The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF rule on bedding

Getting ready for first horse show in a couple of years. While going over my packing list my sister asked how much extra bedding am I taking....I told her I am not allowed to bring my own bedding to this horse show according to the rules of the facility...She thought the USEF had a rule prohibiting facilities from requiring competitors to only use the the facilities horse bedding. It has been a while since either of us have shown so we thought we would put the question out to all of you....

So, Can facilites mandate you buy bedding from them? And prevent you from bringing your own?

The rule of a facility and a rule from USEF are two different things. I don't know about USEF (never heard of a bedding rule), but I have heard of facilities that, for instance, required shavings but you couldn't use straw.

Quote Originally Posted by humbledagain View Post
    Getting ready for first horse show in a couple of years. While going over my packing list my sister asked how much extra bedding am I taking....I told her I am not allowed to bring my own bedding to this horse show according to the rules of the facility...She thought the USEF had a rule prohibiting facilities from requiring competitors to only use the the facilities horse bedding. It has been a while since either of us have shown so we thought we would put the question out to all of you....

So, Can facilites mandate you buy bedding from them? And prevent you from bringing your own?
    Yes, there is a USEF rule that allows you to bring in bedding, feed, use your own vet or farrier. GR 1216.7
    But read the rule carefully. It mentions local law and contract requirements.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

The reason certain facilities have their own rule regarding the type of bedding you can bring is because of disposal issues. Most often they are put in place by the facility for multiple reasons. Sometimes it's a matter of it being easier to remove certain types of bedding from their stalls, it smells better in the barn with one type, and usually most importantly the people hauling away and composting the used bedding have specific requirements. Sometimes they will not pick up a certain type or will charge the show manager more for a different type of bedding being added in the waste material they pick up. Thus the reason they require only certains types in the stalls on the grounds.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"