The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where is the Makeup Thread When You Need One?

I know there was one on a previous OT day, but I don't know where it went.

Can we have a new one?

Basically, my question is, do you or don't you? Wear makeup? Why/why not?

If you're a man, do you or don't you like it on women? Why/why not? (Or do you care either way?)

I don't wear it for 2 main reasons:

I don't like it on me. It feels funny and it rubs off on things.

I was never initiated into the whole makeup thing because my mother never wore makeup, other than lipstick and face powder, so I don't get it. I have never understood why people wear it (that's not being critical, I just seriously don't understand why women do. Men don't.)

Don't wanna start a train wreck, just hopefuly a good helpful thread.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I rarely wear it. If I have a formal occasion, I will wear some, but just the basics (foundation, eyeliner & shadow). I'm of the opinion that less is more; when I do wear it, it enhances what I want it to enhance, but you can't necessarily tell I have makeup on.

I'm 18 and I do, but I didn't really start until I was 15. Even now though, I just wear eyeliner and mascara, and a tiny bit of concealer if I have a pimple or redness or something. But I can get ready in less than 10 min (including my hair). I'm a girly girl in terms of fashion, but not really otherwise (I just got my eyebrows threaded for the first time a few weeks ago!) I think foundation and stuff looks like overkill on most people, but I also think everyone needs a bit of mascara at least!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that less is more; when I do wear it, it enhances what I want it to enhance, but you can't necessarily tell I have makeup on.
    This. I am a fan of subtle makeup when I wear it, mostly to work and out when I feel like it. Never on days like today when all I did was go to the barn. I like a tinted moisturizer with SPF, and just the basics of eyes/lipgloss/blush when I don't forget about it. Basically takes 5 min max, and I'm done.

I'm artistic and I think that's why I like to play around with makeup, but am not wedded to wearing it everywhere.

Yes, I wear make up. However, not 100% of the time to the point where I feel naked without it. I wear it at work because I feel a professional appearance is important as well as when I'm going out. How much I wear depends on what I'm wearing it for. If it's more casual, I wear it sparingly.. just enough to enhance my features.

But it's all about wearing make up correctly! Most people don't.. and the results are awful. Better to go without in that case. It really pays to invest in nice make up, I get some products from CVS, etc but cheap materials don't stay on your face as long, don't look as good, and can even be bad for your skin.

Also, primer is SO important. It really makes your make up go on smooth and makes it stick. I also use a setting spray when I'm done applying my makeup. Keeps me from looking cakey and at the end of the day my make up looks almost as good as when I first applied it.

Lastly.... unless I'm going out with friends, I always use natural colors. Can we please leave blue eyeshadow where it belongs? In the 80's xD

I wear make-up to work, I feel more professional and pulled together when I do. I typically don't wear it on the weekends unless I go out to dinner or something.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

In a business or formal social setting, I think cleverly, tactfully applied makeup does add class, attractiveness & professionalism to a woman. I don't think men are fair judges as they claim they don't like makeup on a woman, but in general they are thinking of the over the top blue eyeshadow/giant fake eyelashes type makeup - some informal tests among my friends have proven men can't tell if a woman has tactful makeup on or not! (well, straight men anyway haha).

That said, I'm at a time in my life when I'm busy as all heck. I actually feel guilty today for cleaning the house - in the end I wish I'd used that time to mess with the horses more or walk the dogs longer. Clean house is nice, but when time is tight, it's a luxury.

Same to me with makeup. If I can get up early enough & feel motivated, I do feel more put together and professional at work that day. But sometimes the extra sleep is worth more! I'm trying to have a life along with being a successful professional. Sometimes that means I show up for work in what I call my "sea-hag" look - khackis, black polo, messy up -do (well what passes for one with me lol) and no makeup. So I don't judge others that don't wear makeup either. It can do wonders & make one feel as fabulous as they look. But it's a luxury, not a necessity.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I wear make-up almost every day. No matter what I do, I get really dark circles (it looks like a black eye) and I just don't feel confident about my appearance when I get stopped by well-meaning folks who ask if everything is okay at home. Concealer, tinted moisturizer with SPF, eyeliner, mascara, and chapstick. Fast, easy, makes my eyes stand out from behind my glasses, and most importantly, it doesn't look like someone punched me in the face.

I do think it's a fun and accessible art form and enjoy playing around with color when I'm out with friends.

I was never "initiated into the whole make-up thing" either; I didn't start wearing it at all until my junior year of college.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I wear a BB cream with SPF in it. It's basically a light foundation, but that is about it for day to day wear.
    When I go out I'll actually do eyeliner, mascara, shadow, blusher, etc but I don't go out very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I was never "initiated into the whole make-up thing" either; I didn't start wearing it at all until my junior year of college.
    The first time I used anything more than concealer and mascara was my senior year of college

The first time I used anything more than concealer and mascara was my senior year of college
    High five. Was it for an occasion or just for the heck of it? Thinking back, I don't really recall why I started, but I think it was probably my sister's fault.
    - Harry Dresden

I wear concealer, foundation and mascara almost every day. It takes me <5 minutes to do apply, and <5 min to take off the eye makeup in the evening. The foundation is a mineral powder that's technically ok to sleep in, but it comes off when I wash my face in the evening. Good makeup should NOT rub off easily.

If I want to look a little nicer (meeting, going out to eat, etc), I'll wear eyeliner which after some practice also takes maybe a minute. If I'm going "out out" to a bar or a really nice place I'll do some eyeshadow and lip gloss/lipstick as well. I'm not a fan of lip stuff because I have to constantly reapply, which I find annoying.

I was taught that the point of makeup is to look like you're not wearing anything, and that's why I wear it. It enhances my natural features. I'm not painted like a clown, but it makes my skin look smoother (I have some residual acne ) and my eyes look bigger. I've had guys claim that they don't like girls with makeup on, but who are surprised when I tell them "Well I'm wearing makeup right now."

If you don't like how foundation feels, try a powder one. I can't feel mine at all, and you'd have to really layer it on to make it look cake-y.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I looooove mineral make up.
    It's pretty much all I wear as far as powder.
    Sometimes I use a translucent powder instead of setting spray to set my make up if my skin is feeling greasy which is nice to have on hand. Wonder if they have a mineral translucent powder though?

High five. Was it for an occasion or just for the heck of it? Thinking back, I don't really recall why I started, but I think it was probably my sister's fault.
    I had a formal debate and since I was going all out (suit and heels when I was on crutches), figured I might as well wear makeup too. I got some compliments from my close friends who knew I didn't usually wear makeup, not to mention tons of comments on my evaluation sheets about being Superwoman because of the heels and crutches combination!

I wear foundation every day to even out my skin tone -- in my family genetics, you don't get pretty skin until you get pregnant, so a basic foundation gets me through until then (lol). I wear Bare Minerals and it takes less than 5 minutes for everything in the morning -- swirl some foundation on (maybe a dab of concealer if I'm having a really bad day) and mascara. Sometimes lip tint if I have extra time.

I'll use my MAC foundation and do blush/eyeshadow/eyeliner/etc if I have a big, fancy event I'm going do.....but that rarely happens...
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

not to mention tons of comments on my evaluation sheets about being Superwoman because of the heels and crutches combination!
    Girl, you crazy.
    - Harry Dresden

2 members found this post helpful.

Girl, you crazy.
    My pants were too long if I didn't wear heels

My pants were too long if I didn't wear heels
    It's called hemming. Or quick-hem tape. Or, in a pinch, double-sided tape and strategically placed safety pins. And flats.

I assume you didn't wipe out? You're a better woman than I.
    - Harry Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I know there was one on a previous OT day, but I don't know where it went.

Can we have a new one?

Basically, my question is, do you or don't you? Wear makeup? Why/why not?

If you're a man, do you or don't you like it on women? Why/why not? (Or do you care either way?)

I don't wear it for 2 main reasons:

I don't like it on me. It feels funny and it rubs off on things.

I was never initiated into the whole makeup thing because my mother never wore makeup, other than lipstick and face powder, so I don't get it. I have never understood why people wear it (that's not being critical, I just seriously don't understand why women do. Men don't.)

Don't wanna start a train wreck, just hopefuly a good helpful thread.
    A "good helpful thread" in what way exactly? You've stated why you don't wear/like makeup. Why do you care why other folks do? Don't understand what answers/help you're looking for.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's called hemming. Or quick-hem tape. Or, in a pinch, double-sided tape and strategically placed safety pins. And flats.

I assume you didn't wipe out? You're a better woman than I.
    Nope! I never wiped out on my crutches, actually, which is amazing because I'm normally pretty klutzy. I had a close call getting on a bus once, but that was really it for crutching near-disasters.