The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Your reaction (as a guest) to dogs eating off of their owners' forks.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doesn't bother me. I do it myself.

70 56.00%
  • Hmmm. I don't think I'll eat here again.

18 14.40%
  • "No dessert for me, thanks." (I'll deworm myself when I get home.)

14 11.20%
  • Ack! Where's the mouthwash? Where's the bleach!

23 18.40%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I let my animals lick our plates clean before I put them in the dishwasher. That's what hot water and anti-bacterial soap is for. That said, I'd refrain from doing that in front of guests since it does bother some people
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Not sure how to answer this one. I despise pets being treated like furry people, and being fed from the table irks me, because prior to being fed I've had to eat through the gauntlet of begging which ALWAYS accompanies people who feed their critters from the table.

However, we do do doggie pre wash at the end of the meal, on the floor of the kitchen, before they go in the dishwasher, provided there has been no begging during the meal.

So I don't have a hygiene issue, but do have a manners issue.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

5 members found this post helpful.

My dog cleans my plate. That's what the dishwasher is for.
    You are what you dare.

If the dog has finished her own dinner (she tends to be a slow and picky eater and often leaves a lot for later), she gets to lick the plate. Fork-never. If she hasn't finished, she can beg all she wants (follows me from the table to the sink) but no plate. Surprisingly, the last few wks she's finally been cleaning her dish.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I would not care. I don't do it myself...my dogs would stab themselves in the roof of the mouth going for the food. Plus, I don't feed dogs from the table, I don't want beggars. I do put people plates with sticky goop on them down for dogs to lick before I wash them...works great for the runny eggs I like to eat that get glued onto the plate, a dog tongue is a perfect pre-wash wash .

Not at all worried about dog germs, I'm more concerned about bad doggie manners.

2 members found this post helpful.

They lick their butts.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    They lick their butts.
    Guys or dogs? You don't know where a guy's mouth has been.

4 members found this post helpful.

1. The dishwasher isn't doing anything special that you can't get from washing your dishes in hot soapy water. There are three levels of clean (from a microbiology point of view); sanitization -knocking down microbes to a level that you won't get sick. Hand washing, dish washing, etc. is sanitizing. Disinfection -reducing the microbial load significantly. Bleaching surfaces, lysol, etc. Sterilization -removing all microbes. Autoclaving, hydrogen peroxide gas, etc.

2. Dogs have a lower microbial load in their mouths than you do. You're more risk for your dog than your dog is for you.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

3 members found this post helpful.

Only person that I've been present to see that is my MIL who has too many dogs in the first place and none have manners. It's not uncommon in a major holiday meal to have a Chihuahua try and jump up and go to town on the Thanksgiving turkey. Or have the whole pack under the table whining away because they can't scratch their way up fast enough into an unsuspecting victim's lap.

My family has done the dog prewash thing if the dogs haven't been begging, have been well behaved, etc.

My husband tried it a few times, but the dog got a little obsessed with the dishes and began counter surfing more, drooling while we were eating and staring us down, etc, plus the occasional doggie discomfort from having a sensitive stomach which is never fun to clean.

I'm "mean" according to the MIL. Dog has to go lie down on his bed while we are eating...no hassling, bothering, etc. Usually gets a dog biscuit afterwards and life is good.

Really doesn't bother me. I frequently, well as often as it happens, will eat something that's fallen on the floor. I don't mind a dog hair (or three). My mother told me at an early impressionable age that everyone will eat a pound of dirt in their lives so I'm okay with it.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    They lick their butts.
    Isn't that more of a cat thing? Neither of my dogs are old or unhealthy but never have they been able to reach their butts with their mouth, they don't even try.

Um, that's not very good manners, but I couldn't really differentiate options b, c and d. I put treats into my dog's bowl but always let him lick the plate after an egg breakfast. No dishwasher here. On the questionable spectrum with dirty dishes I respond by making sure they dry thoroughly before reusing (dog licking) or bleaching (raw poultry, eg).
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

They lick their butts.
    not very often, and so what? the flow of saliva cleans the mouth out again fairly quickly.
    Humans, on the other hand, often touch their butts- wiping and so forth- and are really bad about washing their hands properly afterwards. People who go looking find human fecal matter all over the place- spread by human hands.
    You should worry about the "dirtiness" of your human guests, not your dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

Amen, Wendy! People are nasty. I start my micro classes talking about fecal-oral contamination (where you get coliform in your food). It can be from dirty irrigation water, but mostly it's from food handlers. Why? Because people do not know how to wash their hands or when to wash their hands.

I always survey the class, "Who washes their hands every time they visit the restroom". All hands go up. Then I ask, "Do you wash your hands for 30 seconds?" and the confidence starts to waver as I count "1...2....3....4...5...are you still washing your hands....8....9...10...11...."

I like to tell them that those times when they thought they'd come down with a 24 hr virus it was no virus it was a fecal oral contamination. Viremia have very specific etiology.

So my thing is; why sweat it? Kiss your dog on the mouth. It is probably good for you.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    not very often, and so what? the flow of saliva cleans the mouth out again fairly quickly.
    Humans, on the other hand, often touch their butts- wiping and so forth- and are really bad about washing their hands properly afterwards. People who go looking find human fecal matter all over the place- spread by human hands.
    You should worry about the "dirtiness" of your human guests, not your dog.
    Yeah, and I'm much less frightened of the germs on dog butts than those on people butts . I've never caught Norovirus from a dog, but I've been sick "as a dog" from human food handlers who don't do a thorough hand washing.

Doesn't bother me one bit but I wouldn't do it when a guest was there.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    How would you feel if you were a guest at some friends' house, and you saw them feeding their dogs off their own forks at the end of the meal. You know that they don't have a dishwasher.
    Why do they need a dishwasher, they have the dogs?
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Why do they need a dishwasher, they have the dogs?

but seriously: as nasty as the inside of a people mouth is....dog is benign.

Hot water and soap cures most ailments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yep, dogs do lick their butts and eat horse manure. Some dogs even eat their own feces.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

If they're not washing well enough to get the dog slime of the forks, they're not washing well enough to get the people slime off either.

3 members found this post helpful.