The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Laundromat Blues

I am so unmotivated to go sit for a few hours in a hot, vaguely sad-looking place with some "interesting" people and pay $$$ for the pleasure of doing so. Plus it's raining today. And since I put it off for the last two days I run the risk of the local places being closed for Easter, particularly since I'm in the Bible Belt. Aaand if there's anything I hate more than a weekend laundromat trip, it's a weekday laundromat trip after work. /rant

What's your laundromat motivation? I'm not quite out of clean clothes, but honestly if I waited for that I'd have to make two trips
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

The local laundry takes 34 mins to wash, I do my quick Walmart run then. 24 or 30 mins to dry is my hardware and Goodwill time. I don't sit at the place and wait
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Just out of curiousity, what do laundromats basically cost to use these days?

It's been quite a few decades since I've had to use a laundromat, but I recently bought a king-size comforter to use as a protective throw on a sofa, & there's no way it's going to fit into my home washer/dryer.

2.75 for a regular wash, 5.50 for the large (comforters, quilts, etc), and .25 for 6 minutes of dryer time. This is Yelm, WA though.

She also allows horse blankets, normal wear and hair is 1.00 extra to clean the washer after washing it (so 6.50 a wash), she inspects them and will charge accordingly if her staff has to hose off mud out back. Yes, this is a rural horsey area LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

WOW up here in Snohomish - depending on the size of the washer (2 different sizes) it's 3.50 or 4.50 per load and then .58 per 10 minutes of dryer time - only need 1 dryer - they're huge.
    Usually we have 2 loads to wash.
    We can't wash horse blankets there anymore. But we do have a drop off for cleaning and repair close by.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    2.75 for a regular wash, 5.50 for the large (comforters, quilts, etc), and .25 for 6 minutes of dryer time. This is Yelm, WA though.

She also allows horse blankets, normal wear and hair is 1.00 extra to clean the washer after washing it (so 6.50 a wash), she inspects them and will charge accordingly if her staff has to hose off mud out back. Yes, this is a rural horsey area LOL!!

WOW isn't the word for it. Talk about aging myself. I recall slipping $.25 into the washing machine for a full regular load, & $.10 into the dryer for 10 minutes. Yikes.

Well, at least I won't have to use the dryer, since weather permitting I can hang the darn thing outside when I get it home. And here I thought it would be a time & upholstery saver. Maybe I should buy a king-size sheet to protect the king-size comforter - lol!!

A couple of decades ago, I used to go to the laundromat once a month. Usually a Sunday evening since no one else was there. 5 washers and 5 dryers made for a relatively quick chore. lol

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    A couple of decades ago, I used to go to the laundromat once a month. Usually a Sunday evening since no one else was there. 5 washers and 5 dryers made for a relatively quick chore. lol
    That is the ONE arguably nice thing about laundromats...all of your clothes are clean at once after one cycle! Although I definitely prefer doing a load here and load there whenever I want.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have a tiny clothes processor in my condo (basically a small front loader that washes and dries, and therefore does neither well). So I wash some things at home, but the bulk of my stuff has to go to the laundromat. I also hate doing it, but a couple of years ago I discovered wash/dry/fold laundromats. Now I drop my laundry off on the way to work and pick it up on the way home. It's perfectly folded, sorted by category (i.e. she stacks all of my Tshirts together, so that I can just slide stuff into a drawer when I get home). I think it costs $0.80/lb. If I had to estimate, what I would pay $15 to wash myself I pay $25 for them to do. Worth every PENNY, as far as I'm concerned. It just depends how much you hate the laundromat, but for me I will happily give up a dinner or two out to not do my own laundry :-)

And, I also drop my dry cleaning off at a place about two doors down, and can pick it up on the way home from work as well. I still refer to it as "laundry day," which endlessly amuses my friends.

1 members found this post helpful.

$3.50 a load (regular) plus $0.25/7 minutes in the dryer.

ouch I guess our laundry room at my place is not so bad a deal 1.50 for a wash 1.50 for 70 min dry time.

If you are on your toes you can do 2 wash loads and get them both dry on the same dry cycle.

To the OP would your apartment permit a small stackable washer / dryer?

If I had to use a laundromat I would certainly combine with a trip to the grocery store or some such thing.

early on I vowed when I got enough ahead I would have bras and panties enough to go 2 weeks.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I do have a washer/dryer hookup in my apartment, but on my graduate stipend there's no way I can afford to buy one right now. I'm looking into scratch and dent sales for Fall though, when my friend and I are moving in together and my rent will almost halve.

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Some of the drop off laundry places also do dry cleaning around here. And some are much nicer than others. I always take a book, avoiding the lonely (or strange) person latching on to me. Some Laundromats also take debit cards now, so you don't have to haul quarters all of the time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Wash & fold drop off services are awesome!!! Here, it's about $1/lb, but I sweet-talked that down a little bit by being a regular customer with my DH's really seriously nasty oil covered work clothes. I'm not sure why they let that bag of clothes in the door, but I am pregnant, can smell EVERYTHING, and these people are a godsend. If I didn't have a washer, I'd probably do it with all my clothes, as they pay for soap, stain remover, they pre-soak anything horrendous, and the time I save is substantial.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

The title of this thread made me laugh! This is just SO me, I could have almost posted this. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to go to the laundromat, my apartment has a laundry room downstairs but we do have to pay for it. I just get so tired from work/horses so I can't bring myself to drag all my laundry downstairs and run all the loads. Especially when I have to do my laundry between other peoples' loads. UGH.

I always wait till I'm completely out of work clothes, I'm just horrid. Can't seem to make myself do it sooner, I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    I do have a washer/dryer hookup in my apartment, but on my graduate stipend there's no way I can afford to buy one right now. I'm looking into scratch and dent sales for Fall though, when my friend and I are moving in together and my rent will almost halve.
    Have you been watching Craigslist? Sometimes people who are rennovating/redecorating will have pretty decent appliances for sale...working just fine, they just want them out because they want all their appliances to match. Then there are the folks who want to move to front loaders and will sell working top loaders. We gave away a working dryer a few years ago, because the washer was dead and HAD to be replaced and the new washer was higher capacity than the old dryer and it made no sense to do one wash load and then two dryer loads.

I don't miss laundromats at all! The only good thing that ever came out of one was the kitten I found in a dryer once.