The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LOVE THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    i've been on a "crafting with cool artifacts from my barn" kick lately. This farm is just filled with objects and surfaces with rich history.
    For my Dad's xmas gift I painted sailing flags on squares of barnwood, distressed the paint a bit so they looked old, and glued them to another piece of barnwood. (He's rebuilding a sailboat, hence the sailing-themed gift) In this pic, the blocks aren't all lined up and straight yet b/c I was just playing around with placement and trying to decide which board to use as my "base" (I went with the red one).
    And this is a horse-hair nest that birds make from our horses's tails, and I cut a shadow box type frame out of an ancient door that was out in the shop. I always loved the many colors peeking out from behind chipping paint.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I love granny squares!! Just love putting the different colors together and how quick the squares go. Putting them together... not so much. LOL

These are some I've made in the past: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3391978&type=3

And a couple of more current ones:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The colors on this are a lot brighter than the pic shows:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Also did one in Seahawks colors and one in WSU colors for my uncles for Christmas. No pics of those online tho.

2 members found this post helpful.

No pictures yet, but I'm making my nephew's wife and her sister scarves. (Auntie has been super helpful with the kids when nephew deployed, so she deserves a nice gift!). Making grand niece and her best friend these adorable little drawstring purses. Halfway done with a baby blanket for grand nephew and then doing one for a friend.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I am making a Christmasy table runner using some of these designs http://www.gracefulembroidery.com/Ce...ollection.html
    on teal silk. If i Don't mess it up it is going to be gorgeous.
    Last week I made Mr P a sweatshirt with a CARDINALS design....we both graduated from U of L.
    I've posted this https://plus.google.com/photos/10340...05905802762866 before

I have a 12 thread commercial embroidery machine...no talent on my part
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I make these as baby shower gifts

Diaper cake for a boy: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Gender neutral: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I'm working on one for a girl but she's not due to arrive until June so it's barely started.

I'm working on a big quilt for my best friend ( sister basically) wedding present. I've put a deadline on getting it done by the end of the month since the wedding was closing in on 2 yrs ( in late august). So made good progress on it today.

After this one is done, I have another wedding present quilt to start/finish by end of June. I'm heading back to Alberta for a visit so want to be able to deliver them both in person

Both are the "jelly roll" type of quilt fabric.

P.

I've made and painted silk scarves in my late teens and 20ies. I loved making them. I'd set the colors in my parents' pressure cooker...they didn't like that much, lol! Some day I'll start again. Sewing the hems was a pain tho, I wish I could find a way to just concentrate on the painting.

More recently I've made, and sold, sterling silver and gemstones jewelry, and horse hair bracelets. I sold locally, and used to have a store on Etsy but had to close it, too many orders, not enough time with my full time job! So now I just do "special orders" or gifts for friends and family, but don't advertise anymore. I'm only posting the link because it has pictures of some of the items I made / sold.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClairesGems..._sales_leftnav
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I've made and painted silk scarves in my late teens and 20ies. I loved making them. I'd set the colors in my parents' pressure cooker...they didn't like that much, lol! Some day I'll start again. Sewing the hems was a pain tho, I wish I could find a way to just concentrate on the painting.

More recently I've made, and sold, sterling silver and gemstones jewelry, and horse hair bracelets. I sold locally, and used to have a store on Etsy but had to close it, too many orders, not enough time with my full time job! So now I just do "special orders" or gifts for friends and family, but don't advertise anymore. I'm only posting the link because it has pictures of some of the items I made / sold.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClairesGems..._sales_leftnav
    I am pretty sure they make premade, ready for anything silk scarves.

Silk painting was all the rage back home 20 years ago!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

During the holidays, I built 6 sets of jump wings plus 4 sets of single-post jump standards. It took 7 weekends or so to get them all completed, but it was fun.
    Picket wings
    Angled picket wings
    Lattice wings
    Angled half panel wings
    Half wall half picket wings
    Half wall fan top wings

I may be building a few planks, panels, and brush boxes at some point in the near future. I got some great ideas from walking the Grand Prix field at the last week of the Gulf Coast Winter Classic.

More crafty, I finally have everything I need to make my saddle pad. I haven't cut anything out yet, but I will at some point. The quilting part is going to be the hardest part. Kinda scares me, which is why I haven't really started it yet.

Wow those are great jump wings!

I love seeing pictures of everyone's projects.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNeon01 View Post
    During the holidays, I built 6 sets of jump wings plus 4 sets of single-post jump standards. It took 7 weekends or so to get them all completed, but it was fun.
    Picket wings
    Angled picket wings
    Lattice wings
    Angled half panel wings
    Half wall half picket wings
    Half wall fan top wings

I may be building a few planks, panels, and brush boxes at some point in the near future. I got some great ideas from walking the Grand Prix field at the last week of the Gulf Coast Winter Classic.

More crafty, I finally have everything I need to make my saddle pad. I haven't cut anything out yet, but I will at some point. The quilting part is going to be the hardest part. Kinda scares me, which is why I haven't really started it yet.
    Wow!! They are really nice.

So jealous of those jumps!!!

I'm in the middle of a master bedroom/bath redecoration. (so my house looks like a bomb hit it)
    Today I'm making a padded headboard for the bed. I'm waiting for some glue to dry before the next steps. Mr Blue is away right now, so I'm getting it done and finished before he gets home.

I'll tell ya, the hardest part of the redo so far has been finding fabric! I gave up going to fabric stores...that amazingly carry rows and rows of crap and only a handful of home decor fabric options that are ridiculously overpriced. And ugly. I lucked out finding inexpensive but gorgeous material in Marshall's...as a pair of curtain panels. So that's going on the headboard. But I couldn't find anything to use for new drapes in the colors I wanted...not even as drapes.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the compliments! I built them for my barn's pony club. I don't know if I'll do that many at once again (took pretty much all my time during the weekends) but I'm definitely open if they want a new design. And MistyBlue, I made quite the mess myself while building them. That's how you know you've done a good job.

Right now I am making thigh and rear-end fat. No, I don't want to post pictures.

7 members found this post helpful.

I have really enjoyed looking at all the projects posted in this thread! Y'all are some really creative people turning out neat stuff! And handy with tools too!

[I've started the sorority scarf. Making up my own pattern because I can't find what I want. Only torn it out 3 times so far, and made 2 trips to the craft stores. I think I've got it now! Onward!]

Great job on the jumps wing / standards!
    I've never made jump standards like these, but over the years I have made / painted panels, tubes etc. I love trying the find the scariest designs (but still easy) to desensitize my mare with. It's worked wonders for her.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Awesome stuff... I have a list of things I want to do.. .recently saw jewelry stamping and it looks really cool... anyone make horsehair bracelets? I'd love to learn how to make those!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Got the baby afghan back from being blocked and took a pic before I sent it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0125_001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	37898

I think they'll like it....

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Got the baby afghan back from being blocked and took a pic before I sent it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0125_001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	37898

I think they'll like it....
    that's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    that's beautiful!
    Thank you! I'm not experienced enough to do a fancy knitting job, so I decided to pick a simple pattern and then find an interesting yarn. The stuff I used was so fun to knit with - each skein was different altho the same basic colors were in all of them. You never knew what was going to come up next!

Yep, I'm hooked!