The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling Used textbooks: Is it worth it?

If so, through who?

Many thanks!

You can sell through Amazon

Yes, through Amazon. Some textbooks just aren't worth much, but many are. You do have to stay on the ball and check everyday for sales, you have a 24 to 48 window to get the book in the mail. I won't sell anything for less than $8.00...it's just not worth my time.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I sell through ebay. So far it's been worth it...you do have to time it right - demand is huge the 2 weeks before and week after classes begin and then it vanishes until next semester.

I sell all my books locally, which cracks me up because posting notices on campus and through Craigslist wasn't getting me anywhere.

I usually post on half.com -- I have a shelf of 'for sale' books and just list them, then every other month or so I go in and adjust prices -- this eliminates me having to 'time' the market, and I've had the odd text book sold in the middle of a semester!

What's most fun is when a book sells for more than you paid....it happens rarely, but it's awesome when it does!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Heck yes it's worth it! Even if I get $5 for it, it's $5 more than I'd get otherwise! I do keep books that I use for my major, but anything else gets sold. Real textbooks get sold online (usually ebay), novels are either sold to those buyback programs on campus (usually a ripoff) or to a second hand book store. Anything that doesn't sell gets thrown into the yardsale pile for my parent's yearly sale. Somehow even the really old books will sell there, usually to someone who wants to help their kid with his chemistry homework.

ETA: I once sold an old edition statistics book to someone in eastern Europe, who said that ANY stat textbook is hard to get where he lives. I had it listed ridiculously cheap because it was at least 2 editions outdated, the guy ended up paying more for shipping than for the book!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

If you're still at school, put up a flyer and sell direct to your fellow students.
    Cut out the middleman.

OTOH, some texts are worth keeping.
    I try to pick books that will be useful references after the course is done.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Absolutely. Direct to fellow students or through Amazon. I buy used in good condition and resell in good condition, and usually get at least 50% back on them at the end of a semester. Sometimes 75%- depends whether or not I end up keeping some of the books after the fact.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I always sold right back to the university book store, usually got between 30-50% back of what I paid, if they wouldn't take it no class was using it anymore, so I so have a bunch left, seems like too much effort for little reward to try and sell them now

Definitely - there are VERY few books that I have ever found the need to refer to again later, especially with the growth of what's available online.

I kept all the books from my major, as well as a few others that I felt would be of future interest. I sold the rest back. Unfortunately, there weren't nearly as many options available then - usually I just took them to the bookstore buyback. Sometimes you could find someone on campus who was taking the class next semester. Most of the internet marketplaces were just getting off the ground then!

I've tried to rent as many textbooks as I can. I know not all schools offer this but if its for a class I know I won't need the information later i.e. doesn't pertain to my major, I rent the book. Usually costs less than what you'd lose buying and then reselling it.