The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default How's the drought in the rest of the country?

I am SO sick of rain and thunderstorms, I could cry. Largely because this weather makes all my joints ache, but because nothing can get done outside.
    There has been some talk of catastrophic floods this season.

Is the drought in rest of the country getting broken this winter/spring?
    Last edited by vineyridge; Mar. 31, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

We didn't get as much snowfall down here on the eastern plains of CO, but the mountains got a fair amount. The reservoir nearest our place is full, but our friends that farm 15 minutes north on a different ditch company were notified that as of now, they have 2 days of irrigation water coming to them for the entire summer. Some late snow storms would help. I would not say it has broken, but we are in better shape than last year this time
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

We are still dry, very, very dry.

Very dry.

Predictions say we are starting into the 3rd year of a 5 year record breaking drought, that is the 17th year of a 30 year drought cycle.

Nuff said.

Very, very dry.

The old time ranchers are saying this is as bad, possibly worse than the drought in the 50's. I had one ranchers wife (in her early 80's) tell me that she has seen it very dry many many times, but doesn't remember it ever being this dry for this long.

Default Midwest ~ drought is no longer ````` three snows and now some rain ! NICE !

Midwest ~ drought is 'no longer' ``` three big snows and now rain! NICE !

Brome hay crop should be wonderful !

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    We didn't get as much snowfall down here on the eastern plains of CO, but the mountains got a fair amount. The reservoir nearest our place is full, but our friends that farm 15 minutes north on a different ditch company were notified that as of now, they have 2 days of irrigation water coming to them for the entire summer. Some late snow storms would help. I would not say it has broken, but we are in better shape than last year this time
    Glad some parts of Colorado are doing okay. We're not, here in Fort Collins. Already had 1000 acres burn just west (JUST west--Lory State Park) of the city. This is going to be a terrible year for fires for us, I think.

It's bad enough that--for the first time ever--we have watering restrictions starting next month. We got very little snow this year and there's just no water

CA is looking bad. We've had good rain the last 5 years or so, but not this year. It rained a lot in November/December, and it's been spring since then. We were supposed to get a bit of rain last night, but it looks dry. We're really low, and unless we get unheard of rain soon, we're in drought.

But, that's normal. About every 8 years or so we have a drought.

We had an unusually, less wet, winter than what's normal for the PNW. And this past week, temps in the 70s, which is also unusual for March/April weather. Probably going to be a dry, hot, dusty summer this year.

Northern CA is moderately dry, I guess. We've had/are having rain this week. It's like winter, but in spring. Our winter was pretty dry though.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

PP--I'm in northern CA, too. Have you watched the news? We're REALLY dry. Our rainfall totals and snowpack are really low.

"The monthly measurement of the state's frozen water supply Thursday found 52 percent of the normal snowpack for April 1.

as of Thursday, a total of 1.72 inches of rain had fallen in San Francisco in January, February and March, the driest first three months of the year in the city since records began in 1850. That's compared with a long-term average of 12.39 inches for those three months, which accounts for more than half of San Francisco's average annual rainfall of 23.65 inches, he said.

The snow water content in the Central Sierra, which includes the Lake Tahoe area, is now 57 percent of normal, based on the average of 40 electronic monitoring stations. That's compared with 90 percent of normal two months ago and 134 percent of normal on Jan. 2, when the first snow survey of the year was conducted.
    The Northern Sierra is at 55 percent of normal, and the Southern Sierra at 40 percent of normal. Only 13 inches of snow - 32 percent of the long-term average

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...#ixzz2P9MzSCtt

All of TX is rated 97% in a drought.

We look crispy dry, like the middle of winter, not even the trees have started budding out yet, but are about to start.
    Just as well, as we had a very hard freeze last week.
    They called the moisture for next few days off now, just a dry Northern, that may only side swap us after all.

I hope someone, somewhere does raise some alfalfa this year.

We are not dry at this very moment, however we are still in moderate to extreme conditions from a 12+ year drought. The water table is still >5 feet lower than average. Predictions have us above average precipitation for the next 3 months. I hope it comes to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Glad some parts of Colorado are doing okay. We're not, here in Fort Collins. Already had 1000 acres burn just west (JUST west--Lory State Park) of the city. This is going to be a terrible year for fires for us, I think.

It's bad enough that--for the first time ever--we have watering restrictions starting next month. We got very little snow this year and there's just no water
    We are supposed to get some precipitation on Tuesday - hopefully we'll get some nice rain in April and May!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

We were in a moderate drought last year, but we had good snow cover this Winter and our water table is in decent shape here in Western New York.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

San Diego area is just shy of 3 inches below average.

The northwest corner of Illinois is still under drought conditions, however the snow and rain has helped and conditions continue to improve.

Here in NM we should have had irrigation water starting in Feb. Rio Grande still sand. Elephant Butte is about 20% of normal. Problems are occurring with ground water if shallow being more salty and creating problems. We need a good El Nino year. Forests are very prone to more fire this to the point NM has 5 seasons with the fifth from April to July monsoons being the fire season. Keeping fingers crossed for the monsoons. Also towns becoming ghost towns because of no water.

We're slightly below average in NC, but it's wet enough that everything is growing. It's been unusually cold for here, today was the first "normal" day in awhile and it's still getting pretty chilly at night. We hope for a bit more rain to get us through the summer.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Ride'emCO View Post
    We are supposed to get some precipitation on Tuesday - hopefully we'll get some nice rain in April and May!
    We got a lovely long rain last night, then it froze, made egg hunting interesting.

The snow we got over last weekend screwed up lots of plans local farm families had for spring break. The fields were simply too wet to get into.

Last year was so depressing. I drove back to VA via I-70 and 64 and the whole middle of the country was brown. Corn was a joke, many people simply plowed under rather than harvest. They wouldn't have got back the price of the fuel
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"