The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    My point was more I can't go BUY Mac parts and BUILD a Mac. You have no choice in vendors and extremely limited choice in hardware. And tweaking the hardware (last I checked, so correct me if my information is out of date) is simply not possible.

For the record, I actually did Mac tech support for 4 years during the system 7 years. And I have an old SE trundling along with 6.0.8 that I love, I have a working Classic and a working Performa 475. And an old ImageWriter that still works. So I'm not a Mac "hater" by any means. I used and loved them most of my youth, struggling with exporting between programs and even different 3.5 formats. And I am obviously well aquainted with how robust Apple hardware can be.

But I roll my eyes at the Macphiles who just say "buy a Mac" and say dumb things like "they get no viruses" and "they never fail", and seem oblivious to some rather large considerations to weigh: lack of hardware choice, lack of vendor choice, more money for less hardware and a more limited software catalog. It's not that I think these things disqualify a Mac from contention but in my mind they are pretty serious things to consider when choosing a platform.

As for the voiding warranty thing, yeah, that happens anytime you open the case on any production line PC.
    BUT IT'S SO PRETTY!!!

My point was more I can't go BUY Mac parts and BUILD a Mac. You have no choice in vendors and extremely limited choice in hardware. And tweaking the hardware (last I checked, so correct me if my information is out of date) is simply not possible.

But I roll my eyes at the Macphiles who just say "buy a Mac" and say dumb things like "they get no viruses" and "they never fail", and seem oblivious to some rather large considerations to weigh: lack of hardware choice, lack of vendor choice, more money for less hardware and a more limited software catalog. It's not that I think these things disqualify a Mac from contention but in my mind they are pretty serious things to consider when choosing a platform.
    Sure you can. There is a limited amount of "shells," to be sure, but there's no reason you can't install OSX on any old SATA hard drive.

As for the second paragraph, I never said any of that and agree that they are considerations. But quite frankly, for the average computer user who just wants iTunes, a photo software, and an internet browser, none of it matters. And the OS is undeniably user-friendly, even if you pay a premium for branding.

I have a dell laptop and would love to go with a MacBook. Does anyone know if I would be able to transfer my Microsoft Money program that I keep my banking/checkbook stuff on, onto a Mac or would I have to start all over with it?
    That is what is keeping me from buying one right now....

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    I have a dell laptop and would love to go with a MacBook. Does anyone know if I would be able to transfer my Microsoft Money program that I keep my banking/checkbook stuff on, onto a Mac or would I have to start all over with it?
    That is what is keeping me from buying one right now....
    Unless you dual-boot your MacBook, no, you cannot bring it with you.

There are great Mac-friendly alternatives, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Sure you can. There is a limited amount of "shells," to be sure, but there's no reason you can't install OSX on any old SATA hard drive.

As for the second paragraph, I never said any of that and agree that they are considerations. But quite frankly, for the average computer user who just wants iTunes, a photo software, and an internet browser, none of it matters. And the OS is undeniably user-friendly, even if you pay a premium for branding.
    A Hackintosh is always an option.

And I agree that for the average computer user, they are not considerations at all beyond perhaps getting less for your money. And most people will get by just fine with something equal to a toaster.

But the idea that you don't need much computer brings to the surface: why should you pay $1200 when you can get what you need for $400?

There are arguments on both sides of the fence. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I am saying it's something a buyer needs to consider. For the record, I don't even use Windows if I can avoid it. Mac OS is a *nix offshoot, and I use Linux day to day. I'm not really that far afield. I actually feel like I have the best of both worlds. >

With the Mac you're buying a brand, robust but limited & locked-down hardware, an eco system, a sexy-looking OS and the promise of legendary service (your mileage may vary) You pay more for less hardware, but depending on how you value everything else, you might find it crazy to buy anything else. My parents and sister are in this camp- they've all decided the "experience" is worth the money.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

1 members found this post helpful.

But the idea that you don't need much computer brings to the surface: why should you pay $1200 when you can get what you need for $400?
    Because Apple is really, really good at marketing.

UGH! Macs! I manage a network for a small company. Guess which computer gives us the most problems? The Macs tend to forget how to talk to the Lexmark printer just randomly. They are a big fat PITA!

As for those people who say their macs have been running for years, I can say the same things about my Dells. I've got a really old laptop that I beat on. That thing keeps on running. It's missing a control key but other than that, it is gold. I keep it running Windows XP to test newer software programs on older OSs.

2 members found this post helpful.

MACs can crunch data big time. They would not be able to produce the graphic performance they do if they lacked the horse-power for number crunching. I am in graduate school in math, I use a MAC. Everyone in my dept said I needed a PC, 'til I showed them what my little Air and LINUX can do. An Intel Core i5 is as fast as or faster anything you'll find on a PC. My husband has a Pro with Xeon 12 core system and Hyper-threading. It positively screams!
    I run Parallels on an external drive when I have to use a Windows application.

Even if you aren't doing super technical stuff, you'll save time and headaches by using a MAC.
    Last edited by nhwr; Apr. 1, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    MACs can crunch data big time. They would not be able to produce the graphic performance they do if they lacked the horse-power for number crunching. I am in graduate school in math, I use a MAC. Everyone in my dept said I needed a PC, 'til I showed them what my little Air and LINUX can do. An Intel Core i5 is as fast as or faster anything you'll find on a PC.
    I run Parallels on an external drive when I have to use a Windows application.

Even if you aren't doing super technical stuff, you'll save time and headaches by using a MAC.
    Yes, Intel Core i5s exist in PCs as well. I happen to have three of them.

DH has a PC, I have a Macbook. Mine was a graduation gift from my parents for graduating in the top ten of my high school class -- it's almost 6 years old and the only problem I have with it is that the battery is so old that it holds about 20 minutes of charge (maybe less) -- however, as time has gone on I don't take it with me, and if I want to print something for one of my college classes it's easier to just use a lab computer.

We are always having issues with DHs computers. Perhaps not issues, but annoying little things -- it always 'forgets' our printer, doesn't like iTunes/his iPhone, and other assorted stuff. Nothing big, but it's somewhat annoying. That being said, DH doesn't like the Mac OS interface, whereas I do -- it's easier for me to keep my desktop 'clean'.

I have lots of friends who are engineers/CS majors and they all (well, almost all) have PCs - they like them because they're easier to build/rebuild/play with/etc. And that's cool for them -- but I don't want to touch anything with my computer's hardware.....I just want it to be able to run all my other programs! It's really the personality of the computer user. Do I think Macs are 100% superior to all other computers? No. But I would take a Mac over anything else any day of the week.

Also, someone mentioned poor customer service with Apple? We've been through iPhones, iMac, Macbook, etc in my family, and I've never had anything less than absolutely stellar service.... Walking into the store looks like quite the cluster, but they're very good at streamlining everything at the Genius Bar!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    An Intel Core i5 is as fast as or faster anything you'll find on a PC.
    Most (not all) intel core i5s are dual core processors. My PC has a quad core i7 and I guarantee that it is faster than any i5, not to mention that the multiple cores allows it to carry out many more tasks at once than a dual core (assuming your OS can handle the multiple cores, which I believe only Linux can). In any case, the i5 and i7 delineation is only for intel and doesn't guarantee anything. There are also AMD processors than can out perform intel processors too. The GHz rating for each of the cores really tells you haw fast things can move. And to note, my parents have a 6 core AMD processor and the OS to back it up, and I guarantee that thing runs MUCH faster than your i5. Basically what I'm saying here is, you can't make broad generalizations based on the name of the processor. It is so much more involved than that because so many things can contribute to the speed of the processor besides just the processor itself.

Alright, back to the OP. I am neither a MAC nor a PC person. However I run windows 7 more than any other OS. I have been BURNED by apple multiple times. Their products are grossly overpriced. PC's are great if you take care of them and you can't beat the price.

However, if you truly want the best bang for your buck, get a PC for cheap and dual boot Linux. There are really no viruses there, and the system runs flawlessly. All the software is free and you can get tons of help online from fellow linux users.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I can use Mac, PC, and Linux comfortably. I prefer not to use Mac. I definitely prefer not to buy Macs, because if I can't build the thing from the ground up myself, I want a wider variety of options than Mac offers, and I want to really easily change hardware out. While I have never had cause to do it, my understanding is that it is more difficult to do hardware swaps on your own with Mac, in part because of the design of that sexy exterior. No quibbles with the OS. With the right hardware configuration they can all do what I want them to do with no problems (gaming, word processing, SPSS, internet, programming, Photoshop, occasional Flash.) I don't care for the interface layout and I find navigating them to be a little harder than it has to be (yes, yes, I know all those fun things you can do to make it "right-click.")

I currently have a Lenovo running Win7 and an ancient and interior-Frankenstein Toshiba running Linux.

So: if it comes off the shelf with your tech specs, you don't mind dual-booting if you need to run Win-only software, and you like the interface, there is no reason in my mind why you shouldn't get a Mac.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

For me, I like PC - I've worked on PC all my life, and am happy with it. If you treat a PC right, you'll have it for years - mine tend to die from spills in my keyboard before they're truly ready to pite the dust.

That said, my next laptop will be a Macbook. I want it for film editing. Oh, and I also HATE windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytaz86 View Post
    I'm a PC user, have been all along, since for so long there were so many issues with compatibility. It seems that this is no longer the case. I am due for a new computer- my current one has a screen held together with binder clips and a battery life of 0.00001 seconds- but it survived nursing school with me, so I figure it's paid it's dues! I have an ipad, which I love, and my mom has a mac that she loves. My only concern is that they are so spendy. So- are they worth the extra money? And is there any reason that a PC is still a better machine? Thanks!

It'll drive you nuts. I had to go buy another Samsung Laptop PC (Intel Core i7).
    If you are used to a PC/Windows machine, Apple just does everything wierd.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I love my MAC... however I use it mainly for Internet, photos, and making videos.

The only complaint I have is that not all software / hardware is compatible. The first time I tried to upload a video from my camcorder (a sony) I found out that it was not compatible. But I did an internet search and found a free App that converted the video into video that was compatible. and the App was Free! so it was a little bit of a hassle but works great now.

I just have to be aware when I buy software or a new camera etc that it is compatable.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    However, if you truly want the best bang for your buck, get a PC for cheap and dual boot Linux. There are really no viruses there, and the system runs flawlessly. All the software is free and you can get tons of help online from fellow linux users.
    Well, there are viruses and nasty bugs, but obscurity and small market share offers us some degree of protection in that department.

But there is truth in your statement. Assuming you don't have some specific reason for wanting a PC or Mac (eg, you are a gamer) the most value for your money is PC hardware running a light-weight Linux distro. You really can buy a $400-$500 laptop and expect it to be pretty nice.

Depending on your computing needs a Linux swap might be totally painless. This is especially true if you have a Droid and already exist mostly in the cloud, and don't do any gaming.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

The other thing besides graphics that Macs are really good for is music production/editing. A lot of the programs are still Mac-native and only port over to PC a year or so later. (Less so nowadays however.)

The other real downside besides the ones Littleum mentioned is: if you ever have to take it to work for any reason, good luck getting it to connect to a Windows-based server.... And good luck sharing files between the Mac & Windows versions of MS Office. It works, but they'll get corrupt eventually unless you run a PC virtual machine on your Mac.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    So: if it comes off the shelf with your tech specs, you don't mind dual-booting if you need to run Win-only software, and you like the interface, there is no reason in my mind why you shouldn't get a Mac.
    You don't have to dual boot to run Win software. Take advantage of VMs (virtual machines) if there is a need to run something (Linux, Windows) on your MAC concurrent with the MAC OS.

I am in IT and it has been a long time since I had the urge or need to swap out or replace hardware inside the box. I started 3 1/2 years ago replacing a Wintel desktop with an iMAC. Since then added a Macbook, iPad and iPhone. They all work together.

I have an Apple store locally and have taken advantage of the Genius Bar a few times.

I was able to upgrade the memory in the iMAC with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    It'll drive you nuts. I had to go buy another Samsung Laptop PC (Intel Core i7).
    If you are used to a PC/Windows machine, Apple just does everything wierd.
    Can you (or anyone else who feels this way) elaborate on what is so different between a Mac and a PC? I hear this all the time, and I don't understand it at all. I've had Macs for about 20 years, but have used PCs in school and work, and I've NEVER had problems using both, and transferring information from one to another. I genuinely don't understand what it is about Macs that diehard PC users find oh so confusing.

Mac here!

I am computer stupid...I have to work on a PC at work and had always had PCs. A friend talked into a Mac when my PC died. It too my 3 weeks to figure it out but OMG I.Will.Never. go. Pc. again! It is simple and it doesnt argue with me lol. My pc I have at work has soooo many times almost had a "accident" ... I have a Ipad iPod iPhone and a Mac pro they all work totally seamless in every way. Mine is 4 yrs old and still super fast and its tough as I am hard on them.

Yes there is a learning curve and sometimes Mac doesn't play well with others but by far and large its well worth it.

An my friend said once you go Mac you never go back...