The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best bath and shower cleaner?

What product will actual clean a vile fiberglass tub and shower, short of burning the thing or using acid? I have used CLR, Barkeeper's Friend, the usual soft scrub and comet....need something that will take the top later off!

Kaboom foaming shower cleaner works well. The kind that starts blue and turns white when ready to be scrubbed off. I haven't tacked anything too terrible with it per say, but it got ride of some old stains and god knows what else in one of the sinks in our house when we first moved in. I recommend using it in a well ventilated area/turn the fan on in the bathroom or open a window. I think I intoxicated myself with the fumes cleaning the tub once it did work, though and isn't too expensive.

1 members found this post helpful.

Use the white scrubber sponges that disolve/break apart as you use them. I get them from the $1 store. They will clean anything.

Ooh, yes, Magic Erasers are capable of cleaning interesting things..

2 members found this post helpful.

Are Magic Erasers a cleaning product? I would like to erase the whole shower... lol

Yes, Magic Erasers, or the off brand, look like a rectangle white sponge. As you use them, they disintegrate. They work REALLY well for getting the hards stuff off. My bath tub is 80 years old and doesn't clean well. That's the only thing that really gets it clean. And they are great for wiping down tiles and getting the water stains off and making them shiny. They're great for wiping down walls and fridges and everything to just get that stuff off your normally have to scrub really hard to get off.

Great! I will load up some Magic Erasers and Kaboom to be safe! I am desperate!

Something that I've started using (and had great success with) is a 1:1 mixture of blue Dawn dish soap (the original stuff) and white vinegar. Mix it, then spray the crap out of the shower and cover everything thoroughly (looks like a blue bomb went off). Let it sit for as long as you can stand (I've found the best result to be somewhere in the 1-2 hour range...yeah, that long), then use warm water and a rag or magic eraser to wipe it away!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Magice eraser are awesome.

Here's a page with lots of uses:

http://household-tips.thefuntimesgui...ic_erasers.php
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

HANDS DOWN Lysol Bathroom Cleaner 4-in-1. It comes in a large blue aerosol can. It works better than anything else I've ever tried, but my regular grocery story doesn't carry it, so I have to go elsewhere to get it. But it is worth the effort to buy it. It works SO well.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Bathroom...cleaner+4+in+1
    Last edited by IneedanOTdayAlter; Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Tilex for everyday shower cleaner but Magic Eraser for everything else. I can't imagine what is contained in that little sponge but it works for everything with little effort.

The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner is the best stuff I've found, and it's only a buck at my local dollar store. I also like The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Magic erasers work great too.

Hilarious cleaning commercial-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k9K8V2-Itw
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

That is a creepy bubble peeper commerical!

I use Awesome Orange on tough, dirty fiberglass. You spray it first thing in the morning, right before you leave for the day (the smell is bad), coat everything really well. When you get home spray again, scrub the tub, rinse well. Anything left behind probably isn't coming off. And don't get it reglazed, because it becomes very slick, and usually the finish doesn't hold up.

I think the only place you can buy it is at Dollar Tree, but just get the small spray bottles, not the big gallon of it. Mixing it would be disgusting (it seriously smells strong, and I don't like to even be round it).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Use the white scrubber sponges that disolve/break apart as you use them. I get them from the $1 store. They will clean anything.
    YUP! This, and a bit of comet works great! Also straight white vinegar will disolve lime scale beautifully. No nasty chemicals. Bad for you, bad for your septic tank.
    Since I went clean eating I went did the same for the products I use to clean the house. No nasty stuff, and so much money saved!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Vinegar and baking soda. Use two sponges. Soak one in vinegar, the other should be dampened with water. Dump a bunch of baking soda on the damp sponge, put the vinegar soaked sponge behind it, slap against the wall, watch magic happen.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Had a great time with my Magic Eraser...just need to pace myself!

When my husband and I first moved into our home, they hard water stains and soap scum was all over the bath and shower. The only thing that worked was Lime Away and very fine steel wool. After cleaning everything, we splurged and got a water softener. Best purchase we ever made. Never have to scrub again. I just use a squeegee on the glass shower door and once a week wipe down the fixtures with a damp micro fiber cloth.

Aren't they fun? You can clean ANYTHING with them. You get things clean you never could. You just have to make sure you keep all of the bits and scrub them away into nothing, or you run through them too fast.