The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Update: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back. Sigh.

Alrighty then! With great optimism, off we go to try 1st Level Test 1 and....Test 3, because (a) we've qualified for RAAC and will have to do Test 3 for THAT; and (b) We're no HOY candidate, but All Breeds is within reach and that requires two test 3 scores. Right.

Okay, so off we head into the hinterlands - about a 1.5 hr. drive with trailer. Barn trainer (not my trainer, but a friend) and I both do 1st Level Test 1, and she gets a 63.797% and I get a 63.134%. We are both happy. Her horse's 1st level debut, my horse's 3rd show at this level.

She then did First/Test 2 before a different judge, and while I thought it was pretty nice, she got a bare 60%. I should have known the judge was tough when another friend, showing a VERY green horse at TL got a THREE on a 20 m. circle. It was 20 m., it was round, the horse was forward, but was a bit
    above the bit. Now, our BO is an "S" judge, and she told me once that at the lower levels, if the horse does the movement (i.e., does a 20 m. circle - not oval, not square) is reasonably forward, doesn't move like a lame aardvark, and the rider looks half-way decent, it's a FIVE, even if the horse is above the bit. Whatever.

So, THREE HOURS (aargh) after my first ride, I trot down the centerline for First Level Test 3. First judge had said he could be more forward, so I'm pushing him on a little more. Some irregular steps in lenthened trot. Oops. First leg yield, don't wanna, mom insists, we do it. Circles and other leg yield good. Stretchy circle good and transition into walk good. Free walk could be more energetic, but stretching good. ALL canter work good - and he's very balanced in the counter-canter loop. People watching who don't know me applaud energetically. Overall, I'm thinking, mmm.....coefficient on legyield will hurt, but - fingers crossed- 60-61%. Yeah, well think again. 59%. Okay, so you're going to say, "not too awful for first time trying test 3 and with some mistakes - and you're right - but this horse has raised my standards and - horror! - apparently between 10:30 AM and 1:45 PM, I forgot how to ride, because I got a - I don't even want to say it - FOUR in one of the rider categories. That has NEVER happened to me before, and I usually get a 6.5 or 7. Yikes! Back to the drawing board!

And oh yeah - truck overheated TWICE on the way home. Nothing like standing by the side of the road, pouring water into the radiator at 5:30 P.M. on a two lane road that requires headlights on at all times and has $2,500 fine for speeding/reckless driving. Today, $575 later, I have a once again functional truck, but at the time, I was wondering if I was going to make it home.

We've all had shows like that. Chalk it up to miles under your belt (and his). Onward and upward! You're doing really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Don't feel bad about the four, Sandy.... Just the other day I got a THREE!!! And this is the 100th times we've shown 1st level test 3. Yike. Pony stepped into a groove right after X of the single loop left lead canter, fell to trot, corrected him trying to pick up left lead canter - got the wrong lead; corrected him again and got the left lead before the corner. Big ole three. I think judges are more willing to give high and low scores these days. In this one test, I got one 9 and one 3, go figure.

A few things:

1) Keep the good news coming. I think I speak for everyone if I say we can't get enough of it!

2) You make a nice pair. He is beautiful and you look like you are enjoying yourself.

3) What a beautiful site for a show!

That is all!!!

Ditto to the above posted by oldernewbie.

well done, sixty fives are a very decent score

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Don't feel bad about the four, Sandy.... Just the other day I got a THREE!!! And this is the 100th times we've shown 1st level test 3. Yike. Pony stepped into a groove right after X of the single loop left lead canter, fell to trot, corrected him trying to pick up left lead canter - got the wrong lead; corrected him again and got the left lead before the corner. Big ole three. I think judges are more willing to give high and low scores these days. In this one test, I got one 9 and one 3, go figure.
    Understand, but OMG - an oops during a test is one thing, getting dinged for rider position/hands is another. I'm used to getting comments about not being straight (that damned right shoulder!) but rarely has that been scored lower than 5, and usually my generals are 6s and 7s. That 4 hurts! On the other hand, it sure gets one's attention. While I don't think it was so bad as to deserve a 4, obviously it wasn't good, so one more thing to work on.

Try not to despair - it's always hard getting those tough scores, but sometimes we learn the most at those painful moments. I know all of us have had them.

As an aside, if you want to get out and work on your tests, we have a couple of competition clinics with a S Judge at our barn in the south bay if you want to get some direct feedback and work on specific movements. Shoot me a note and I can give you the scoop.

Sorry that it was a tough show - it's happened to all of us, believe me.

Sandy its crazy!

I just had a show in a pretty good field and since horse perfect right before me is only barely 70 then what the helk will they give us! LOL

Yeah, so your movements have to be extra good on those days, but at the same time pat on the back I know youve been working at getting pony out and behaving and it looks like you are!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Sandy, congrats on a successful show, even with that one bad score. I still cannot believe all you have worked through to get this far, and am so impressed you are out there getting it done. Sometimes I just scratch my head about scoring, it's not supposed to be so subjective but it is.

How ironic if he finally settles down - only to reveal the true (Lazy Appy) nature. Sort of a "be careful what you wish for" situation. That is, lazy unless they're doing something THEY want to do. Nah, he's easy enough to get forward, but with his movement (he really covers a lot of ground), I think perhaps I'm misjudging how forward he is, and what is needed is more engagement? Aaargh. Life was much simpler when I evented or did jumpers! You either got over the fence or you didn't! No nuances! ROFLOL

No kidding, Sandy! I'm still scratching head - how the hell am I supposed to achieve Submission and Impulsion, all in one Harmonious balance and elastic Gaits without losing my Rider's Seat and Position! I mean, when pony is happy and hee-hawing, he is forward, implying some sort of impulsion, right? But wait no - he is got No Submission!

I think that we all have to just keep working away at it. My fancy mare is not working these days, so I am bringing along a nice young horse with fairly average gaits. So when we show, he has to have a rather perfect go to be competitive.

But the flip side on this is that when we have a good go and we're only a point or two off a very expensive horse, I think "look what we just did!".

You just have to take the feedback, apply it and work hard to improve.

Yep. Exactly.

I always feel "forward" but really only trit-trotting MORE, not more impulsion. (pulls out what is left of hair after last show)
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/