The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help me with supplements, also Platinum Performance?

Our pony is getting a seemingly endless array of supplements.... yes she is high maintenance, but I am wondering if I could lessen the amount with a different type of supplement, maybe something like Platinum Performance. Here is her scoop:

• Age unknown, probably between 11-13 at this point
    • Definitely want to use a joint supplement as she's not a spring chicken and she works hard
    • She coughs every ride no matter the season
    • She has very sensitive skin, will get rubs from anything but a fleece girth, even has rubs from DD's paddock boots right now
    • Her coat is good, she doesn't really grow coat in the winter, was clipped in Nov and never grew anything back except a bit on her face
    • Her hooves are good, no cracking etc, she wears only front aluminum shoes
    • Hard keeper in the winter
    • Mare
    • Came to us very gassy, has been improved on Pro CMC
    • Girthy
    • Somewhat hot :-)

What I have her on now:

• 8 cups/day of Blue Seal Sentinel LS which maintained her weight over the winter (will drop amount when grass comes)
    • Omega (this will also probably be dropped when the grass comes up)
    • Cocosoya (again for winter weight maintenance)
    • Smart Flex Senior
    • Smart Calm Ultra
    • Cough Free (this has stopped her cough. We ran out for a week and it came back)
    • Pro CMC
    • Depo

All of the above maintains her pretty well and she currently looks and moves amazing, but I really wonder if there is something that will be one supplement that will hit a few of these? Wondering specifically about Platinum Performance? says it supports digestive health and allergy issues... in addition to senior/joint needs. Any experience

Sounds like a pony who doesn't really need supplements other than the Cough Free which has been observed to help. Why do you think she needs one/many?

Sometimes horses are healthy and well IN SPITE OF the supplements, not BECAUSE OF them.

Why not eliminate them, one by one, (keep the Cough Free) and see if you notice any difference. It's very liberating.
    Click here before you buy.

well everything we have done, including all the supplements have helped her tremendously, so the tough thing woudl be to figure out what to eliminate. She definitely needs digestive help and the cough help, and smart calm.

sometimes a animal benefits from something but doesn't need it longterm. For example a horse with digestive issues may benefit from probiotics but once the gut is healthier doesn't need the supplement anymore.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Do you think the calming supplement is needed? I've had a hot TB and now have a really hot pony. Calming supplements never worked but what did work was revamping therev diets and getting them off high amounts of sugar and more turnout. Is more turnout possible? Might solve your ulcer, joint, and calming needs. Maybe the cough too.

It's very hard to determine if a given intervention "really helps" unless one has the discipline to IMPLEMENT the intervention (in this case, a supplement) under circumstances where NO other variables exist, and THEN to have the discipline to STOP it and to observe dispassionately the effect, if any.

A lot of things with which we perceive horses need "help" are passing or evanescent things that get better on their own. Which fuels easily 2/3 of the supplement industry's bottom line, IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

good points all, she is out at least 10 hours per day, so I don't think that is the issue. She quieted down when we changed her feed so I suppose theoretically she could be ok off the smartcalm... hard to say. we had to ride her for 90 mins today and she was still fresh at the end lol. Thanks for all comments, something to consider for sure.