it...especially right now while I am mostly just playing with my computer. I'd like to be comfortable with it in a few months as I'm comtemplating going back to school. I wish I was easier on equipment, but my last two computers have died at 4 years do to being dragged everywhere with me. Not expecting this one to have to leave my desk, which is nice! Definitely all food for though, so I appreciate it!
    I went from dinosaur PC that fried itself beyond repair and was too slow for newer (edited to change "problems" to "programs" ) to a Mac book pro and never looked back.

If you get the one with the pad, there is, in the settings, a program that teaches you to use one, two, three, etc. fingers, no learning curve to it, just follow that a time or two and you will get it.
    Last edited by Bluey; Apr. 4, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Ok have a question for you computer people. I have a laptop that is on its last legs. Looking at buying another lap top in the next 6-8 months. HOWEVER it needs to be able to conect to my work PC. And everything I do is excel based. Can a Mac do that?

Yup. mac has more sw and is TOTALLY friendly to all other sw's.

go.

put that pc out to pasture (or dump).

Go ask a "genius" about ANY concerns you have. Mac Genius. That is what they are called. LOVE them btw.

I have excel right here on my mac book pro. I got office. Got word, excel, and entourage, which is MAC's version of outlook express. Works very finely for me. :-)

Adding to say, if you want any music programs Mac it is for composing, one more reason I changed over.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Yup. mac has more sw and is TOTALLY friendly to all other sw's.

go.

put that pc out to pasture (or dump).

Go ask a "genius" about ANY concerns you have. Mac Genius. That is what they are called. LOVE them btw.

I have excel right here on my mac book pro. I got office. Got word, excel, and entourage, which is MAC's version of outlook express. Works very finely for me. :-)
    Macs do not have more software. They have LESS. Considerably less. They're "more friendly" because they don't really get a choice- to not be friendly would be suicide because they represent such a tiny, tiny, TINY (under 10%) of the ecosystem.

And Mac Genuises are, of course, going to tell you their product is amazing and flawless and will fufill your wildest dreams.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by aqhadreamer View Post
    Ok have a question for you computer people. I have a laptop that is on its last legs. Looking at buying another lap top in the next 6-8 months. HOWEVER it needs to be able to conect to my work PC. And everything I do is excel based. Can a Mac do that?
    What do you mean by "connect to your work PC"?

Do you mean connect to your work's network? You'll need to ask your network admin for that information. They can probably answer that very quickly.

You can get Excel for a Mac. You'll need to buy a new copy since you won't be able to install your PC version. If your work is supplying it, if they don't already have Mac seats, you might be stuck buying your own version.

If you're going to be using it heavily for work, check with your employer/clients. Depending on how they're set up internally you might be good to go or they might shake their head at all the difficulities.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    The current version of Office for MAC (2011) has Lookout and no longer has Entourage (and frankly, Outlook looks like Outlook and easier to use than Entourage).

I can VPN in to my work laptop and use CoRD for remote desktop access if I need it.

Office Communicator and Lync both work when outside the corporate network and communicating to someone inside the corporate network.

No Visio and no Project.

If you need Windows, install in a VM.

For me, yes I've used PCs/Windows since the x86's and DOS and I'll take MAC any day.

The total software suite may be smaller than on Windows but it also works instead of having to run the risk of installing incompatible hardware/software.

My SO uses Windows but he has valid reasons for using it and a MAC would not make sense. (He does development for software than runs primarily on Windows.)

I have Macs, have used them since 1984. The interface makes sense to me, but then it's what I'm used to. DH uses PCs, has a lot of experience with them, is comfortable with them. The Apple interface doesn't make sense to him.

I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad and iPhone. I like that they synch seamlessly. When I had a problem with my Apple ID, I made an appointment with the Genius Bar at the local Apple store, hauled it all in, and let the young Genius figure it out. I can get excellent support on-line or on the phone at any time. This is not free, people. This kind of infrastructure costs money and Apple builds it into the price of its equipment.

Last summer I upgraded RAM in all the computers at work. About 20 computers, maybe more. At least 4 different models. I'm not very technical, but the documentation is excellent and instruction is practically idiot-proof.

Yes, they're more expensive. I think they're worth it, from an ease of use, service excellence, longevity perspective.

Default I'M iSHACKLED AND I LIKE IT.

I have a MacBook Pro that I got as a part of a graduate program last year. It is on the list of favorite things I could not live without: which also includes a Chevy Silverado and a Bates Caprilli CC.

I would not have been able to afford this computer otherwise. In fact, it is a large part of why I signed up for this graduate program (I'm someone else's Guinea pig).

This year I applied for and got a new laptop at work. It's a Dell, and came with a projector (I'm a teacher).

The biggest difference between the two is the processing time. I start up my Mac, and it's THERE. I start up my Dell at work and I know I have a few minutes before the damn thing is actually functioning. If I just shut it, I can open up my Mac and it is working right away. It is connected to my WIFI and it is not problem. At work today, I opened up my Dell, and for whatever reason, it decided that it no longer had internet service. I asked other teachers if the network was down: NO. Had to restart to get it to reconnect to the network. And it wasn't even on WiFi, even though it has the password- it was PLUGGED in via an ethernet cable. Took me an extra 20 minutes to shut the damn thing down, start it back up, and do what I needed to do! ARGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    I have a MacBook Pro that I got as a part of a graduate program last year. It is on the list of favorite things I could not live without: which also includes a Chevy Silverado and a Bates Caprilli CC.

I would not have been able to afford this computer otherwise. In fact, it is a large part of why I signed up for this graduate program (I'm someone else's Guinea pig).

This year I applied for and got a new laptop at work. It's a Dell, and came with a projector (I'm a teacher).

The biggest difference between the two is the processing time. I start up my Mac, and it's THERE. I start up my Dell at work and I know I have a few minutes before the damn thing is actually functioning. If I just shut it, I can open up my Mac and it is working right away. It is connected to my WIFI and it is not problem. At work today, I opened up my Dell, and for whatever reason, it decided that it no longer had internet service. I asked other teachers if the network was down: NO. Had to restart to get it to reconnect to the network. And it wasn't even on WiFi, even though it has the password- it was PLUGGED in via an ethernet cable. Took me an extra 20 minutes to shut the damn thing down, start it back up, and do what I needed to do! ARGH!!!
    With a PC, you do learn to get things done no matter what goes up in the air or shuts down, one way or another, thru the backdoor or inventing a new way, that I have to say.
    Now, with a Mac, I have become lazy, everything keeps on working and working and working.
    When I bought my Mac, it was a lemon and they had to send it off to Apple and practically rebuild it, but that could have happened to any one of any one brand.

Once it was running, it never hiccuped again.
    Now, if Wildblue just would not have it's moments ...

They are expensive and you can't play a lot of games on them.

That's all I've got, haha
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night