The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anything to help dog after "gelding"?

Well I did something silly and took in a dog who was about to be put to sleep at the local shelter. He's only a foster (hopefully lol). He's a 3 year old Pointer/Catahoula mix something and just got neutered yesterday. The poor guy was miserable all night try to get at his incision area. Flailing around, frantically clawing at his cone collar, whining and pacing. I was up all night trying to keep him calm so he didn't hurt himself. I gave him a good dose of Benedryl and that knocked him out for a few hours. But he managed to get the cone collar off early this morning while I was still asleep.

The incision area is pretty red and raw as are a couple areas around his testicles. The testicles themselves are pretty swollen and bruised, which I've read is not unusual when neutering adult dogs. He's also worn down a raw spot on his testicles. He seems MUCH better today, he's kept his collar on and although you can tell he's still uncomfortable, he's not trying to go after himself much anymore.

I've put in calls to the pound where he got fixed at, and the foster people to find out what I can do for him, but I haven't heard from them all day. And I'm guessing since he's in a foster program he's not going to get anything extra anyways. Is there anything that I can put on the raw areas to help them heal and maybe ease the irritation? Anything I can give him for pain relief, just a one night thing so at least we can all get some sleep hopefully(he's a lanky 50lbs)? Or anything to reduce the swelling in the testicles? Thank you!! (and PS, if anybody in Texas wants an awesome, sweet, beautiful dog, let me know ;-)

Of course, pictures...(though none that do him justice yet)
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...40088208_n.jpg

Our dog Molly was very worried about him last night.
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...84780729_n.jpg
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

1 members found this post helpful.

Hopefully he doesn't still have testicles after going in for neutering!

It sounds like he was in some pretty significant pain last night. If he continues, I'd request pain killers from the vet. Anything you've got at home--aspirin or other NSAIDS--are probably counter-indicated, as they can cause bleeding. Some tramadol or a narcotic from the vet is most likely going to be your best bet.

If he'll let you, icing the area may also provide some relief.

3 members found this post helpful.

A friend just had her 6 month old ACD neutered and he never knew anything was amiss.
    She had trouble keeping him from playing and playing hard.

Maybe yours being older made a difference?
    Did your vet give some pain killers to tide him over?

Good that he is better today, but if he had swelling large enough to look like he was not neutered, I would at least call the vet to be sure that is ok.

I might take him in to the vet and have them check the incision site, just to make sure nothing is amiss. At the very least, they can prescribe him something for the pain, assuming that's truly what is bothering him (some dogs will go crazy just from the E-collar).

Did you run his regular collar through his E-collar? Sometimes that can help it stay on.

Bravo, BB - You did a mitzvah!!

Back in the olden days ('83) I found an older (10ish) unneutered GSD in the woods (tied by a choke collar and chain leash, which he had managed to break) and adopted him. When he was neutered, his scrotum swelled considerably, and I was advised to icepack it No painkillers offered.

Well, THAT was fun--I remember using frozen bags of corn and peas, and being the supreme jerry-rigger, I "borrowed" one of my brother's old jockstraps to give him some "support". I iced his empty package 5x/day or more, and I must say that the jockstrap fit very well and did a great job keeping the swollen scrotum quiet until the swelling went down.

Ah, memories...

3 members found this post helpful.

of all the dogs I've had neutered, there was only one who even noticed. He came from a shelter after being neutered and he had a MASSIVE infection. I'd be off to see my regular vet about this.

Get him checked out, that doesn't sound normal. Not even going to address the testicles comment!

that's not normal. Usually the males act like nothing happened and your biggest problem is keeping them quiet for a couple of days. There shouldn't be any raw red or swollen areas? vet visit indicated.
    Last edited by wendy; Apr. 10, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

I would take him to the vet, it sounds like he was given no pain meds.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

My nephew and his fiance just spent mucho dinero at Tufts (big vet school) on thier rescued puppy. She had a massive infection from being spayed that lay dormant, or was just not noticable to them.

I would see the vet and in the meantime, I like Neopsporin cream that has the topical pain reliever in it.

When our hound got neutered, not only did they send him home with no pain meds, they also sent him home still bleeding with no stitches, staples, or glue. And without a cone. It was an AWESOME 24 hours. My kitchen looked like a scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

What I did for him, because holding ice to it wasn't an option at all. I cut a tail hole in a pair of old boyshort style underwear (the spandex material...cotton didn't stay up around his hips), then dripped some water on the absorbent side of some Kotex pads and stuck them in the freezer. We then secured the Kotex into the pair of panties with the sticky stuff and some duct tape... Viola! Puppy ice pack. It helped keep all the blood off the floor, and with the cool pad on it, he didn't try to itch it.

How is everything today with him? I recall when I had a big collie neutered in middle age, that he developed an infection on one side and a hematoma on the other. Vet said he had never seen this happen before in his years in practice (and this was my regular, wonderful vet). Hoping your guy heals with no more problems.

I had one spazzy Aussie that couldn't get over what had happened and pestered his incision to oblivion. I think a fussy dog can really mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    if he had swelling large enough to look like he was not neutered, I would at least call the vet to be sure that is ok.
    Your description matches what happened with my blue heeler mix, also adopted pre-euthanasia from the shelter. He needed another surgery.

Vet visit today.

Check with vet to be sure he is ok. Get pain meds.

You can put some Cortisone cream NEAR but not on the incision, on the shaved areas, to stop the prickly/itchy feel that shaved hair makes you have.

You can also put men's underwear on backwards so the tail comes out the crotch, and take cone off if you have him with you where you can give 100% supervision so he doesn't try to chew or lick.

They make soft cone collars that most dogs seem to find more comfortable. My dogs HATED the cones, but the underwear and Cortisone cream made it so they were ok without it. the cones seem worse than anything else.

The vet wasn't concerned with his incision site or testicles, said it wasn't abnormal. Luckily the day after he was remarkably calmer, happier and slept right through the night. Everything is healing up, I've just been putting triple antibiotic cream with pain relief on him and it seems to be helping. He doesn't have to wear the cone anymore and doesn't bother the area at all. So relieved he is better!

He's turning out to be a great dog. After a few days and him settling in, his personality is really starting to shine. He's such a happy, affectionate and smart dog. He still needs to work on his manners and paying attention when he gets excited but he is learning very fast. I'm quietly hoping nobody adopts him so we can end up adopting him ourselves :-) He's certainly doing his best to stay with us. I took him to an adoption event this weekend and naturally he was pretty excited with all the dogs and things going on. He pee'd on somebody's chair, got blamed for being aggressive (a nasty little shih tzu tried attacking him and he growled back, but everybody acted like it was all his fault), and jumped on the only potential adopter to come look at him, which made them walk away quickly. LOL I think he's trying to say he wants to stick around.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

You do realize he no longer HAS testicles, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You do realize he no longer HAS testicles, right?
    lol I meant scrotum, sorry
    OTTB CONNECT