The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Spin off from last OT day- Where does your name come from?

Last OT day we had a couple of baby name threads that came up with some really interesting stories about where people had gotten their names. So: where does yours come from? Is it a family name? Are you named after somebody? Did you choose your own? Do you like it, or have you thought about changing it?

My given name is the only thing my parents could agree upon and I hated it. I have a middle name in honor of my grandfather, who died the year before I was born (he was Louis; my two cousins born the same year are Louis Andrew and Julia Louise. I ended up with Lynn.) I loathed my first name to the point that in elementary school, I convinced all my friends to call me Rachel (my favorite character from the Animorphs books - I still have souvenir memorabilia with the name "Rachel.") Around age 10, I acquired the nickname Renn; how I got it is a really long story, but it stuck, and as of 7th grade everyone who was not my immediate family was calling me Renn. I intended to have my name legally changed at 18, but one of the things I loathed about my given name is that it's a diminutive rather than a name in its own right, so I started doing some research about names for which Renn is a nickname. I discovered Renaia, a very uncommon name that is more or less the Latin form of Renee (Renata is another variant.) It reminded me of my grandmother Regina, who had helped raise me after my dad's death. I wanted to live with it for awhile before changing it, though, and given the complete inability of most of my friends to a) say it or b) spell it, may end up going with the shorter, easier, and completely made-up Renna, which is what they end up saying anyway. Either way, the Renn part stuck. It suits me, I like it, I've only met one other one (Reyn, short for Reynolds, her middle name/mother's maiden) and the only people who call me by my given name are the IRS.

So: what's your name story?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My first name is a family name--mother, great aunt, great grandmother. It originally came, I believe, from a steamboat on the Hudson River.

Second name was another great grandmother's second name and the name of a sister of my mother's who died in childhood. That great grandmother's whole name was thought to be very unlucky, which is why the combination.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    My first name is a family name--mother, great aunt, great grandmother. It originally came, I believe, from a steamboat on the Hudson River.

Second name was another great grandmother's second name and the name of a sister of my mother's who died in childhood. That great grandmother's whole name was thought to be very unlucky, which is why the combination.
    An unlucky name? I would love to know the details of that.

My name is boring - one of the most popular girl names in the 60's. No story, no relatives with the name.

My younger son's name was the product of a family-wide poll. My husband and I were having problems deciding upon a first name, so we gave out the list of possibilities and Son the Younger's name got the most votes. We knew his middle name would be Clarke, after my husband's stepfather, whom he loved and had passed away many years ago. Standing joke was that if we couldn't agree on a name, Son the Younger would either be named Lewis Clarke or Arthur Clarke. He avoided those...but sometimes I secretly wish we could have gone with Lewis Clarke.

Son the Elder could have been named James T(aylor) Kirk after relatives in my family. They didn't give me enough drugs during labor for me to follow through... Geeky son, however, has thought about changing his name because it tickles his fancy. He's an adult now - he can do what he wants!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

My first name is very French, and apparently for Americans, very hard to pronounce LOL. I loathed it in school because the teachers would mispronounce it and when I corrected them, they got pissy with me! I'm still not too thrilled with it, but it's very rare and unique, combining with my French last name. It has an exotic ring to it, but doesn't look it. Europeans get my name in a heartbeat, no problems. My middle name is Anne, after my great grandmother. Not sure how my first name was reached. I do know both of my parents liked it.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Unlucky? From what I was told, there were grandchildren named for her by about six of her children and none survived to adulthood. My first cousin named her daughter the full name, and her daughter almost died in childhood from a burst appendix. Thanks to modern medicine, she lived. But she came close to not making it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

My first name has no interesting story. My middle name is after the nun who stayed with my mom through all three difficult deliveries when my older brothers and I were born. She was on duty each time and stayed past her shift to support my mom, earning her the questionable honor of having me bear her name.

First name: My sister, in 4th grade at the time, loved her music teacher and suggested the name. My mom liked it too.

Middle name: One of my mom's sisters.

I had the revelation a few months ago that my siblings and I have a three-syllable first name and a two-syllable middle name. "Yeah, we did that on purpose cause it sounds good," my mom said.

My first name is a family name. One in each generation got it, and, in my generation, because a couple of sisters couldn't agree, two got it. Mine was the last generation to carry the name, however. In the sixties, the word gained a new connotation which, while not bad in itself, did make the name very tease-worthy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Well, when I was born, my dad suggested "Rebecca," which was coincidentally his ex-girlfriend's name (right before he met mom).

Mom kicked him out of the room. An hour later, mom informed dad of my name.

I find the story hilarious.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was named for San Michele di Ganzaria, the town in which my paternal grandparents were born and raised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Michele_di_Ganzaria
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

My name was also the only one that my parents could agree on. My dad liked the name Camilla, but my mom hated it and thank god for that as the only Camilla I can think of is Camilla Parker Bowles and, closely related, Camille Paglia, the most famous woman-hating supposed feminist there is.

I was named after my mom's cousin, and I used to always hate it when I was younger b/c no one pronounced it correctly and it took too long to write (my first name is 8 letters, my middle 9 letters, and my last 5) However, now I love b/c it is so different--I've only met one other person with the same name (tho I have never met her cousin)

Natalie means born on Christmas, and I was born in December. I was either going to be named Nicholas, Natalie or Hollie. My parents were stuck on the Christmas theme... ironic since neither of them are Christian?! I like my name, common enough that people can (usually...) spell it, but not so common that there are a million other Natalies everywhere.
    Last edited by Natalie A; Mar. 31, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

I was named for my maternal grandmother, a 19th cent American artist. She ruled our lives, self centered, manipulative, gifted and a snob.

But it is MY name now and she set a good example for me not to follow :P
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

My mom named me after the Dr who cured her when she was a child. She had a goiter that was due to a lack of iodine in her diet. Luck for me it was a lady doctor.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nothing interesting. Number one name to name a baby girl in the early 80s, thanks for being original.... In one class, there were seven girls all named the same dang thing. Can anyone guess? Ya, Jennifer. So I go by the diminutive religiously and correct people at work who use the full name. I do spell it with two Ns though .

The only people I introduce myself with my full name is service providers, like when I call the gas company or make a doctor appointment, and pretty much anything over the phone with strangers, because Jenn combined with my last name has a lot of hard guttural sounds and is hard to understand at first, especially over the phone.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

My first name was the only name my parents could agree on so I was going to be it whether I was a boy or a girl. Apparently they heard it on TV one night and then the next day, the guy who delivered bread to their deli in the mornings - who every morning would come in with a new baby name suggestion - came in with the same name. They figured it was fate and stuck with it. I personally don't like my name, it's gender ambiguous and impossible to nickname anything that doesn't suck. The only thing I like about it is that it's a breed of horse (my parents aren't horsey).

My middle name is a family name. It's the same as the second half of my mom's name and the same as my aunt's middle name. We're all named for my paternal great-grandfather (who was a drunk who regularly abandoned his family and was eventually committed to a mental hospital, where he died...good man to be named for!). I do like having a family name, though, even if I'm named after a drunk. I think it's a nice tradition to have some connection or meaning behind a name. I'm not sure if I'll use it for my children (if I have a boy, definitely, I like the original name) but I'll definitely go with some sort of family name.

My mom read the name in a book when she was pregnant. Growing up, I was the only one with that name, and in college (20,000 students) there were only two others - one a guy, the other a girl; now, of course, there are lots of young girls named after the famous model of the same name. I actually liked being the only one.

My parents thought they were picking an uncommon name. Unfortunately, the rest of the American population had the same idea about the same name at the same time... I wish it were at least spelled with ie at the end instead of y so it would be a little different, but oh well.

My Dad named me, all on his own. He decided at the very last minute to just pick the first thing he thought of and put it down without consulting my Mom at all.

While this wasn't very good for the marriage, I will forever be thankful to him for saving me from a life as Roxy Hollywood Last_name. Seriously.