The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Your reaction (as a guest) to dogs eating off of their owners' forks.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doesn't bother me. I do it myself.

70 56.00%
  • Hmmm. I don't think I'll eat here again.

18 14.40%
  • "No dessert for me, thanks." (I'll deworm myself when I get home.)

14 11.20%
  • Ack! Where's the mouthwash? Where's the bleach!

23 18.40%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Dogs are our pre-wash cycle. I hate having to scrub off stuck-on food on large stew pots and the like, so dog tongues come in quite handy.

Both dogs are lean and pretty good about not begging. Also, there are some dishes we don't let them lick, like anything that's got really hot spicy sauce residue on it.

What does bother me is cats roaming all over countertops with feet that have been in the litter box.

I tend to not let my dogs lick my plates and utensils when there is company over. Lots of people find it distasteful. When company is not over my dogs lick the plates, pots, and pans clean and even the periodic utensil.

All things get well washed with hot water and soap so not really worried about germs.

My MIL and FIL feed their dogs at the table, while still eating, using their utensils. Now that makes me gag and I will not take more helpings of anything after they have done this because they use the same fork to serve up their next slice of ham, etc.

I do it sometimes....my dogs are all skilled at this. I don't eat off the fork afterwards though lol

msj - your sig-line has me ROTFLMAO - while enthusiastically nodding my head! Will be sharing it.....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    DH almost had a fit the first time he saw it. My opinion? Uhh...scalding hot water and soap, it's not like I eat AFTER the dog. Yuck. But I don't like them licking plates, it kinda grosses me out the way they squish their nose into the plate. Blarf...
    LOL - I feel that way about them eating off the utensils! Sure, they can clean my plates and bowls all they want...but they will never eat off my utensils! BARF!

(I do, though, have a dishwasher and wash things on extra hot setting, along with the sanitize setting.)
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    I have been known to share ice cream cones, and will let my pointer have a couple licks of my lolly pop. He's dewormed routinely so I'm not scared
    This!^
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Why is hand washing any different than washing with a dishwasher? I have hot water and soap. I hand wash because it would be silly to use a dishwasher with just me here. I don't allow my dog to have food at the table but do occasionally let her lick the plate after I'm done. I then wash it with hot water and soap. What's the problem??

I would not do it if a guest was here. Not all my friends love dogs!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Yep, dogs do lick their butts and eat horse manure. Some dogs even eat their own feces.
    ... and eat cat shit and dead rotted things.

Seeing how so many people here enjoy swapping spit with dogs ... I doubt if I'll ever eat at another person's house who owns dogs. What can I say? My father was a stickler for no animals in the dining room/kitchen when meals were going on. I am the same way.
    Now, my late sister and my other older sister would be right there with you all, slurping away

I let my dog do that sometimes, but I would never do it if I had guests over!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    ... and eat cat shit and dead rotted things.

Seeing how so many people here enjoy swapping spit with dogs ... I doubt if I'll ever eat at another person's house who owns dogs. What can I say? My father was a stickler for no animals in the dining room/kitchen when meals were going on. I am the same way.
    Now, my late sister and my other older sister would be right there with you all, slurping away
    Dog saliva has a lower pH than our saliva and they therefore carry a lower bacterial load in their mouths than we do. The only place dirtier than your mouth on your body is your butt. Seriously. Yet we go around kissing people on the mouth right? If you can stick your tongue in another human being's mouth, you can share your ice cream with your dog

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a dog at this time.
    I share my Ben & Jerry's with no-one!

Doesn't bother me, but you know what does? Moms who pick up pacifiers off the floor, stick them in their mouths (!!!!) then pop them back in babies. Seen one do it at the mall, thought I would barf.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

The only place dirtier than your mouth on your body is your butt.
    I don't know about this- I think people's HANDS are probably far "dirtier" than any other part of the body, and the butt is far cleaner than most people's mouths.

It's just a weird, old-fashioned notion that animals are somehow "dirtier" than people, or are full of dangerous germs- simply not true. There's practically nothing you can catch from a well-cared-for pet dog. Unlike people- there are tons of diseases you can catch from other people.

With regards to bacterial load -your butt is #1, your mouth is #2, or this is what a dentist said in a program I listened to some time ago. It makes sense to me from a microbiology point of view. Hands are pretty dirty, but they don't even figure into the spectrum of ick.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).