The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Looks like a classic case of toe shoeing. There is obvious deterioration of the distal end of P3 in the club foot over the time period shown by the x-rays.

Multiple farriers over the years applying a shoe to the dish in the toe instead of removing the dish and fitting the shoe to the geometry and mechanics of the coffin joint . . . how sad.
    Tom,

I agree. Would you say there were improvements being made from November forward? I will be posting pictures and x-rays from February and March as soon as I have them.

Thank you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I have to say the photos are shocking! I opened this thread interested, as my horse is “high low” (but very very minor compared to this), and I have read some of Esco’s writings on “limb length disparity” (I figured he was the expert in question when this came up, as he is the one I have seen push this theory the most).

Barefoot, and very frequent (think every two weeks) trims since 3 months old (now 6 years) has been working well for my horse. She still ALWAYS has a scissor grazing stance (just like her mother), and grows more heel on the right front, toes have to be kept back on both – and she is sound and moving well.
    Glad to hear your horse is doing well! It is definitely no fun to deal with and I've learned I need to by extra careful about who works on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Tom,

I agree. Would you say there were improvements being made from November forward?
    Grading A through F with the older stuff being an F-, November is an F+.

I will be posting pictures and x-rays from February and March as soon as I have them.
    Doesn't it bother you that your vet pays so little attention to detail? Pelvis Lateral?" WTF?

Grading A through F with the older stuff being an F-, November is an F+.

Doesn't it bother you that your vet pays so little attention to detail? Pelvis Lateral?" WTF?
    I'm not sure I understand your last statement about what the vet missed. Can you explain further so I'll be better educated and able to ask my vet about it.

Thank you

I'm not sure I understand your last statement about what the vet missed. Can you explain further so I'll be better educated and able to ask my vet about it.

Thank you
    One of the radiographs of your horse's FOOT is labeled "RH Pelvis Lateral". For me it raises the question what other details were not adequately addressed?

One of the radiographs of your horse's FOOT is labeled "RH Pelvis Lateral". For me it raises the question what other details were not adequately addressed?
    Oh I had noticed that and wondered those x-rays were taken by a vet for the very reason you stated. Lack of attention to detail. Sorry I didn't make the connection when you made the statement.

New farrier about had a fit and said my horses feet are a mess. That why would you put a pad on a club foot that is already high and why would you do something to one foot but not the other? To extent his game plan makes sense too. He of course took the pad off, trimmed back the toe and dropped the heel, and made him a pair of half rounds and on the club foot left a decent amount of shoe off the back for bar support as well as some shoe sticking out at the toe. He explained that this would help encourage the hoof to grow properly.
    You might not put a pad on a true club, but when the hoof has high heels because it's compensating for LLD, then you take down the heel to get the foot in balance and add a pad to compensate for LLD. Why would you put a pad on the longer leg? That'll just undo what was done for the shorter leg. Esco said that usually one club foot = LLD. Two club feet = Two club feet.

One of my horses is LLD. He's barefoot, but getting shoes on tomorrow. We haven't done pads because he's not working enough to really need it.

OP, I'd find a trainer who doesn't dictate what farrier you can use and go back to the first farrier.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    You might not put a pad on a true club, but when the hoof has high heels because it's compensating for LLD, then you take down the heel to get the foot in balance and add a pad to compensate for LLD. Why would you put a pad on the longer leg? That'll just undo what was done for the shorter leg. Esco said that usually one club foot = LLD. Two club feet = Two club feet.

One of my horses is LLD. He's barefoot, but getting shoes on tomorrow. We haven't done pads because he's not working enough to really need it.

OP, I'd find a trainer who doesn't dictate what farrier you can use and go back to the first farrier.
    I get the thought process behind the pad totally and is why I was on board with it. Now I am always willing to try another path too if it gets us to the same place. I get that different farriers have different approaches. I've just been surprised the the reaction the trainer's farrier had.

If I made enough stink I'm sure they would let my farrier shoe him but I get where the trainer is coming from on wanting everyone done by the same person.

Where is the trainer coming from in wanting every horse shod by the same farrier?

And, just out of curiosity, how many horses does the trainer have in the barn?

I have dealt with this, and yes, putting a pad on the high hoof to bring the shoulders up to line is something we have done. It works well. With both horses that I had to do this with, it solved a lead issue they had quite quickly.

OP, how is your horse doing now?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory