The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How old were you when you started your 'career'?

At 24, I am finally going back to school to get a degree (4 year program). Part of me feels too old. How old were you when you when you started your career after school?

I was 23. Second full time job after college, just kind of stumbled into it and have been at it for the last seven years. Wouldn't say it's what I imagined myself doing when I graduated but so far it's treated me pretty well!

I am 31, and just opened my business last year. I can't believe anyone would think they are too old at any point in their 20's.

1 members found this post helpful.

A few months shy of 24. Geez, I was a babe. I've been teaching 16 years since.

And, at 24, I'd say you're still a babe. Well, baby. Young! I'm making no opinion on your appearance or maturity. Just saying--you are farrrrrr from being too old. Heck, I'm hitting the big 4-0 next month and I still think about going back to school for my doctorate. School forEVER! Learn ALL the things!
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I did 2.5 yrs of college right after high school, skipped a semester to do a 3 month riding program at age 19 and didn't go back until I was 25. It was actually very easy after the first couple of wks because most of the other students were 17-18 yrs old and 'kids'. Unfortunately though there was a fairly good number of veterns coming back from war (Vietman) that were my age. Reason I say it was easy was that I knew what I wanted, did my studying, and then partyed. I also graduating #1 in the entire school with a 3.975 GPA.

You're far from old as I've seen any number of adult students going back after their kids were educated, generally in their 40's. You'll do just fine.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I can't believe anyone would think they are too old at any point in their 20's.
    Agreed! 24 is very young still, and many (many, many!) people who have a college degree aren't actually working in a *career* job yet.

That said, it's all about what YOU think is important. I have a friend that got her BS in her 30s. And know other people who have gone for a *new* masters degree in their 40s.

So long as you don't go into massive debt (and/or unrealistic debt based on the degree), I wouldn't worry about age as a factor. (Ok, maybe getting a MD in your 60s would be unusual and potentially not very useful, unless you are just going because you enjoy it (and can afford it), in which case...who cares?)

Oh, ETA I got my first job related to my masters degree when I was 27 or so? I went back to school PT for my masters a few years after I graduated from undergrad, and it took 3 years...so I think 27 is about right. And I was continuously called "young" and "just a kid" by my new colleagues.

was a full time groom/BM from 15-30
    30-35 part time groom/BM / part time student
    35 started my own business (non horse related)
    now I am nearly 37 I am about to graduate with two degrees and start grad school in the fall and I am still running my business and am the VP of a second small business.

its never to late, you are just gaining experience !!!

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Had plenty of decent jobs before, but went back to school at 37 to get my "career" degree.

Graduated with my Bachelor's at 21, spent some time in Europe, did a little grad school, got a full time job (not a career starter), went back to grad school, and then finally started my career (which, incidentally, has nothing to do with all that time in grad school).

A lot of my friends still just have "jobs", no career in sight.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

24 too old? Hell no. I know lots of ppl who finished or went back to underdrad or grad well into their thirties and forties. Go for it!
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I'm 29 this year. JUST figured out what I actually want to do about September last year - and still working on building up a resume enough to make a living at it. Also will be stydying part time for probably the next 2-3 years.

I was in sales for about 10 years. I have a great resume for that, but not good enough to actually compete for the jobs that pay the salary or have the hours that I need/want.

You've got lots of time

Just started grad school at 24. My university is known for being a "good value for your money" school, and we have a lot of nontraditional students: veterans getting their degree, adults in graduate school part-time, adults working on a second BS in a different field, etc. I'd say ~10% of my students are not "college age." And they most definitely get better grades than the kiddos.

One of my officemates has his PhD in behavioral analysis, worked in the field for years, hated it, and is now at 46 working on his master's in Biology and wants to continue with an end goal of professor. Another friend joined the Marines after high school, got injured and was honorably discharged, went to school for his paramedic license, worked as a paramedic and EMT instructor for years, and now at 30 is back in school finishing off pre-req courses so he can go to med school.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Got a job right out of college doing security interest filings for a marine finance company; lots of title searching and basically repetitive clerical work for interesting people. Was managing the division after a year, hit the glass ceiling in that place after 2 more.

Had a friend who gave me a stake and bailed--started my own company in direct competition. 6 months later I had all "my" old clients back. 4 years later I was playing polo with my friends at 3 PM every Wednesday afternoon!
    I started that company when I was 23, and it lasted 17 years . . .

Believe in yourself, learn from your mistakes, DON'T be afraid to fail, DO your homework, and GO FOR IT!! You will NOT get rich working for other people.

I just turned 25 and I'm about to get into the industry that my career will be in. I'm re-starting school in August to finish up a degree that I abandoned to go play with horses as a "career" (big mistake!!). I should be finished in 2 years or around when I'm 27
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've been working for a long time, at various jobs (paralegal, secretary, admin assitant, a slew of IT related jobs), mostly circling around the general areas of accounting/finance/budgeting and IT. Settled, ultimately, into healthcare IT (financial side of things, not clinical) in 2000, at age 38, I'm 50 now. I did not go to grad school until age 32 (MBA), which I did part time while working full time.

I feel for young folks these days, you don't seem to have the opportunities to experiment and learn and grow on jobs that I did...employers seem to want someone with very specific skills and education now. When I started working, and for much of my earlier work life, employers wanted someone smart, with a demonstrated ability/motivation to learn rather than very specific skills and experience...figuring we'd learn on the job and be flexible employees. That meant we could try on different roles, industries, levels of responsibility, etc...without necessarily setting ourselves back for the long term.

I was thirty-two when I finally finished college. Night classes and breaks to save money to pay for classes made things drag out a long time.

I teach middle school and I am a better teacher for the time I spent not in education.

21. I finished college a year early and got hired at the same place where I interned. However, I think that's pretty unusual.

26 when hired, 27 by the time I was trained and online.

I was 23 or 24 when I went back to school a second time and knew what I wanted to do. Finished two years of courses, volunteered, worked part time elsewhere, and waited and prayed like hell to get into my field. Gov't jobs up here are highly competitive, and life experience is a big part, so being young makes getting hired even harder.

You've got LOTS of time ahead of you!

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

I am a small business owner, and my degree is to create further success for my business. I just wish I would have done this earlier in life. I feel like I have wasted so much time on one hand, and on the other.. what lead me to this was working in the related industry for 5 years.

I am surrounded by many young individuals who have accomplished so much in life already and have very successful businesses which make me feel so behind. But, I do know a handful of people who are in their 50's and 60's that didn't even go back to school until they were in their 30's.

I went back to college at 31, in grad school now, will start a PhD. program next year. I will be 40 when I finally start my career. The great thing is...I know what I want to be when I grow up!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."