The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a kindle fire but I cryfoul on themnot letting you download or read books from Project Gutenberg.
    Spiteful little Amazon programing ninnies!

Can't figure out how to get around that bug in the system.

Serves me right after not following up with what happened with punch cards/tape magnetic tape, and 5.25 inch floppy disks.

Let me just readust the whisker on my crystal so I can hear what the crazies on ham radio are talking about.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I have a kindle fire but I cryfoul on themnot letting you download or read books from Project Gutenberg.
    Spiteful little Amazon programing ninnies!

Can't figure out how to get around that bug in the system.

Serves me right after not following up with what happened with punch cards/tape magnetic tape, and 5.25 inch floppy disks.

Let me just readust the whisker on my crystal so I can hear what the crazies on ham radio are talking about.
    Download kindle format file on project Gutenburg website & send to your special kindle email address. Read and enjoy.

I usually have one day a week where I download a bunch of free books at once and send them to my kindle.

This works with PDF files from hathitrust.org too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not only that, but a lot of the free Kindle books on Amazon are simply repackaged Project Gutenberg texts. I did have to get Pride and Prejudice directly from the PG site for some reason, but all the other Austen books are available free.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Oh I don't know, I have a kindle that was a hand me down from I Ex 7 months ago, it would have cost me a bunch of money to get all the books I read this winter, Ordering, shipping, or going to a book store. Most were 6.99
    I don't buy much so this was not a lot for me.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by fjordmom View Post

As for complaints about really poor quality books - that's what you get when the money and time isn't invested to create a quality product. Enjoy your $2.99 special!!!!!
    FWIW I have enjoyed many of the free or $3 specials. In some cases I have Downloaded one book free then paid for more by the same author, an author I may have never considered otherwise.

Sure some of the books out there are not of interest to me, even those with high ratings but the same could be said for my local book store.

I resisted buying one at first but I'm a convert
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    FWIW I have enjoyed many of the free or $3 specials. In some cases I have Downloaded one book free then paid for more by the same author, an author I may have never considered otherwise.

Sure some of the books out there are not of interest to me, even those with high ratings but the same could be said for my local book store.

I resisted buying one at first but I'm a convert
    I'm laid up right now so reading a lot. I downloaded a bunch of free and $.99 books, and after reading those bought ones from the same author up to $5. One of the best moves I think they make in selling books in a series that is already a couple books in is making the first free or cheap

1 members found this post helpful.