The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default contract for horse lease

I have a little paint mare that I am lending to a friend for 3 months this summer for her riding camp. She is a good friend and very responsible, good horse person and has a nice place. It will be great for my little mare to get all the attention and pampering of a bunch of kids. I am also hoping she loses some weight there as she will get more work and her pastures are not as lush as mine. My question is I still think I should have an agreement written out just for clarity...what would you all think needs to be in it? I was thinking:

farrier and basic vet things covered by her during the time with her. By vet things I mean if she cuts herself while there...small routine things that might happen. She is current on all her vaccines and deworming by me. If something major was to happen (colic, etc) I would pay that.

Should I supply my grain? I know she feeds a different grain but I want to keep her on the same.

This is a small little camp that she runs...no shows, not large groups. So I know she won't be over worked/ used. They do some walk/ trot stuff and a lot of horsemanship things (grooming, tacking up, etc.).

What am I missing?
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I got a lease contract from a fellow cother that I use for my lease. I'd be happy to email it to you if you'd like. (If I can find it!)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.