The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pilates people

How many sessions did you do before you saw a difference? There is a studio across the street from my store that has an aggressive groupon offer. I am thinking about doing it, but I don't know how long you have to stick with it to actually see improvement.

Boy, it takes awhile. I do LOVE it, but it's not overnight. You just gradually realize you can do things you couldn't do before, like push ups, or standing on one leg. I've been doing it over a year now and I can feel my hard rock abs of steel under my 2 inch safety cushion of fat. I am definitely way stronger and harder.

Stick with it. It's wonderful for riding and really seeing how crooked you are. My goal is, in five years. to be able to sit cross legged and have my left hip and leg not be 5 inches higher than my right.

The thing about pilates is you never "get" there. You can always push yourself a little harder and stronger. And you get to see people in the class who can't do things you think are really easy, and they can easily do things you can't even start to do. You realize how differently people are built and where their strengths are. As a rider I have super strong inside thigh muscles, and barely little strings on the outside.

I tried a class a few years back, and did some on my own at home. I really enjoyed it and loved how it improved my riding.

Now I can't afford to ride right now, but want to get myself into a position where I can be fit in other ways.

How often do you go? This studio was offering something insane, like 10 classes for $29. I think that the offer expired, but I am hoping she would honor it for a fellow business owner (who is very poor, just starting out) on the same block.

I use 24 hour fitness, so for $25 a month I can go as much as I want, and I have three I can get to close by. Depending on how sick I am (which has been too much) I try to go to the pilates class every Monday and the yoga on Saturdays. If I can push myself, I do the kick boxing and a dance class. They don't have a schedule where I can really go to pilates more than once a week.

I would imagine twice a week would be good. The new instructor has this killer upper ab exercise that leaves me so sore, I almost need a week to recover!

A friend is doing it through the Y or community center for about $6 a class. Can you find something like that?

I just edited my post, it should have said 10 classes for $29, AND it is directly across the street from my store.

Ooooh! That's a GREAT deal. Take it and goes as much as you can. Depending on how hard they push you and you push yourself, you may need some recovery time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do it!! The quote you will hear most often is "In 10 sessions, you will feel the difference. In 20, you will see the difference. And in 30, you'll be on your way to having a whole new body." I've rarely stuck with it to 30 sessions, but I think that timeframe is about right. It will help tremendously for riding, and just in general. I would bet you will feel a difference in even less than 10 sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Ooooh! That's a GREAT deal. Take it and goes as much as you can. Depending on how hard they push you and you push yourself, you may need some recovery time.
    I'm hoping the owner will be understanding and give me that deal.

I am tired of being fat and lumpy. My other goal is a 3 mile run in under 27 minutes.

I have been doing it for a couple years now, mixed with cardio. I drastically changed my diet as well, but I lost 8 inches off of my waist. And I can really tell the difference in my riding when I haven't done it in a few days vs when I did it that morning

If you have a good instructor you can start to feel the difference after one session. I've been taking for just over two years and I know there is a huge difference in my fitness. I used to have back problems and now it doesn't bother me at all. I can also feel it if I skip more than one week, I start to get tighter and lose some flexibility. Definitely try it.
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Pookah View Post
    Do it!! The quote you will hear most often is "In 10 sessions, you will feel the difference. In 20, you will see the difference. And in 30, you'll be on your way to having a whole new body." .
    That was about my experience. Unfortunately, at around 60 sessions, my (really lousy) back really couldn't take some of it, and I had to stop. I'm looking to start again, because it made a big difference to my core strength and flexibility.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I started pilates maybe 10 years ago and felt the difference after one session. After 6 weeks of 1x/week sessions I was doing 5 minute planks having never done one in my life before! That said, I was working with an amazing personal trainer and using all the equipment (and working out daily otherwise, it must be said). Some places that advertise pilates just do mat pilates. I do that on my own now, but having cadillac, reformer and other tools plus focused and aggressive individual instruction made all the difference in getting me started and hooked.

Heh-heh; explain "seeing a difference." As an old personal trainer of mine once said, "It's not your abs--it's the fat on TOP of 'em!"

No lie: "Toning" and "getting ripped" and all that stuff is a complete and utter fallacy. The only way ANYONE gets that look is to have a body fat percentage in the neighborhood of 10%--and for most women, that ain't healthy.

There is nothing more useless and counterproductive in this universe than working out (and living in pain) while continuing to pound the carbs. You want to "see results," try living with no sugar, flour, legumes or processed food for 6 months. Results GUARANTEED.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Heh-heh; explain "seeing a difference." As an old personal trainer of mine once said, "It's not your abs--it's the fat on TOP of 'em!"
    Dropped a pants size, not because of weight, but because of leaner muscle in my thighs. I came into Pilates as a runner, biker, and rider, and I'm also naturally, uh, gifted south of the hips. (Thanks, Grandma's side of the family.) Doing the Pilates work reshaped some of the bulk while keeping up the strength.

Not at all to downplay the importance of eating good food in moderation.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Oh yeah, and I should add, having taken Pilates classes at a great gym with Reformers and other equipment, at a mediocre gym, and at a private studio - like riding trainers, you get what you pay for. If you don't feel like you're getting results, go elsewhere - you are probably not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

No lie: "Toning" and "getting ripped" and all that stuff is a complete and utter fallacy. The only way ANYONE gets that look is to have a body fat percentage in the neighborhood of 10%--and for most women, that ain't healthy.

There is nothing more useless and counterproductive in this universe than working out (and living in pain) while continuing to pound the carbs. You want to "see results," try living with no sugar, flour, legumes or processed food for 6 months. Results GUARANTEED.
    I can see a difference in how my ass is looking when I work out vs when I sit on it.

I do not view Pilates as a miracle solution, but I don't see how it couldn't possibly help. I am not fat per se, I am 5'4 and 135lbs. I do absolutely no exercise at this point but eat moderately well. In theory, any increase in activity should improve the overall shape of my body.