The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Your reaction (as a guest) to dogs eating off of their owners' forks.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doesn't bother me. I do it myself.

70 56.00%
  • Hmmm. I don't think I'll eat here again.

18 14.40%
  • "No dessert for me, thanks." (I'll deworm myself when I get home.)

14 11.20%
  • Ack! Where's the mouthwash? Where's the bleach!

23 18.40%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dogs Eating off of Humans' Forks

How would you feel if you were a guest at some friends' house, and you saw them feeding their dogs off their own forks at the end of the meal. You know that they don't have a dishwasher.

Wouldn't bother me. Of course my uncle frequently feeds his black lab and then eats off the fork again...

I'm the type that lets my dogs lick my face, will kiss my horses, and have been known to forget to wash my hands before dinner, germs don't scare me.

17 members found this post helpful.

I frequently feed the dogs a tidbit off my fork after the meal. I don't own a dishwasher, either, but I have hot water and good soap.
    However, I realize some people (my mother) are funny about animals eating off the human dishes, so I refrain from it when company's over.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

7 members found this post helpful.

At the end of my meal, I will give my dog something on a fork. He has learned to just grab the food and to pull it off, he doesn't lick. No dishwasher here either.

3 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not a fan of sharing food with my dog. I dont like the begging so I dont allow it. but if I saw someone doing it with there dog, in their home...that's fine. I worked in a barn the majority of my life. I am sure what ever is on the fork that I am using will not kill me.

I'd feel right at home! My father fed his 2 Llewellyn Setters, my 2 brothers, from his mouth, at the table. At all meals at home. And they often went out to dinner with us, but they had to stay in the car. My father said that humans have more germs in their mouths than do animals. And it turns out he was right.

I have always fed my dogs and cats at the table. Dogs must sit in chairs, and cats get to eat on the table. My animals have better table manners than 90% of the men I've dated. Bolting food, eating with both hands, etc., were HUMANS, not animals.

My family always had the best food, and while I'm sure we were always the talk of Savannah about our animals being treated as well as humans, people came to our house every week to eat my grandfather's cooking and my mother's cooking. I thought steak was cheap growing up. All our sea food came out of the river and our cats always have eaten crab meat picked out for them. Our dogs always ate steak and our cats always ate chicken breasts, all the same as humans.

I have no problems with people saying that they don't want to eat with dogs and cats. They can eat elsewhere. I've always shared with my horses too. Growing up it was coca cola with peanuts in it. I've never gotten any diseases from horses, dogs or cats.

I've never had anyone not return for food with animals all my life. Takes some guys a little getting used to, but they always come back for more. (and for the good food too.) Family friends always said they wanted to come back (reincarnation) as one of our pets. If you guys saw how food is prepared in restaurants, with rats and roaches, you'd prefer eating with dogs and cats and horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

You left out a poll option- "Doesn't bother me, but I don't do it myself". That's what dish soap is for.

9 members found this post helpful.

I do it. My dog also is the official "pre-wash" for most of our plates. We do have a dishwasher now, but didn't always - we DO however use soap

Doesn't phase me a bit. I do it all the time. I do wash the dishes also and I haven't caught any disease from them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mostly, I'd be fine with it, unless they tried to feed the dog with MY fork. Though, granted, I've met some people whose idea of "dish washing" was to swirl a fork around in cold, greasy water and then stick back in the drawer. Those people, I might not be having dinner with

6 members found this post helpful.

DH almost had a fit the first time he saw it. My opinion? Uhh...scalding hot water and soap, it's not like I eat AFTER the dog. Yuck. But I don't like them licking plates, it kinda grosses me out the way they squish their nose into the plate. Blarf...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Disgusting. This is why I don't eat out at other peoples' houses, everyone has their own standard of clean.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

4 members found this post helpful.

You're much more likely to catch something icky from a fellow human's saliva than you are from a dog. Most viral and bacterial diseases are rather species-specific. Worms are rarely caught from saliva, and most dogs are dewormed regularly and most humans are not.

And remember unless you are eating with disposable plastic forks, that fork was put into someone else's mouth at some point before it was passed on to you. It was washed, of course- soap and hot water.

15 members found this post helpful.

I have been known to share ice cream cones, and will let my pointer have a couple licks of my lolly pop. He's dewormed routinely so I'm not scared

I do it. Doesn't bother me. I don't eat off it after them though. But I have a high tolerance for germs. And truthfully, if you think what most people have put in their mouth once they become an adult, a little dog spit that is then washed off with soap and water is nothing...

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I don't let them eat off my utensils, but I do let them lick the plates and pots and pans. Of course, those are washed afterwards in hot water and soap. No dishwasher here either.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Not usually after a meal, but every day after I mix up my Greek yogurt and fruit to take to work, I let my dog lick off the spoon. She looks forward to it, and loves the yogurt. I don't know that I'd feed her off a fork--I'd be worried about the tines hurting her mouth more than I'd worry about me catching anything from her.

I came home one night and found Dh and the puppy eating a sandwich together, Todd from the top, Tempi from the bottom.

5 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Off the fork? That sounds like a great way for the dog to stab itself in the mouth. Other than that I don't care. That's what hot water and dish soap are for.

My housemate puts his plate down for the dog at the end of the meal. They're my plates. Doesn't bother me!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG