The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cathalido bloodlines, Holsteiner sire; any comments on quality of his offspring

Obviously, the quality and physical characteristics of the mare are important as well.

What I am after is: are there any consistent traits, good OR bad that Cathalido throws to his babies?

Yep! He throws his "look" and his type along with big gaits. His daughters are lovely producers, so I would consider him a mare sire. He adds refinement in that he brings a modern type, but if you breed him to a large mare, you will get more modern but you will also get large. If you breed him to a blooded mare (i.e. Thoroughbred), sometimes they are too blooded. I feel he crosses best with medium framed warmblood mares. His offspring tend to be very slow maturing and it is not uncommon for a 4 year old to grow another 3 or 4 inches. They are easy to start under saddle and have amateur friendly minds.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

1 members found this post helpful.

He produces the most gorgeous fillies I have ever seen! Truly beautiful.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have a mare of his. Shes on the smaller side, maybe 15.3 and petite but very pretty! Everyone always asks who she is. Shes out of a TB guess that is where her small size came from. She is the most athletic horse of her size I have seen!

Always thought he put great movement on his foals, very nice types, and jumping ability. I really liked the Cat colt I had, last I heard he was on the smaller side, but certainly a talented jumper. Perhaps he'll eek out a few more inches, as he was born in 2009. A very nice stallion in NA.

Have there been any instances or reports of his offspring having shivers?

I've never heard of such from him.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

No, not that I am aware of. I know of one that has an abnormal gait at the walk, but is competing successfully and the owner says that the university said that it was not shivers. Other than that one, I have not heard of others and he has over 100 offspring on the ground.
    Visit us on facebook!

Just as an aside, why wouldn't you call or email for this information? I am very straight forward with people and will give the good, the bad, or the ugly, but going about it this way is a little bit like trolling. Cathalido no longer stands here, so it doesn't affect us, but this is the way rumors get started. I don't have a problem with someone coming on and asking about a specific situation and whether it is par for the course or a one off situation, but I would suggest going to the source who would have that "factual" information first. Sure, not all people will be honest, but that is the best place to start.
    Visit us on facebook!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showjumpers66 View Post
    Just as an aside, why wouldn't you call or email for this information? I am very straight forward with people and will give the good, the bad, or the ugly, but going about it this way is a little bit like trolling. Cathalido no longer stands here, so it doesn't affect us, but this is the way rumors get started. I don't have a problem with someone coming on and asking about a specific situation and whether it is par for the course or a one off situation, but I would suggest going to the source who would have that "factual" information first. Sure, not all people will be honest, but that is the best place to start.
    This !

At the very least the OP should have searched out the owners of Cathalido offspring and asked them.

I know Cathalido and know his full brother Cormint in Holstein. I also know their Carthago mother. Never heard anything negative about either brother and have produced a Cathalido daughter myself. A breeder like me is where you should have started. Silver Creek would have been happy to give you the names of owner / breeders of his offspring.

Sorry to ruffle feathers!

I am NOT a breeder and do not own a mare. I posted this in Horse Care and readers there suggested that I post the question here.

I was looking at a TB/Holsteiner X that was sired by Cathalido who had a very obvious problem with his hind legs that was not vet diagnosed but looked like shivers to me.

Only trying to figure out if it came from the TB side or the sire's side, not trying to cast aspersions on Cathalido.

I wouldn't even know where to start to contact whoever is standing Cathalido so I started on COTH without your assistance.
    Already wasted too much of my time on this.

Thank you all for your help.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shivers (or such symptoms) can also come from an injury. I know of one such case where the horse was injured and subsequently displayed the classic shivers symptom when the farrier worked on it, or after a strenuous workout, stress, etc.

My point is, I don't know that there is a 100% agreement on shivers as only a genetic condition (although it is certainly more common in draft horses). Just something else to consider.

http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/shivers/
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

I have found that many times it is dietary related in warmbloods and changing to a very low starch / high fat feed and supplementing with Vitamin E and corn oil resolves or significantly improves the ones I have been around.
    Visit us on facebook!

My feathers are not ruffled, but a GOOGLE search of Cathalido's name would have taken you to information for either his current or previous owners. I would have been more than happy to assist you and I may have even known the history on the particular horse that you were considering. As breeders, we want to share information so that we can better our breeding programs and the sport horse in general, but there is much history with people trolling and starting rumors about stallions. If there is a true issue, than I think it should be discussed from a breeders' point of view as something a mare owner should know before using a stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by outfoxem View Post
    Sorry to ruffle feathers!

I am NOT a breeder and do not own a mare. I posted this in Horse Care and readers there suggested that I post the question here.

I was looking at a TB/Holsteiner X that was sired by Cathalido who had a very obvious problem with his hind legs that was not vet diagnosed but looked like shivers to me.

Only trying to figure out if it came from the TB side or the sire's side, not trying to cast aspersions on Cathalido.

I wouldn't even know where to start to contact whoever is standing Cathalido so I started on COTH without your assistance.
    Already wasted too much of my time on this.

Thank you all for your help.
    Visit us on facebook!

I would like to say that the horse that I saw that was sired by Cathalido was pretty spectacular.