The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default "Mad Men" - Any Fans Here?

    Next Sunday at 9 EST is the 2-hour premiere of the new season!

    Since "Mad Men" is one of the very few television programs I enjoy watching (since "The Sopranos" is long gone), am really looking forward to it.

    My husband gifted me with a copy of "The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook" a few months ago, & I may just have to whip up some sort of "retro" dinner next Sunday. Well before viewing time, of course!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,817

    Default

    Yes have loved and watched since the first season! I've been rewatching season five in preparation . Can't wait!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,011

    Default

    We're slowly making our way through past episodes. I think we're on season 3 right now. Very well done, and brings back many memories of the '60's.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,797

    Default

    LOVE. I just started watching it on Netflix, and am about halfway through season 1.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.



  5. #5
    Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    I adore all the references to all the old NYC restaurants & foodstuffs. Aging myself, but do recall quite a few old dining haunts back when I worked in Manhattan.

    Hubby isn't a red-meater eater, but am thinking next Sunday we'll snack on "Utz" potato chips with "California Dip" (aka "Lipton's Onion Soup Dip") in the afternoon, then on to a classic "Shrimp Cocktail" perhaps, & then a nice seared steak for me (tuna steak for hubby), baked potatoes, creamed spinach, & that old steakhouse standby - "Wedge Salad" (iceberg lettuce wedge with sliced tomatoes & good chunky blue cheese dressing). Maybe a Pineapple Upside Down Cake for dessert depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Couldn't get into the show a ton, but my future sister in-law is one of the secretaries on the show and is in a lot of the photo shoots


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 1999
    Location
    Someplace Wet
    Posts
    8,191

    Default

    Love Love Love it. I think because the show is "my age" born in 1957 I remember the ads and the times

    I watch the reruns every Sunday morning and am primed for the premier. I even have a reminder on my Outlook.

    Cannot wait to see what Joan encounters are she positions for partnership rights

    Hijack

    Also for great series watcher, tonight on PBS "Call the Midwife" and the new masterpiece series "Mr Selfridge" ( shopping!!!) start
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

    www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com



  8. #8
    Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post

    I watch the reruns every Sunday morning and am primed for the premier. I even have a reminder on my Outlook.
    So do I!!

    And while I've been gifted with the first couple of seasons on dvd, I've recorded & saved a few of my favorite episodes - the majority of which pertain to "Roger Sterling" (John Slattery). While "Don Draper" (John Hamm) is certainly eye candy, the writing for Roger is so funny/sarcastic/snappy, it's impossible not to love the scenes he's in.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 1999
    Location
    Someplace Wet
    Posts
    8,191

    Default

    All Mad Men fans should also visit

    http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/

    Tom and Lorenzo have great blog entries for this show. They talk a lot about costumes and character. Check out their archives!
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

    www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com



  10. #10
    Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    All Mad Men fans should also visit

    http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/

    Tom and Lorenzo have great blog entries for this show. They talk a lot about costumes and character. Check out their archives!
    Yeah, I've checked their blog out. Definitely not my style.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,817

    Default

    I love Tom and Lorenzo. They have some interesting episode critiques!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Love it! We are on season 4 and will be done just in time for next week's season premiere!!
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2012
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    All Mad Men fans should also visit

    http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/

    Tom and Lorenzo have great blog entries for this show. They talk a lot about costumes and character. Check out their archives!
    i don't really read the rest of the blog, but i always read their mad men posts! they notice so much more detail than i do...

    i love mad men though, despite definitely not being around in the 60's.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2011
    Location
    the Armpit of the Nation
    Posts
    3,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I adore all the references to all the old NYC restaurants & foodstuffs. Aging myself, but do recall quite a few old dining haunts back when I worked in Manhattan.

    Hubby isn't a red-meater eater, but am thinking next Sunday we'll snack on "Utz" potato chips with "California Dip" (aka "Lipton's Onion Soup Dip") in the afternoon, then on to a classic "Shrimp Cocktail" perhaps, & then a nice seared steak for me (tuna steak for hubby), baked potatoes, creamed spinach, & that old steakhouse standby - "Wedge Salad" (iceberg lettuce wedge with sliced tomatoes & good chunky blue cheese dressing). Maybe a Pineapple Upside Down Cake for dessert depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.
    Horn and Hardart's and Stouffers. Keen's Steakhouse. Still there, with my grandfather's and father's pipes on the ceiling.

    In my family, it ain't a party if you don't have onion dip and chips and Shrimp Cocktail - we had both tonight That's a great idea for next Sunday night, Bacardi, thanks!



  15. #15
    Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I love Tom and Lorenzo. They have some interesting episode critiques!
    Perhaps so. But they also seem to LOVE to show their little kitty claws. Christina Hendrickson ("Joan") is a lovely woman. How sad that "Tom and Lorenzo" thought it would be fun to show Christina in an absolutely lovely designer gown at one of the recent premieres; then show a pic of the same gown worn by a much thinner catwalk model. Then show Christina again in the same dress. Exactly what was the point of that??? Besides the "Tom and Lorenzo" typical "MEOW" factor.

    Yuck & how sad.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    My favorite show ever! Counting down the days...love, love, LOVE!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2008
    Posts
    4,586

    Default

    Oooh, Me Me! I'd lost track of when it started up again. Thanks for the reminder!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."



  18. #18
    Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Horn and Hardart's and Stouffers. Keen's Steakhouse. Still there, with my grandfather's and father's pipes on the ceiling.

    In my family, it ain't a party if you don't have onion dip and chips and Shrimp Cocktail - we had both tonight That's a great idea for next Sunday night, Bacardi, thanks!
    Yup - I remember the good old automat. As a kid, found those cute little doors with the food behind them fascinating. And later on enjoyed "Orsini's", "Sardi's", "21", "Top of the Sixes", "Grand Central Oyster Bar", "Lindy's", "Raga", "The Bombay Palace", "The Peking Duck House", & scads of tiny little other discoveries whose names escape me but that I remember fondly. Doubt many if any of the little spots are still around today.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Perhaps so. But they also seem to LOVE to show their little kitty claws. Christina Hendrickson ("Joan") is a lovely woman. How sad that "Tom and Lorenzo" thought it would be fun to show Christina in an absolutely lovely designer gown at one of the recent premieres; then show a pic of the same gown worn by a much thinner catwalk model. Then show Christina again in the same dress. Exactly what was the point of that??? Besides the "Tom and Lorenzo" typical "MEOW" factor.

    Yuck & how sad.
    I never saw that. The only things I read on their website is the show critiques, and costume deconstruction/analysis. That is all the value that I get from their blog!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 8, 2008
    Location
    My own little utopia!
    Posts
    865

    Default

    LOVE Mad Men. I think I started a thread in a OT day in years past.

    We watched the last season in prep for next week. Every time I re-watch it I catch something new. It's so much better than most other TV shows - or movies, for that matter...



Similar Threads

  1. Any "Duck Dynasty" fans here?
    By Liberty in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Nov. 5, 2012, 09:57 PM
  2. A "FIX" FOR ALL OF YOU BALOU DU ROUET FANS!! NEW VIDEO!
    By karin@dutchbreeders@aol.com in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar. 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
  3. Any "Wap Paloosas" Fans Out there
    By Equinoxfox in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: Nov. 23, 2010, 08:53 PM
  4. For all Peter Atkins "Henry" fans...
    By Tazzie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug. 10, 2010, 07:39 AM
  5. JRT fans...need help re-homing "Elliot"
    By sid in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2009, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness