The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I was never "initiated into the whole make-up thing" either; I didn't start wearing it at all until my junior year of college.
    I never went through the make-up initiation thing either. I started wearing make-up in college after a gay friend (male) took me in hand and taught me how to apply it (after a shopping trip to the Clinque counter at Filene's).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Growing up I was anti-makeup.

A combination of feeling superior (ohhh I don't need makeup to feel good about myself/attractive to men whatever and what have you) and partly because my mother always wanted me to look 'presentable' (Mom I'm going to the BARN. I am going to be COVERED IN DIRT AND HAVE HAY IN MY HAIR! NO ONE CARES!)

Also we can kind of insert a mixture of being intimidated by makeup because no one taught me how to apply it/when my mother or aunts did my makeup it looked like nothing I would ever do to myself (way too much).

And also felt like I scored when I told my SO - I don't wear makeup and his reply was 'oh thank god' since his previous girlfriend took half an hour to put her face on to go to Walmart for what would be 10 minute in and out trip.

Anyway I digress.

Over the past year or so I've started using makeup. Hell I've started liking makeup (currently on a kick for buying eyeshadow and lipstick and adoring the girls at the MAC counter because they are so patient and sweet and put up with my silly questions).

Mostly because I realized A. makeup was for me - I was doing it for *myself* not how my mother wanted or if my boyfriend wanted me to 'look good' or whatever. And so it gave me freedom to play and experiment and just have fun with it.

Also I realized that a lot of my internalized anti-makeup, anti-femininity, sense of superiority because I didn't wear makeup was just a lot of me regurgitating stupid societal views (you know the ones where if you wear no makeup you're a slob/too much makeup you are trying too hard/looking skanky etc).

And hell when I came to that realization it was freeing because I don't care I do what I want.

So yeah I wear makeup for me. Some days I wear a lot. Some days I wear a little. Some days I wear nothing. (None of which is a reflection on my confidence level).

And I'm having fun learning to apply makeup and having disasters and having days where it all comes together.

SO doesn't care as long as I'm happy. And if he did care I'd probably tell him to take a hike because no one is allowed to dictate my appearance but me.

So wear makeup. Don't wear makeup. I don't care. Just don't be judgmental about it. (On either spectrum).
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

6 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE makeup. Not tons, and not overdone makeup, and I'm not one of those women who won't leave the house without it, but I am well-aware that I look a hell of a lot better with makeup and I don't mind the few minutes it takes to apply it. For work and the like, I usually wear primer, foundation, concealer if needed (I have terrible dark circles), powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and colored lipstick or lipgloss. It's really not a big deal, doesn't take long, and makes me look way better. I also much prefer that there is a layer between my skin and smog, sun, air pollution, etc. all day. I'm a big subscriber to the theory that no one should be able to see that you are wearing makeup, they should just notice that you look better.

Although I certainly think it's perfectly fine to not wear makeup if you don't want to, if it's just that you never learned how and aren't comfortable with it, I would really suggest going to a department store makeup counter to a clerk whose makeup you find appealing, and asking for a lesson. It is really not difficult, and can enhance your natural looks.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wear makeup almost every day. I wear it because I love it, not because I feel like I need it, and I reject the notion that there are any rules to it or that women either have to apply it or have to not apply it. There are times and places where one thing is more appropriate than another, but that's it. I don't even believe that makeup needs to be related to "looking pretty."

The 20 or so minutes I give myself in the morning to put on makeup are like coloring-book time for grown-ups, and the products are like my crayons and paints. I stick to mainly neutrals considering my life consists of corporate america and the barn, but sometimes I play with bolder looks for fun, usually just at home. Makeup is art to me (although less so when I do it then when say Alex Box does) -- I love modern makeup and watch runway trends, I love looking at historical makeup, I collect makeup from different countries when I travel...so yeah, I love it.

Which does not mean I feel I need to wear it every day, or feel like I can't leave the house without it. It is purely a joy for me, never a burden.

I wear foundation and mascara. Foundation because I have quite a few acne scars and my face gets shiny, and mascara because my eyelashes need all the help they can get. I'll wear it to school, and if I'm going somewhere, but I don't put it on just to go the barn or if I'm only going somewhere for a quick trip. I used to only wear mascara and eyeliner, no foundation, but then I actually paid attention to what was going on with my skin I'd probably still wear eyeliner if I didn't run out.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

I wear eyeliner, mascara, and tinted lip balm everyday. I feel like my day hasn't started if I don't go through a full morning routine, make up included.

Tinted spf moisturizer +\- concealer set with mineral powder, a light bronzer powder and a little eyeshadow most days. I look pastey and more tired without. It takes about 2 minutes, and I need to apply moisturizer anyway, so it may as well be tinted.

My younger sister does not wear makeup, I have been wearing it since teen years. My skin makes ME look like the younger one and I'm convinced its partially due to the extra spf from the makeup.

I am one of those natural blondes who have super light eyelashes so I usually throw on some mascara. I had horrible acne growing up so I did wear a lot of cover up...now I am so happy that my face is clear I just pop some concealer under my eyes (again, I am so pale that I have undereye circles) and some mascara and off I go!
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!

I'm probably going to comment on every makeup thread there is, because I'm a bit of a junkie! I'm a permanent makeup artist and it's really my passion(next to my horse). As a preteen I was using my art pastels to paint on eyeshadow. Experimented with the punk look in the 80s, some days wore nothing and others full on face. As a late 40s woman there are days that I wear large sunglasses and a swipe of gloss. I usually always wear some type of sun protection,I'm rather found of the powder sunblocks that are brush on. After spending a lifetime in the sun I've been fortunate to have pretty nice skin! I have subtle permanent eyeliner and my lips are tattooed a soft berry color. My lips were always pretty colorless so this is flattering for my skin tone. When I was younger I wore cliniques continuous coverage for riding and it looked heavy but didn't sting my eyes.
    Interestingly there was a recent study out that said people are more attracted to others when there is contrast in the face.

I think makeup is like shape wear. When I wear an otherwise nice looking outfit, but you can see ripples, nipples and bulges in places there shouldn't be any, it's very distracting and takes away from the overall view. Why bother going halfway on looking nice when you can make a few simple, thoughtful changes and have a great look? The proper undergarments create a foundation for looking polished and nice regardless of whether it's under breeches, jeans and a nice t-shirt, or a dress. Makeup to me is the same way. I feel that it's distracting to have uneven skin, undereye circles, and blotches. I wear primer, BB cream, mascara with primer and light blush when I'm going places except for the gym and the barn. I love having different options for eyes and lips depending on what I'm wearing, as it enhances the overall effect of the outfit. I also feel that in a professional setting where people are forced to sit and stare at me for a certain amount of time each day, it's part of my job to present a polished appearance, and that means nothing overtly distracting. Undergarments, hairspray, a blowdryer, and makeup is part of that.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I wear foundation, eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara every day to work. Takes me about 5 mins to get it all done.

Foundation because I need to even out my skin tone but people don't even think I'm wearing foundation.

Eye shadow I go for more neutrals at work but darken it up and play with more colours going out or on the weekends. I have hazel eyes and depending on the shadow color my eyes will either be green, blue or with one shadow in particular..they go a blueish grey.

I'm always wearing the Victoria Secret lip gloss. I like the shine and my lips are never dry when I use them. I find I have to constantly keep reapplying chapstick type projects so I don't use those.

I like wearing makeup. Have been since high school. I go in spurts where I won't wear any makeup at all. It all depends on my mood lol

I will say...I spend more time on my hair then makeup in the mornings. My bangs are annoying to say the least lol and my layers just look blah if I don't do something with it. Mind you my hair and makeup and brushing my teeth etc in the morning only takes about 30min tops. I shower at night since I'm usually riding and don't want to go to sleep smelling like the barn lol

I rarely wore makeup until I was nearing 30 with kids. Now I usually wear a tinted moisturizer and some light blush when I leave the house. More often than I'd like, a swipe of undereye concealer as well to address the nearly permanent purple hue of exhaustion....

Nothing I wear screams "I WEAR MAKEUP!!!", it's more towards re-establishing the pre-30 status quo.

For work, I usually just wear mascara. I've been blessed with pretty decent skin, so I don't really need a foundation or anything for coverage. I only wear the mascara because I'm a blonde with blonde eyebrows and blonde eyelashes, so without it I look albino. Yesterday I was sporting a freshly sunburned face, though, so I brushed some powder on to tone it down a bit.

If I'm going out, though, I'll put on my "whole face" - foundation and powder to keep shine at bay (and because it looks better in photos), eyeliner, eyebrow pencil (again, albino), mascara, generally a failed attempt at doing a "smokey eye" with shadow, and some lip stain.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

What I really want to know is how those of you with short hair shower and wash it the night before and sleep on it without having to spend twice the amount of time styling it in the morning. I tried it again the other day and woke up looking like a mushroom. Even my flatiron was in no shape for that.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    I'm probably going to comment on every makeup thread there is, because I'm a bit of a junkie! I'm a permanent makeup artist and it's really my passion(next to my horse). As a preteen I was using my art pastels to paint on eyeshadow. Experimented with the punk look in the 80s, some days wore nothing and others full on face. As a late 40s woman there are days that I wear large sunglasses and a swipe of gloss. I usually always wear some type of sun protection,I'm rather found of the powder sunblocks that are brush on. After spending a lifetime in the sun I've been fortunate to have pretty nice skin! I have subtle permanent eyeliner and my lips are tattooed a soft berry color. My lips were always pretty colorless so this is flattering for my skin tone. When I was younger I wore cliniques continuous coverage for riding and it looked heavy but didn't sting my eyes.
    Interestingly there was a recent study out that said people are more attracted to others when there is contrast in the face.
    What made you get into permanent makeup? Do you worry about passing trends and not being able to change your look? What options are there for permanent makeup?

I don't wear makeup a lot, I buy a lot of it though...Avon. Anyway, I like to change things up a bit. I mostly/only do my eyes. I'll use gold eyeliner, or black, do a smoky eye thing or pastels. Always trying to figure something neat out. Mascara too. I also think I'm clinically addicted to lip balms LOL, and I like some color on my lips. But generally, I'm a plain Jane.

I am trying to find a good mineral based foundation. I came across Youngblood online but can't seem to find a US place to purchase but maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I worked at Sephora for about 3 years. Then landed an internship and my first job in field sales for L'Oreal.

I am surrounded by cosmetics for 40 hours a week, have access to all the products, trends, technologies. I put a swipe of concealer under my eyes and maybe some mascara (if my computer is being slow to start up in the morning). Most of the time I skip mascara and put on eyeliner (it's faster). The only time I'll get really jazzed up (mascara, eyeliner, blush, concealer) is if we're going to a meeting with a buyer, out to dinner, or horse shows (I want to look good in my show photos)!

I decided to get into permanent makeup after watching my mom have her eyebrows done. I felt I could've done a better job! I've been artistic my entire life, my favorite style of painting is pointillism( tiny dots). I live in s fla where many of our senior ladies have no brows left or cannot see well enough to put makeup on. The heat and humidity make any efforts to use a pencil a smudgey mess after a few hours. I don't follow "trends" like winged eyeliner because the protocol is lash line to lash line, otherwise you can end up with a flume of color . I do a very natural, conservative look that is designed to enhance my clients features. Most of my clientele is word of mouth. Options for permanent makeup are eyeliner,brows, lips, scar camouflage and aerola restoration post mastectomy.

There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead outside in public without my makeup on.

As I matured, I found that makeup wasn't necessary on the weekends, as I got even more mature makeup became less and less important to me.

I do however still wear makeup for special occassions, but not on a daily basis any more.

I've been wearing makeup since early teens. I've always had an interest in it. When I was younger, yes, I felt like I needed it. Now (still considered young), I just genuinely love it. I notice more of the artistic side of it. Some people don't feel awake for the day until after they've showered, had their coffee and breakfast. Me? I don't feel like I've prepared for the day until I've taken the 15 min for myself in the morning to be able to look in the mirror and feel I look brighter, more awake and better! Im very happy with who I am but it is no secret that I feel I look better with makeup..that is why we wear it no?

Anyway it's all about application. Do I use various things? Yes. But when I've just done a "fresh" face, many people have to ask if I have makeup on to know. It's about knowing the products purpose, where to apply and how much. You don't ask a painter to paint a sky and expect him to use one shade of blue, do you?