The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

That's gorgeous!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    So jealous of those jumps!!!

I'm in the middle of a master bedroom/bath redecoration. (so my house looks like a bomb hit it)
    Today I'm making a padded headboard for the bed. I'm waiting for some glue to dry before the next steps. Mr Blue is away right now, so I'm getting it done and finished before he gets home.

I'll tell ya, the hardest part of the redo so far has been finding fabric! I gave up going to fabric stores...that amazingly carry rows and rows of crap and only a handful of home decor fabric options that are ridiculously overpriced. And ugly. I lucked out finding inexpensive but gorgeous material in Marshall's...as a pair of curtain panels. So that's going on the headboard. But I couldn't find anything to use for new drapes in the colors I wanted...not even as drapes.
    My headboard is waiting in the garage for warmer weather, and then I too am upholstering it.
    I am using drop cloth.

My whole room is getting a redo... slowly... I've been in the midst of making my new duvet cover for MONTHS. I'm waiting for reading glasses- sewing by hand is now impossible with these glasses or without glasses. Aging ain't pretty.
    I bought a great old wool blanket at Salvation Army, and dyed it with Rit the most fabulous shade of lavendar. Of course I broke the washer in the process. So a great blanket for $4, and then a broken washer. Thankfully DH was able to fix it with a $20 part, other wise I woulda' had alotta' making up to do.

Many of the rooms in my house have curtains made with table cloths from TJ Maxx, Marchalls, Home Goods and the rest. Fabric is so expensive! Fabric and wallpaper is my obsession.

I have a blog of the upcycling projects I do:
    SoLongFarm.blogspot.com

Stopped writing it a while ago though, readership was slow and life got busy.

I've fairly crafty but don't have much time and in the warmer months have NO time.

I've done cross-stitch, needlepoint (that lasted 1 project), candle-making, soap making, and jewelry.

The jewelry seems to be the thing I'm best at, and I recently opened an Etsy store but don't have much inventory, need to buy supplies, and don't have much time to do it.

I haven't gotten up the courage to try making cold process soap. I've only done glycerine and rebatched. Next on the list to try is Ribbon Quilts. I have 2 relatives that are OBSESSED with quilting, and I have inherited a hand me down sowing machine. Not sure how this is going to go. The machine seems to have trouble with tension and I've struggled just with catnip toys.

If you feel the urge to buy earrings... here ya go!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/EarringsbyJennifer

Wish I knew how to post pictures....

We dug up an old heavy horse horseshoe from the Hundson's Bay days when this property was part of their farm here in Langley,BC.

The shoe had a toe clip on it and heels and one day, fiddling around with a chopstick I realized the shoe laid horizontal. A friend with a glass company made a top for it, my husband polished off the rust and siliconed it onto the glass, and it makes a really neat trivet for a potted plant, teapot, etc.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    I've fairly crafty but don't have much time and in the warmer months have NO time.

I've done cross-stitch, needlepoint (that lasted 1 project), candle-making, soap making, and jewelry.

The jewelry seems to be the thing I'm best at, and I recently opened an Etsy store but don't have much inventory, need to buy supplies, and don't have much time to do it.

I haven't gotten up the courage to try making cold process soap. I've only done glycerine and rebatched. Next on the list to try is Ribbon Quilts. I have 2 relatives that are OBSESSED with quilting, and I have inherited a hand me down sowing machine. Not sure how this is going to go. The machine seems to have trouble with tension and I've struggled just with catnip toys.

If you feel the urge to buy earrings... here ya go!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/EarringsbyJennifer
    Cold Process soap is so fun! If you ever want to get into it please let me know and I'll enable you! Melt and pour is nice for instant gratification though.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Angela, I'm jealous you can sew, blind eyes or not. I can do the bare basics, like getting a button back on or fixing a rip in a seam. And small hem jobs. Anything longer than a couple inches and I can stitch a straight line.
    I cheat on sewing projects...like the leftover drape that I used for the headboard I'll turn into a couple throw pillow covers. With either stick on velcro or fabric glue instead of sewing.
    Fabric is expensive! Ridiculously so! The few home decor type fabrics the fabric stores had were homely and started at $48 per yard. And we're not talking nice stuff. I forgot about Home Goods! There's one a few towns over, maybe I'll hit them to see what they have. I'd love some nice fabric to cover the roller shades with, makes them much improved looking.
    I'm redoing the whole room too. Finished the painting today, I think I'm wearing as much paint as the walls.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm jealous of those who can sew, too.
    Both my grandmother and mother were/are very good knitters and stichers (I still have several gorgeous wool sweaters that they made for me years ago, and they're still in great shape.)
    I wish I had let them teach me back in the day. But I was too much of a tomboy to let that happen. *sigh*

I can still do a fairly decent job at hemming stuff, even tho I hate it. My next project will be changing the lining on a skirt I just bought.
    Skirt is made of a gorgeous silk/cotton embroidered eyelet fabric, but the lining is...polyester! I HATE synthetic materials. So I'm going to remove it and try to sew a cotton or silk lining in its place.
    Wish me luck...lol

Ruth, nice earrings, good luck on your Etsy store! I had fun while mine was up.
    Maybe some day I'll start making jewelry again, when I have more time!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!