The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wbat does an X mean at a CIC***?

I was looking at the results at Galway Downs CIC*** and I noticed that after Bea Degrazia's name there wàs an X. She had completed the cross country phase. Since the CIC*** is in the new format, dressage, show jumping, then cross-country, so she was through with the competition. She had a time and a score, but then an X. What do you think that means?

There was a jog directly after XC and the horse was spun there- Hence the X.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

At least they bothered to have a jog then. FEI doesn't require jogs at any CIC; IMO, their alternative is not a good idea.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

That is kind of silly, since they are done. There are so many variables that can happen. Such as a lost shoe or stinging feet, or something else that can be dealt with over night for the next morning trot up. This probably was a bit over the top. I looked in the FEI Rulebook, and there is no rule stating the the horses need to be jogged up after cross-country. Major bummer for Bea.

That is interesting. Not that the horse shouldn't be sound after xc, but considering they often have an entire night to ice, walk, poultice, etc. before the jog at a normal three-day that does seem a bit unfair.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

A jog directly after XC? What on earth??

I wouldn't pass a jog directly after XC.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

524.2.3 Option for Horse Inspection at Short Competitions (CIC)
    At a short Competition the First Horse Inspection is optional, however if one is to be held the details must be published in the schedule of the Competition.
    In the Event that there is no First Horse Inspection, an FEI Official Veterinarian must assess the Horse’s fitness to compete within the Examination on Arrival pursuant to 524.1 of these Eventing rules. Horses deemed by the FEI Official Veterinarian to be unfit to compete must be reported to the Ground Jury.
    NOTE
    For 2013 the Second Horse Inspection will be compulsory if the Jumping Test is the last test.

524.3.2 Cross Country - Finishing Area
    A veterinary examination will take place after the Horse has finished the Cross Country. It is conducted by a qualified veterinarian appointed by the Organising Committee in agreement with the Veterinary Delegate.
    In addition to carrying out any immediate treatment required by an injured or exhausted Horse, this veterinarian will decide if each Horse:
    a) Is fit to return immediately on foot to its own stable.
    b) Should remain for further treatment before returning to its stable.
    c) Should be transported by vehicle either direct to its stable or to a veterinary hospital.
    This veterinarian has no authority to eliminate any Horse from the Competition, but must report any doubtful case to the Ground Jury and to the Veterinary Delegate.
    An Athlete who has withdrawn, has been eliminated or stopped during the Cross Country Test is responsible to make sure his Horse has been checked by the Veterinary Delegate or an appointed veterinarian before leaving the venue. Any Athlete who leaves the venue without submitting to the veterinary check required under this Article will automatically be issued a Yellow Warning Card for incorrect behaviour, which will be delivered to his or her National Federation.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Mar. 31, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

some questions:

Does a "horse inspection" always include the jog?

Is the "jumping test" stadium jumping and not cross country?

Is a "veterinary exam" something different than the jog?

I was not at Galway and am still very confused about the "X" described by the OP.

In the FEI world, "horse inspection" in all disciplines includes a jog. A first horse inspection is required for dressage, show jumping and CCIs. Not for CICs. Wonder what the rationale is for the distiniction?

Jumping test in FEI parlance is stadium jumping.

Vet exam is different from a formal horse inspection with jog. There has always been a cursory arrival vet inspection. How much that has changed for the CIC is still not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca dreamin View Post
    some questions:

Does a "horse inspection" always include the jog?

Is the "jumping test" stadium jumping and not cross country?

Is a "veterinary exam" something different than the jog?

I was not at Galway and am still very confused about the "X" described by the OP.

thanks for the information, vineyridge! so it sounds like the "x" at Galway resulted from a post-cross country "vet exam." As I recall, at these "exams" the vet/techs take temp etc. and do watch the horse jog, but not the formal jog on hard ground with a panel of officials watching.
    Last edited by Ca dreamin; Mar. 31, 2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: mis-spoke

But nowhere does it say that they are supposed to have a formal trot up after cross country. That particular rule is for all the competitions....at least that is how i read it

I read the rule the same way you do...no formal trot up. But I don't know what happened.

There must be another rule which requires a formal trot up after cross country but prior to stadium jumping, for "long format" (new lingo for CCIs.)

But nowhere does it say that they are supposed to have a formal trot up after cross country. That particular rule is for all the competitions....at least that is how i read it

But nowhere does it say that we have to do a formal trot up after cross country. It just says that the horses need to have a vet check out the horses after cross country phase. Just like they usually do.

Oops looks like i double posted ....or triple posted, sorry

If stadium jumping is the last phase, a horse inspection before it is always required. That will only be at CCIs after this year. CCIs have sj as the last phase, while CIC will always have XC last from 2014 on. In 2013 the order of the CIC phases is optional with the organizers.. An immediate formal horse inspection that can result in elimination after XC where XC is the last phase (CICs) is something very unusual and nowhere required by the FEI rules that I can see. The finish box check rules are applicable to both CCIs and CICs, again as I read the rules.

Personally, I think the FEI rules for CICs stink.

Perhaps the rider was eliminated because the ground jury thought the rider was riding an obviously lame horse (horse abuse). That could initiated by the final vet check at the finish box.

Perhaps the person who posted that the "X" means that there was a jog and the horse was spun was incorrect? I took their post to mean that they were there and witnessed this, but perhaps not. Perhaps only speculation on their part. This is too hard to figure out!

Several years ago at the CIC* at Maui Jim, there was so much rain that a last minute decision was made to have x-c postponed a day and the event ran in the order of dressage, then stadium, then x-c. A final jog was required, and they had the horses jog after they crossed the finish line on x-c.

Saves money on a jog outfit, but I can't think of any other advantages.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Just to be clear, the Galway CIC ran dressage and stadium on Friday and XC on Saturday.