The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Child/Adult Jumper Lease

Hello,
    I am looking for a Child Jumper lease which has been VERY hard to find. I was just wondering how much I should expect to pay, we have a 20-25k per year budget. Do you think that is reasonable? I need a horse to move me up to the 3'6" since ive basically only done the low childrens. The horse doesnt need to be the winner but needs to be honest to the jumps since it will be my first year. What do you think?

It depends on your area, but I think that sounds more than reasonable.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am in Zone 1.

That shouldn't be that hard. Do you have a trainer with good connections?

That sounds plenty, it'd be a horse with a 40-70k price. If you're willing to travel I know a couple if you'd pm me the sort of ride you like.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

That shouldn't be that hard at all if 20k-25k is your budget for the lease fee. That means you are looking for a horse with a value of about 60k-75k, roughly, which is very doable and shouldn't be too hard to fine (and should also get you something somewhat easy with a nice show record.)

If your budget is total costs, including board and lease fee, then I can understand your difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    That shouldn't be that hard at all if 20k-25k is your budget for the lease fee. That means you are looking for a horse with a value of about 60k-75k, roughly, which is very doable and shouldn't be too hard to fine (and should also get you something somewhat easy with a nice show record.)

If your budget is total costs, including board and lease fee, then I can understand your difficulty.
    Rel6, actually when we were looking in Ocala 3 weeks ago, there were a lot of people asking half purchase price on horses. I think a lot of the bigger barns are starting to do that. Granted we tried only hunters and eq horses, but still.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Considering i bought my junior jumper who was competitve at WEF for MUCH less than that, yes your budget is more than enough. Just have to know where to look!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Hi thank you all! We have just been having a terrible time finding one. We went down to ocala and found one but they were asking a RIDICULOUS amount for a years lease so that kind of made us lose hope. Im glad that our budget isnt the problem. Also the budget that we have is just for the lease not including board and show fees.
    Thanks again

As people start coming back from Florida, you'll have better luck. Everything is inflated down there because they know people are looking and will pay it. Now that big barns are coming back with "leftovers," so to speak, you'll have more negotiating power.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yes you should be able to find that
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Rel6, actually when we were looking in Ocala 3 weeks ago, there were a lot of people asking half purchase price on horses. I think a lot of the bigger barns are starting to do that. Granted we tried only hunters and eq horses, but still.
    Interesting. Still, even for 40k-50k I wouldn't think OP would have too much difficulty especially if you're not necessarily looking for the consistent winner.

Also, agree with Tha Ridge. I always started looking for a 6 month lease around March. You can find some very nice horses that may not have been people's first picks for whatever reason for less, since owners are starting to worry about not getting the horse leased for the show season. Other times horses are coming off of lease from the winter circuit or getting back into work after the winter off.

My mare was a super easy, super competitive children's jumper. Granted this was about 5 years ago but she was 24k for the year (her price actually dropped dramatically the following year after the market tanked.)

You should be able to *buy* that sort of horse for that much money.

OP: explain in what way exactly you can't find this horse? Is it that you are trying ones that are more expensive? Is it that the ones that are in that price range aren't nice enough?

There absolutely exist horses in that price range that do what you say that you want. If you're not finding them maybe you need to make sure that you're actually looking for what you think you're looking for.

A safe, fun horse to move up to the 3'6" jumpers doesn't need to cost that much. There's a lot of leeway at that level. But it might not be pretty, it might need some maintenance, it might not have a lead change, etc.

If you really can't find anything to even sit on for that price then your trainer is looking in the wrong places.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    You should be able to *buy* that sort of horse for that much money.
    ^ Agreed.

Maybe I'm in my own world, but I think you can find a reliable 3'6" jumper in your price range to purchase if your trainer knows where to look--something that might need a little maintenance or doesn't have as much mileage. If you have to or prefer to lease, I think you can find one for half of your lease budget. Are you looking for something that is completely auto-pilot/needs to go around if the rider was blindfolded? Then maybe that's cutting it close. Otherwise as mentioned, you have tons of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I have one. Just sent you a message!

I have one possibly 2 - just PM'd you

Dear OP....I feel your pain. For a year I have been casually looking for similar lease situation jumper and the pricing has been ridiculous. One person said I needed 5K a month to lease one and the other prices I was presented were 3k to 4K per month (just for the lease). One horse was 40K to lease or 50K to buy. I was like huh?

So, to all you...yes, she should be able to find something....but people out there are asking ungodly amounts for leases these days.

And if you "ask" around, trainers bump up the lease prices to cover all those extra commissions for the 'referrals'.

I wish there was a 'horse wanted' type website.

I would be shocked if you were tempted to pay above 40k for a Children's Jumper lease. You can find a wide variety between 40-60k when it comes to a sale.

A lot of people don't want to buy, for a variety of potential reasons. For those folks, it makes no difference that they "could" buy a similar horse for the same price. For example, some don't want to take the risk of a long-term commitment -- the kid may be hoping to move up in a year, go to school, etc etc, and the parents don't want to be left with a horse that they may or may not be able to sell. I too have found, like the OP poster said, that many lessors now want closer to 50% or more of the horse's value rather than the 1/3rd that you used to find in years past. And its actually not surprising, because there is substantial risk to the lessor that the horse they get back at the end of the lease may have really diminished in value. So they are trying to get as much of that value up front to take into account that risk.

Try posting a free wanted ad at www.ISOEquine.com
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.