The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by evntr5218 View Post
    i think that i am perhaps the only person i know who couldnt get into the twilight series. it just never spiked my interest and neither did the movies.
    Ditto. I don't count them as books I can't finish though because I refuse to open them to begin with. UGH. Why why why??? Vampires are creepy, why would anyone want to read about them?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I got hooked on Twilight, because despite the terrible writing and awful characters, they were weirdly addictive. I did quit Fifty Shades though, which had even worse writing and even more awful characters. Blech.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
    I made it through, and even read "Bringing Up The Bodies" but holy hell it was a struggle.

It took me about 80% of Wolf Hall just to get used to the narration style and overuse of "he." I forced myself through the second one because I had bought both of them at the same time and since I'd paid money for it, dammit I was going to finish. Wasn't as hard to follow as the first one but I was still so irritated that it didn't really help. heh.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I am sort of an obsessive compulsive reader, and, when I start a book, I finish it, almost without exception. Yes, I read Ulysses. It was a slog, and probably not worth the effort, but I couldn't stop.

There are two notable exceptions: Thomas Pynchon's V and David Foster Wallace's Oblivion. I have read, and enjoyed, other works by these authors, but I just didn't have it in me to read either of these two books. Since Oblivion was a compilation of short works, I should have just been able to skip the soul crushing "Mr. Squishy" opening novella and move on to a later piece that I probably would have enjoyed. But skipping really sets off my reader's OCD, and I just couldn't do it.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Default The Shack

I usually don't read these types of books anyway but everyone told me how great it was. I couldn't finish it. The writing was terrible. The allegory was horrible. I would get half way through and stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    The thing keeping me from Pride and Prejudice is that I can't seem to find a copy that a) is not a tiny-print bargain edition and b) does not have Kiera Knightley on the cover.

And on the Brontes, I adore Jane Eyre completely. Wuthering Heights not so much. In fact, I only finished it for a class and I'm still not sure why I made the effort.
    Do you have a Kindle? If so P&P free as its considered a "classic". I also completely agree on the recommendation to watch a version of it first. Preferably not the Keira (ugh) remake but the BBC version with Colin Firth. Its long but SO WORTH IT.

I could not get through Life of Pi and I've got Barbara Kingsolvers "The Lacuna" sitting on my kindle, un read. I don't do that with many books as I usually just plow on through even if they're horrible. However, for some reason just couldn't do it with these two.

50 shades made me want to gag. I could not finish the first book. I am sorry but the guy was a straight tool bag.

Twilight, I have to say that though it was written horridly, I actually made it through. I did not finish the one where she got married and preggo though. Just too weird for me.

The Grapes of Wrath was a summer reading book and I honestly could not finish reading it. Actually most of my summer reading books in HS were not finished. The Scarlet Letter made me a bit pissy. The Great Gatsby was finished reluctantly. The Catcher and the Rye was skimmed. Eh, I like classics but it really depends on the storyline/plot.

There are a lot of cruddy romances that I could add to this list, but the one author that writes romances that I despise is Sylvia Day. Cannot stand her books or finish them.

Overly liberal or conservative books tend to make me not finish them.

Someone suggested Wolf Hall to me and I am hearing some not so great reviews lol.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Anything by Nicholas Sparks. I just. Can't. Handle. The sap. Dear John was the worst... being married to a man in the Army, I thought it was so stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another one: Tom Robbins "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues". I adore Tom Robbins, I have read and enjoyed every other novel he's written.

"Skinny Legs ad All" is one of my All. Time. Favorite books.

And yet, I just can't through "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues".

One of these days maybe I'll finish it.

I'll read almost anything.

The only ones I've been stuck on were Les Miserables (man needed to listen to his editor), and The Once and Future King which is supposed to be this great version of King Arthur but is really a tedious and jarring story filled with WW2 era pop culture references.

The Old Man and The Sea...I just COULD NOT do it, and I'll read anything.

50 Shades was the worst. I made it through the first book, got halfway through the second, and threw it across the room. DH was shocked, lol. I forced myself to finish the series because I'm OCD like that, but I hated every. single. line. in the damn books. Plus I yelled a lot.

I read the Twilight series and loved it the first time, but I was in a very different place in my life. Tried re-reading them, and couldn't do it.

Wuthering Heights...couldn't get into it to save my life.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Someone suggested Wolf Hall to me and I am hearing some not so great reviews lol.
    My problem with those books was 100% style. The story was fine. The actual writing was beautiful. I just had a horrible time following it and kept getting jerked out of the story trying to figure out who she was talking about at any given time.

example:

"Mark, Todd, Joseph, and Simon were seated around a table. He thought that the meeting would go well"

He who? WHO HE!?!? WHICH HEEEEEEEE GODDAMMIT!

Now, if that doesn't bother you, you'll enjoy the book. If it does, it will drive you so batty you can't even enjoy the lovely writing.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I used to enjoy James Michener - but for the life of me could not finish Hawaii. I restarted it several times over two decades, but never got through to the last page.

I had that trouble with the Harry Potter books. I forced myself through #1, Skimmed #2 and quit on #3.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    The Old Man and The Sea...I just COULD NOT do it, and I'll read anything.

50 Shades was the worst. I made it through the first book, got halfway through the second, and threw it across the room. DH was shocked, lol. I forced myself to finish the series because I'm OCD like that, but I hated every. single. line. in the damn books. Plus I yelled a lot.

I read the Twilight series and loved it the first time, but I was in a very different place in my life. Tried re-reading them, and couldn't do it.

Wuthering Heights...couldn't get into it to save my life.
    Glad I'm not the only one that yells at literature.

I couldn't even make it through the first one, so props to you! I couldn't stop giggling because it was so absurd.

Warning: NSFW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8bee_uo7wo
    Last edited by Superminion; Apr. 1, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that yells at literature.
    Oh, no, you're not alone.

Somewhere around the middle of the 3rd book of Game of Thrones my favorite charachter appears to die - right after he's killed off another favorite. My Kindle just about went through the wall that day. Took me a week before curiousity got the better of me and I picked up the book again!

Also, I'm pretty sure the words F#@! You George RR Martin left my lips that day.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    My problem with those books was 100% style. The story was fine. The actual writing was beautiful. I just had a horrible time following it and kept getting jerked out of the story trying to figure out who she was talking about at any given time.

example:

"Mark, Todd, Joseph, and Simon were seated around a table. He thought that the meeting would go well"

He who? WHO HE!?!? WHICH HEEEEEEEE GODDAMMIT!

Now, if that doesn't bother you, you'll enjoy the book. If it does, it will drive you so batty you can't even enjoy the lovely writing.
    That would kill me. I hate not knowing exactly who. Or when a few people are having a conversation and you cannot tell who is talking.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

A Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule. It's about the author's real life friendship with and investigation of Ted Bundy. Rule was his friend, but also a journalist who later interviewed Bundy heavily after he was caught. The beginning of the book was seriously fascinating. Bundy's story reminded me of Forrest Gump... all the interesting, successful things he did (on top of being a budding a serial killer, but no one knew that yet). I got a bit past the halfway mark and quit because it's a very, very long book and it started to get more into the legal and judicial mumbojumbo of Bundy's cases and less about Bundy himself. The first half of the book was like a reall good crime show, but then it became mostly dialogue, Rule's personal life, and little action.

I have trouble with most nonfiction. Just. Not. Gripping. Recent examples: Threat Modeling, Security Engineering.

Fiction example: A recent recommendation on the free book thread, The Thoroughbred Conspiracy. The villainess was about as three-dimensional as a piece of paper, and I know too much about genetics for the plot to hold up. I quit less than 25% of the way through. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    It took me a couple years to get through Atlas Shrugged.

It's so tedious to start, and I'd set it down and forget about it for months at a time. Once I was about half way through it, it got a bit easier to get into. Honestly, that's the longest it's ever taken me to read any book. Usually, if it doesn't grab me and make me want to keep reading it, I generally don't force it. Usually , if I like it, I can finish a regular length novel in a few hours. I was so shocked at how long it was taking me to slog through A.S., it became a challenge even though my heart wasn't in it.
    I've tried Atlas Shrugged and The Fountain Head and just can not do it! And so many friends that I really am in tune with and admire LOVE the books.

Kuddos to you!