The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Books you Can't Finish

I've been reading the first book of the Game of Thrones since this summer... cannot for the life of me finish it. I do enjoy it, but its not my typical book. I'm not even a quarter of the way through it. I'm thinking its just so big that I'm overwhelmed.

I typically read murder mysteries, financial or self improvement type books. I'm struggling with this one...I wanted to read it before watching the show, but its not happening... so, move on or try to finish?

What books have you had trouble getting through? did you quit reading or finish to the bitter end even though you didn't like it or couldn't get through it?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

If I weren't interested in the characters I couldn't get through the A Song of Ice and Fire books either- the man needs an editor pretty badly.

I couldn't get through Dracula despite being a vampire and other assorted supernatural lit nut (tried several times because I thought it was important for me to read the classics as well as the contemporary fiction. Finally pushed through it, but really didn't enjoy it.) I cannot swim through what is to me the mire of anything Dickens, Bronte, or Austen. It's very much a style thing for me. I enjoy and appreciate tight prose and good craft.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I've tried to read Gravity's Rainbow several times and never managed to finish it.

Confederacy of Dunces. OMG. Horrible book.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

3 members found this post helpful.

I can not get through The Girl with The Dragon tattoo. For the life of me.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ditto to the above (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)... I got to like page 75ish... And regardless of having more than one person tell me it gets better I never have gone back to finish it. If I'm not interested in a book by page 30-40 than it's highly likely I will not finish the book.

"Power Base Selling" A business book about recognizing who has influence within a corporation so you can sell more effectively. My boss loves this book and got us all a copy. I am trying so hard to find what he likes about it, because he's a smart person so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. But GAH! it's like a deathmarch to get through this simplistic and banal crap masquerading as "insight." In fact I was reading it downstairs just now and came upstairs to the computer for a break. Pretty sure I'm not picking it back up again tonight. LOL

PS I loved Confederacy of Dunces. (But yes, Gravity's Rainbow did me in also. Couldn't stick with that one.)
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

I made it though Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx) but I couldn't make it through The Gulag Archipelago.

"A New Earth" by Tolle. Most self-important, asinine BS I've ever read.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Foucault's Pendulum and anything by William Faulkner.

I'm trying to make my way through Austen in the next year or so, but it's not promising. I only recently finished Persuasion after starting it and giving up halfway through several years ago, but I found myself enjoying it on the second attempt. I'm muddling through Mansfield Park now and ... it might not happen.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    I'm trying to make my way through Austen in the next year or so, but it's not promising. I only recently finished Persuasion after starting it and giving up halfway through several years ago, but I found myself enjoying it on the second attempt. I'm muddling through Mansfield Park now and ... it might not happen.
    I'm a huge Jane Austen fan but am stuck on Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey for several years. Have you read the more popular Austen books? Because they are better, but my good friend advised me to start with the PBS version of Pride & Prejudice and it made a huge difference. I had no idea some of the conversations were sarcasm and humor. The writing was very plain and I missed the humor, but now that I've watched, then read, then read and watched other films, I enjoy the books so much more. Still stuck on the last two, though....

I decided against The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo after I heard you needed to get past page 100 to really start to 'feel it'. I don't have that kind of luxury of time anymore...

3 members found this post helpful.

Foucault's Pendulum and anything by William Faulkner.

I love Foucault LOL! I will admit, I haven't read Pendulum, but I love Discipline and Punishment, and Madness and Civilization. I actually just lent my copy of Madness to a 22 yr old college student.

ETA: LOL different Foucault!

I was just having this conversation with a friend, and I suggested that she try Pride and Prejudice first. It hooked me on Austen - the characters are so fully fleshed out and her sense of humor is excellent. Persuasion and Mansfield Park I found more difficult to follow, I think due to my ignorance of the social mores Austen threads throughout her works. I loved Emma and Sense and Sensibility, so I'm quite an Austen fan. I also love Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

Dont like the Brontes, though.

Could not get through Atonement, book or movie. The writing seemed pompous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    my good friend advised me to start with the PBS version of Pride & Prejudice and it made a huge difference. I had no idea some of the conversations were sarcasm and humor. The writing was very plain and I missed the humor, but now that I've watched, then read, then read and watched other films, I enjoy the books so much more. Still stuck on the last two, though..
    I think that's brilliant advice I know I saw the PBS version which made me want to read the book also.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
    Collective Marks by Nancy Feldman

Ditto of Confederacy of Dunces.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I made it though Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx) but I couldn't make it through The Gulag Archipelago.
    Glad I'm not the only one. Might have to try again though, I was a teen when I first tried. It was way too much at the time.

The thing keeping me from Pride and Prejudice is that I can't seem to find a copy that a) is not a tiny-print bargain edition and b) does not have Kiera Knightley on the cover.

And on the Brontes, I adore Jane Eyre completely. Wuthering Heights not so much. In fact, I only finished it for a class and I'm still not sure why I made the effort.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I cannot read Barbbara Cartland

I am halfway through Game of Thrones and totally hooked, but I agree that he could use an editor--I just love the characters, especially Tyrion.

I'm a huge Austen fan. Persuasion is the least enjoyable to me though--I like Mansfield Park okay, but P&P, S&S or Emma are all definitely better first books to try. Northanger Abbey is fun but not too much going on there except for the gothic satire.

I don't understand why Barbara Cartland starts a new paragraph with every individual sentence. I'd like her plots and characters if her actual writing didn't drive me insane.

The one I could never finish was The Great Gatsby. My husband loves it, and I'm an English teacher and know I should read it, but it just plain bores me. Hemingway too; I slogged through The Sun Also Rises and Old Man and the Sea, but eh.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

The Bible. I've tried SO hard.