The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hair extensions

Any horse women have them? Pros/cons (besides very expensive).

Any way to play with the look w/o getting them done professionally? Sally's does not have my color.

I had them once. They were a combination of the tape that has long strands hanging that are glued to your scalp underneath your hair, and the small sections that they attach to small sections of hair with a glue "ball/bead".

It took about 5 hrs to get them done and was about 700.00. They were the most annoying/painful/uncomfortable thing I've ever done. You can't scratch your scalp. Can't brush your hair down to the root. Sleeping on them was like sleeping on a bunch of BB's. You had to put your hair in two braids at night so it wouldn't tangle. You can't shampoo as thoroughly, because you can't scrub your scalp.

Once they started growing out a little, they pull on your scalp. Then you have to redo them after 6 weeks or so, which is expensive. I told the hair stylist to remove them, and it was sooo painful. I normally have a really high pain tolerance. But they used what seemed like Gasoline, and yanked and pulled, and combed trying to get the adhesive melted. My scalp felt burned, and so sore afterwards. But MY GOD did it feel good to rub my scalp and put my head on a pillow without all those beads!!

Never again.

My daughter has various lengths and colors. Sometimes she's natural brown, sometimes blonde. She loves them. They look real. They're dyed to match the colors she gets her hair dyed. These aren't the glue in ones. She rides at least four horses a day and works for a dressage trainer part time. Hers always look good. But you have to get good ones. $$$$$$ I don't think any were less than $300

After seeing a news segment about causing baldness I can't imagine why people still get them?!? http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hair-ex...ry?id=14731624

I don't know anyone who keeps them in that long. My daughter takes her out to sleep. She doesn't wear them all the time. She changes her look daily. It helps to have a best guy friend who is a hairdresser and also into horses.

I don't get it. Why? I guess it might be cool to go from long hair to short and back again at a moment's notice, but that's not a privilege I'd pay much for.

- Signed, chick whose hair might get a perennial trim at a Great Clips if it's lucky
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

1 members found this post helpful.

They can cause baldness, but only if they are put on incorrectly or if you are using too much weight for your hair. Your natural hair can break off depending on the weight of the extensions and you have to be sure your hair is in okay shape before getting them.

I've had microbead extensions. (It is a metal or heavy plastic bead open in the middle. They thread the hair in that and then clamp closed. There is no glue or heat involved.) They were expensive but I so wanted them in the worst way. If they had been cut in a style I liked better I think it would have worked out. But I opted to leave them SUPER long. This caused me to feel like they looked bad. (Although everyone did like them.) I freaked out and tried to shower to style them better, and let me tell you. It was hard to wash all that hair and it took me over an hour to dry/style. Which is okay, I don't mind that so much because I actually like doing my hair and makeup.

All this said, I had them in less than 24 hours. I felt like I wasn't going to be able to do much with them and I was so sure I looked stupid. I've told this story before, but I made my husband take them out for me in the middle of the night. He had to sit there for HOURS with a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the microbead. He was NOT happy.

In retrospect I should have kept them and just had them cut again. The hair did look real and it would have been fun. But they are NOT barn and helmet friendly.
    would never do any other long term method of attaching them except the bead. It is the least likely to damage your hair but think of that under a hat. No fun.

If you want them do clip ins. I have those too. I liked them a ton. They are easy to style and to wash.

Hubby isn't a tell me what to do kind of guy, but he said no more extensions (long term ones). And if I did, he would not help me remove them when I hated having them.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

I've never had them put in permanently, well as permanent as they can be, but I have worn the clip ins on and off, which I really like! Put them in when you feel like having long hair, and take them out when you're done. I haven't worn them in a few years, but am planning on getting another set from my hair dresser when my hair gets long enough to blend them again.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad I asked and got some info!

My hair stylist had some and they looked pretty good, although her color did not match exactly. I'm not really serious about getting them done professionally, but maybe try some clip in's that I could take out when I wanted. And I had no idea about the baldness.

I was quoted $2500 for a full head, which is considered 30 or more extensions. That would be silly to pay that amount of money when a good part of my time is spent covered in poop, hay and horse hair!

That's sad that some places rip you off like that. My hairdresser can get real hair and dye it any color for $300. He has been able to match every hair color she's ever had perfectly. Wish you were closer. He does our hair free but I could get you a huge discount on everything

Look for someone in the yellow pages that's certified to do great lengths.I pay about $400 for a full head of long extensions that I wear through the winter. I just had them shortened and reset and that was$ 180. I have the tape-in kind. My hair is really thin on the sides and no amount of romaine or vitamins will make it grow back! I suffered a serious illness seven years ago and it's been thin ever since. I probably will have them taken out for three months just to give my hair a break.

Forgot to add they are very comfortable and no problem under my helmet.

Arabracer, how long was your hair prior to the extensions? I am looking into those!
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Ive been into extensions for years. I love long hair but my hair stops at a healthy level when about chest level. I would recommend two types of extensions.

A less expensive and non permanent way would be clip ins. They are great if you just want them for your weekend nights out and special occasions. They are there when you want them and can be taken out when you want. Once you get used to it, they only take a few minutes to put in. They are also the cheapest extensions you can get that last the longest. Cons would be unless you have hair that is a decent length to begin with, you need to style them so they blend with your own hair. If you have shoulder length hair or shorter, they can be hard to make look natural. Another con would be, if you're like me and like long hair, all the time, they aren't practical to out in on a daily basis.

A awesome company would be Hello Gorgeous hair extensions. They run at great prices and the hair is good quality. They allow you to customize your color and have many options for length/thickness. So if you are someone with multiple shades of hair color this is a great company to look into, your guaranteed to get a good match. Downside, it take a few weeks to get them

If you have a more generic hair color and don't want to wait, head kandy hair extensions is a good, reputable company. Also priced correctly.

The other I would recommend which is on the other side of the spectrum would be Keratin bonded extensions. They are permanent and more expensive. A reputable company to go through which has locations all over is Great Legnths Extensions. Glue, braided in, metal clasps are not a good route to go. They do damage to your hair and don't hold up to look nice very long. The Keratin bond is what our own hair is made up of, it doesn't damage and last 3-6 months. You can hardly feel they are there. If you google, the website explains it all. Price varies but you can expect around $1200. Like I said I love having long hair.. The price is hard to swallow for hair but it is an option.

Hope that helps (:

Any recommendation for clip-in ones? I'd like to try it for fun, but no way do I want something permanently attached to my head and I don't have that sort of money to spend on hair...
    Quarry Rat

Added in my post^

Thank you!
    Quarry Rat

I had the Great Lengths extensions when I was in college. I shaved my head late in my junior year of High School, which is a big no-no coming from a Native American family. I was forced to get a summer job to pay for the $1500 (ten years ago!) extensions to have them in by the time I graduated HS. They were comfortable and stayed in well. I missed being able to comb/scratch my scalp though. The Great Lengths ones are real human hair and are dyeable to match any color. They looked good and I know several people who went and got them after they saw mine. If you have the cash to spend and really want to give them a try, those would be the ones I recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Glad I asked and got some info!

My hair stylist had some and they looked pretty good, although her color did not match exactly. I'm not really serious about getting them done professionally, but maybe try some clip in's that I could take out when I wanted. And I had no idea about the baldness.

I was quoted $2500 for a full head, which is considered 30 or more extensions. That would be silly to pay that amount of money when a good part of my time is spent covered in poop, hay and horse hair!
    I had extensions for a while, and $2500 is about right for the professional, european real hair extensions. They were pretty cool. They last for about 3-6 months depending on how your hair grows out. I didnt have any problems with bald patches.

There is a huge difference in the fake clip in extensions you buy in Sally vs. the professinal real hair extensions. Hence the price tag.

JLD-my hair is to my collarbone but thin on the sides.I enjoy having long sexy hair during our Florida winter but go shorter in the summer. I do have some clip-in bangs that are nice to wear if I've been riding and have helmet hair. No one has any idea it's not my real hair! DH gets pretty excited to see my long hair in November, spices things up lol.