The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of smartphone should I get?

I'm up for a new phone soon, and there are too many choices!

I've had a Blackberry forever, I really like the buttons, but I'm willing to forego my beloved buttons for a phone with a touch screen, Apps, and better internet. I have Verizon service.

What should I get? Android? IPhone?

I like to write emails, text and make phone calls on my phone. I also take pictures and go on the internet occasionally. I might do more with a more agile phone.

I have an android. I heard the Iphone you have to pay the $200 apple care plan.

I don't even have a cell phone.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my Galaxy 2S. I am drooling over the new one. Want. It runs Android (obviously)

I think the question of which phone you get is largely based off which ecosystem you want to exist in, and which UI you like better. My parents are die-hard iOS folks. My mother briefly had a 'droid model and didn't like the UI, so she went back to an iPhone. I find the IPhone interface too protective and it just frusterates me. I also like at the droid will mount to any computer or OS and behave just like a standard USB drive.

If you have any favorite apps you might need to weigh if they're only on one platform or the other.

If you want a big screen, the iPhone can't compete and you'll need to go Droid.

You'll get used to the touchscreen. I suggest buying a keyboard program. They make life better.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I love my iPhone. I was due an upgrade, so I went with the 4s (it was cheaper than all the other ones at $99). I increased our data package from 2GB TO 4GB and our bill went down $20/month. I don't know anything about a $200 care plan. I have insurance, but it isn't much more than my Droid's insurance.

I much prefer my iPhone to my Droid. It's much more user-friendly and "intuitive.". I wouldn't consider going back to a Droid.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

2 members found this post helpful.

I was just about to start a thread like this. I am getting ready to upgrade to a smart phone also. Right now I am looking at either iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III. My husband has the iphone, and a coworker has the Galaxy so I have messed with each one a little. The thing I really like about the Galaxy was the "buttons" for typing/texting were a little larger. Plus the Galaxy has a neat predictive word deal that shows several words at the top based on the letters typed and you can just pick one. Can't see that iphone has that option, it just pops a word up and you can pick it or not. Anybody have any recommendations for iphone over Galaxy or vice versa?

Having had a Blackberry, an Android, and an iPhone, I have to say hands down, I like the iPhone best. It's easy to use, touch screen isn't hard to get used to at all, and, knock on wood, I've had the fewest issues with it. The insurance is a little more per month than it was on my Android, but only like $2 or $3 more, and it was optional (that could vary with carrier, I guess). I wouldn't have a cell phone without insurance because there are just so many things that can happen to them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have an Android, and I hate the touch screen...who was the genius who put the mute and speakerphone buttons right where your cheek hits it????
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

3 members found this post helpful.

I've wanted an iPhone for years, but having tmobile (and locked into the contract) it was not going to happen. But.. I got the Galaxy SII when it came out and I love it so much! I no longer want the iPhone. . . well except for the cute Kate Spade cases

I love my Galaxy S3 took awhile to get used to all the stuff it can do.

I have always had an iPhone, so not much to compare it to, but I loff my iPhone 5. It's very intuitive and user friendly, and I haven't found anything it cannot do. I've tried to work with a Droid (my boss has one and can't figure out how to work it), and found it very cumbersome and hard to use.

I just have a contract with AT&T for the phone; no extra care plan or anything else.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    Plus the Galaxy has a neat predictive word deal that shows several words at the top based on the letters typed and you can just pick one. Can't see that iphone has that option, it just pops a word up and you can pick it or not. Anybody have any recommendations for iphone over Galaxy or vice versa?
    You can download keyboard programs that are better than the native Droid keyboard, and I can't imagine there aren't ones for the iPhone too. This is the I use on my Droid. Well worth the $3 I paid for it and the new swipe actually... works.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=swiftkey

Not sure if you can get it for an iPhone but I'm sure there's an assortment of them.

So I wouldn't let keyboard choices really dictate your choice in phone, because you can almost surely get a program that will make it more comfortable for you.

I think you might also want to consider what ecosystem you live in. Do you use a lot of google products? Do you already use a lot of Apple services? Do you have some specific reason that makes one OS a better choice over the other? (If you don't know the answer to this, you probably don't) Do you have a paticular aversion to the politics of one company over the other?

In which case I'd just say pick whichever one you feel better using or offers you the best deal. I think really that's what it comes down to for 99% of users. I don't think many people have an especially specific reason for choosing one over hte other beyond just personal UI preference.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

iPhone!! The AppleCare is an option but you aren't required to buy it.

I had an iPhone 4, upgraded to a 5, then recently traded it for a GS3.

Both phones have their strengths and weaknesses. The iPhone had great reception and was never glitchy. There weren't as many customization options but it was relatively simple to use (by smartphone standards). It also has the advantage of having LOTS of accessories that are easy to find.

The GS3 is definitely the better phone for the real "techy" crowd. It has much more advanced technology and customizations available to it. The trade off is that a lot of the apps are glitchy a freeze. I've also had some trouble with dropping calls. But boy it's FAST with the internet.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I went from a blackberry to a Galaxy SIII and I really like it (did a lot of homework before settling on a new phone). It has good speed, good memory size, a decent back and front camera, and is very compatible with PC ecosystems. I read a lot on my phone and I like the bigger, super-crisp screen. I also don't need to carry it in my pocket so I don't care that it's bigger than the iPhone. I dislike the touchscreen keyboard (LOVED my bb keyboard) but I've gotten used to it. I haven't had a problem with dropped calls (I think that depends more on your service provider-I'm with sprint) and I use the navigation feature all the time. I would definitely recommend the GS3.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I don't have an iPhone but I really like them. (which is funny considering I hate pretty much anything made by apple)
    My sister's iPhone runs really well and her first one lasted her 4 years, and this one has lasted about 2, and still no complications. The only bad thing about it is that it can break really easily when dropped!

Everyone in my family has Samsung Galaxy. (ranging from the old one to the newest one)
    I absolutely despise Samsung and I am never, ever getting one again. Every Samsung phone I have owned has been a faulty POS and so are all of the ones my family uses. They hate them too. I have had my Galaxy for 1 year and about 6 months ago it started having a lot of problems - Shutting off constantly, crashing for no reason, opening up programs and wasting battery. And its very, very slow. I have NOTHING on my phone except the apps it comes with (which can't be removed) and I am constantly clearing my RAM and it still doesn't run well.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I stayed away from Samsung based on the recommendation of a COTHer that works in the industry. She steered me towards HTC for my droid phone. And other than the idiotic touchscreen issue, it has been problem free. I do not like Apple products for a variety of reasons and Blackberry appears to be dying a slow death, so I chose to stick with the Android OS.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have the iPhone 4S and love it! I'm not a techie and have never had any other smart phone but wanted to add, since you said it was important, the iPhone 4S takes !!!awesome!!! pictures and also take video.

My only complaint is I still haven't figured out how to get pics/videos from my camera to my computer...

Gosh, I miss my Blackberry. They just did an automatic software update on my Droid, and now the autocomplete function sucks a lot worse than it did before and it's now nearly impossible to hit the speakerphone in a hurry. And I spent five minutes last night trying to figure out what happened to the "Alarm" app, which had disappeared and is now rolled into "Clock" and considerably less user-friendly. I don't recall Blackberry doing so much gratuitous yanking around of the users.

The only good thing is that my Droid does work better as a telephone than the Blackberry did. Email, on the other hand, remains glitchy and the touch screen sucks donkey balls. I had an IPhone for a few months through work, and it didn't have nearly as many problems as the Droid seems to have.
    ---------------------------

When DH and I run to the end of our contract in June, we're going back to Blackberry. I HATED my iPhone, mostly for the customer service. I had three glitchy ones in a row that were somehow running up our data. Instead of being able to trouble shoot it in the store, I had to do everything over the phone with Apple. It wasn't fun in the least. In order to not have a lapse in service, they changed my credit card $500 to overnight me the new phone. I get why they have the policy, but it was a PITA. Then it took them FOREVER to refund the money when they 'accidentally' charged it instead of just putting the hold.

I took DH's upgrade in Feb because we just couldn't handle dealing with it anymore, and I got a Windows Phone. I LOVED LOVED LOOOOVED it, except the app market stank. I know they are just developing the phone and everything, so I'm excited to see where it will be in a few years. I had to return it because it I couldn't do the mobile banking on it, which we need since we use USAA and don't have a local branch.

Finally settled on an Andriod and it's fine for now. I'm not in love with it, but it does everything that I need it to do, when I need it to do with. And with pretty minimal fuss or problems. Great app market, easy to use, and pretty tough. DD carries it all over. My only complaint is that the battery life isn't as great, but I have a wall and a car charger, so it's usually not a huge PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.