The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hillsborough, NC

I have never made it through Ulysses, though, surprisingly I managed to finish Finnegan's Wake. it was just words, though. I had no clue the whole time.

I actually really enjoy the "wordy" books, like Dickens, Faulkner, Tolstoy...and can't read Hemingway. Just don't like the writing style.

Also can't finish Grisham. His first novel or two were ok, but now i just can't get past the bad writing. Dan Brown is also pretty bad (IMHO, of course ).

I know what you all mean about A Game of Thrones. I've read the first few and was kind of into it, but it took so long for the next book to come out that I would have to reread the first three (or is it four?) and I just can't face it...
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

I'm on the third Game of Thrones book...I've been there for months and months...
    Friend of bar.ka

The second book in the Fifty Shades of Gray books. I pick it up and read a chapter every now and then but it doesn't hold my attention.

Eastern Shore, MD

I didn't think I was going to, but I did manage to slog my way through The Passage, by Justin Cronin - 700 odd pages and it sucks you in by having a decent first 100 pages or so, then gets reeaaallllly boring for the next 500 pages and then gets WAY better (of course, that's probably because I was so bored with the preceding 500 pages) for the last 100.

I'm usually pretty good about finishing (and I'll read awful 70s/early 80s horror novels just for the schlock factor), but The Passage was a test for me...

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    I got through The Fellowship of the Ring and about half way through The Two Towers. I tried, really I did, but I just couldn't finish the series.
    Yep. I had to actually see the movies (bad as it sounds) to work up the urge to finish them. But I'm really visual.

And so far...I cannot finish "Moby-Dick." I really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that yells at literature.
    I would submit that yelling at 50 Shades would not, in fact, constitute yelling at literature per se. Unless we are defining literature very, very broadly.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Western NY

I did make it through Ulysses, in a Joyce class while I was at Trinity College Dublin, but agree that it was mostly just words. Though I do love Dubliners.

I yell at Regency romances a lot when they have bad horse-related facts (which happens a lot). Eloisa James keeps referring to horses being "out of (insert stallion name here)" and another book referred to a livery stable with "tall slim thoroughbreds and barrel-chested quarter horses." THERE ARE NO QUARTER HORSES IN 1810 ENGLAND ARGH DONE WITH BOOK.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I borrowed Gore Vidal's "Lincoln" probably 15 years ago from a friend. I'm still only maybe a third of the way through it and I'm one of those who'll stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish a book in one sitting. This thing for some reason I just can't get through and each time I pick it up I have to start over because I've forgotten what was going on and who the supporting characters are. Not sure what the problem is - I've actually liked what I've read so far but I just can't seem to make it all the way through.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I loathed Atlas Shrugged, and loathe Ayn Rand and everything she pretends to stand for.
    Yeah, turned out I didn't particularly like it or her either. But I'm glad I read it, so I could make that decision. Wont be reading it again, that's for sure!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.