The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Level Debut

Well,we didn't exactly blow anyone away, but the big achievement was that he BEHAVED. At the RAAC a little over a year ago, he was manic, as he often is at new places, but while he was sometimes inattentive and was certainly on the muscle on occasion, he behaved really well. We did TL/3 for a 64%, then First Level Test 1 for a 62.414%. I can see from the video a LOT needs to be improved (me), but overall, if only for his good behavior, I am VERY happy with him. (and less happy with me - wincing a bit at the video on occasion - one judge was REALLY tough on position and I think our TL score in particular would have been much higher if I were a bit straighter. Damned right shoulder has a mind of its own! LOL)

Congratulations on survival with scores above 60. A few more shows will allow you to relax and ride.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm refreshed to hear there's a judge scoring strictly for position. Please PM their name; I'd like to thank them.

Good on you for a smooth sailing ride! Hopefully with time you'll trust the consistency and your position can align.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Sandy, big congratulations! You have become one of my inspirations as I am afraid I bought the mare version of your horse last year (another Arabian cross) for many of the same reasons as you, and find myself with many of the same issues! How old is he now?

The fact that you just keep on trucking along and are having success give me hope!

Congrats on your scores above 60% at your first level debut!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Sandy, big congratulations! You have become one of my inspirations as I am afraid I bought the mare version of your horse last year (another Arabian cross) for many of the same reasons as you, and find myself with many of the same issues! How old is he now?

The fact that you just keep on trucking along and are having success give me hope!
    LOL!! He just turned 9 (3.16). Of course, we had a year off with his ligament injury, and an entire show season with my broken arm...so I think of him as being 7!

Congratulations, Sandy! You're an inspiration. I'd love to see the video and hear about the comments if you don't mind. It would be such an education for many of us.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats, SandyM - well done!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Good job on the 1-1 ride and it was fun to see you in person again!
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

Big congratulations!

I too am one of your followers - we have some things in common - crazy for our age and horses with, um, personalities!! I hope to start the next leg of our journey with a go at First this year as well. It's encouraging to read your news!

Good work!!!

Congratulations!! I'm new on here so don't know your "story," but it sounds like a really good one.

Congratulations to you!

He's 9!? I didn't realize he had gotten so old so fast I guess it has been that long hasn't it? I don't know what keeps you going, you are more woman than me.

Thanks so much. I wish I were of a size to have a cute. talented German Riding Pony/POA cross (!) (Gotta have those spots!) ROFLOL!!

That is awesome, Sandy. Congratulations! You've been through quite a bit with that beautiful boy. But it sounds like it was all worth it.

Default Update - 2nd Time Out

Okay, guys - if this is "OMG, she's telling us about ANOTHER show, please make her stop...." please tell me to let it go. LOL

Just to note that, just two weeks after our 1st Level debut, we did another local (but 3***) show, and....65% at 1st/1 and 65.135% at 1st/2. Again, rider position was an issue, and an overstrong half halt caused a little break (interestingly, judge just said "irregular step at R" so I guess I kept him going enough that what I felt as a trot step wasn't THAT obvious). The first judge really like his canter work, 2nd liked his trot work better. He got a 3rd for the 2nd test. We tied for 5th with the first, but a friend of mine was ONE point better in the generals, so she got the ribbon. ;o)

I'm just increasingly thrilled that his BEHAVIOR is so good. In fact, this time, we had a power failure and my alarm didn't go off, so what should have been a leisurely morning (1st ride at 11:14 A.M.), turned into a panicked rush. When I got to show, I just groomed, saddled, dressed, and hopped on - no longeing, no "relaxation" time tied to the trailer for an hour or so bef. warmup - so his good behavior was even more gratifying!

Amusing notes: There was a mule showing 1st level and it got 67%. Lovely animal, dark, dark bay, dam was a TB. We joked that if there were breed awards, she and I would get them, because we're usually the only mule/only Appy at a dressage show. So...later I saw a lady leading a VERY nice Appy around, grazing it. She wasn't showing, but was a boarder at the facility. I complimented her on the horse and asked about its breeding, and wouldn't you know it: It was from the same breeder from whom I purchased my horse - a cousin! LOL
    Last edited by Sandy M; Apr. 15, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Keep it coming, Sandy! You need to post us some pictures or video too! You continue to be an inspiration.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Wish I could. My present work computer's Media Player is off-line and IT hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet. If and when that happens, I'll try to figure out how to post something.

RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

Don't look at the ones where he hollowed out and popped his head ("Who/What's that over there?!? No dammit, focus on what WE'RE doing!" ROFLOL) [Not to mention don't look at the ones where I hunch over. Sigh.]

Photographer said he would post La Jolla pics of me on the Greenville site. Probably won't show up until Wednesday.
    Last edited by Sandy M; Apr. 16, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

A few things:

1) Keep the good news coming. I think I speak for everyone if I say we can't get enough of it!

2) You make a nice pair. He is beautiful and you look like you are enjoying yourself.

3) What a beautiful site for a show!

That is all!!!

2 members found this post helpful.