The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird food your animals like?

My cat ate a blueberry yesterday. She also enjoys peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What weird foods do your pets enjoy?

P.C. (Porch Cat-he was living under my porch last year. Now he's a house cat) likes potato chips, and plain baked potato. He likes McDonalds fries, but not Wendy's.

Anything. Including and not limited to food.

I have a dog that is wild about pears. When I'm done, I let him pick off the rest (no seeds or core), he literally nibbles it with his front teeth.

Raw green peppers or broccoli (quickly eaten by the dogs whenever I drop a piece on the floor)

Spicy asian food residue (licked of my place by my cat)

Paper towel tubes (my older dog liked to chew them up, puppy apparently wasn't smart enough to spit out the pieces)

Raw egg shells (I give them raw eggs in their food sometimes so when I break an egg for cooking sometimes I'll toss them the shells)

a spaniel mix dog we used to have (now deceased) used to love pickles. He could detect the opening of a pickle jar, as opposed to the opening of any other jar, from another room!

One of our current dogs (GSP) craves popcorn. He knows when I take the popcorn maker out of the cabinet. He drools just watching me plug it in.

A long time ago, a friend of mine had a dog that loved bananas so much that he could hear or smell one being peeled from anywhere in the house!

I have a cat that loves tomatoes. But I think tomatoes are maybe poisonous to cats so I only give him a tiny bite. When we discovered his tomato love, he had gotten into a basket of cherry tomatoes and was happily eating one.

My Sadie kitty loves bread, yogurt, chips, cheerios, and gold fish crackers. The boys stick to actual cat food.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My dog thinks clementines are the.best.thing.ever!! I start peeling one and she sits right in front of me and does the begging face of the century. Of course she always gets a piece or two.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My male cat begs at the dinner table every night even when I let him sniff stuff and he's not interested in the food. His most amusing love is pop rocks candy (yes the stuff that fizzles in your mouth). I originally gave him a fingertip amount as a joke, expecting him to freak out about the fizzling (mean I know, but he's the troublemaker of the two so there exists some underlying dislike) but he loved it. We don't get it very often, but since he investigates all kitchen activity he knows. He's licked small piles out of my palms and we can hear it fizzling in his mouth.

He also likes ice, and comes flying into the room whenever we're using the fridge ice dispenser. He licks the melting cube off the tile like a popsicle.

Unfortunately he also will eat anything stringy, he chews and swallows all the tails off his toy mice, even the felt ones, chews up and swallows rubberbands, ribbon, snagged carpet fiber etc. I'm seriously worried he's going to end up in the ER for intestinal entanglement b/c of swallowing long strings one day. We try to moniter what we leave out, but he doesn't follow the no counter, no shelf, no table, no desk rule that we enforce with squirt bottles and reprimands.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.