The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

^^^ like Bruce Willis and his disagreement over his digital music collection, and his wanting to be able to leave it to his children in his will.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    My local library does not yet have that service, unfortunately.
    Are there any neighboring towns where you can sign up for a library card that does have the service? Perhaps near where you work? Maybe you can sign up online.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I think they're too expensive too-it's kept me from getting a Kindle. My daughter has a Nook and it was such a hassle trying to get books on it from the library (wrong format, not available, computer issues, ect) we all just sort of gave up on it. I love to listen to books on my MP3 while I drive and that's too expensive most of the time too-my parents and I combined an account and that helps but not enough, we only use it twice a year when we're traveling.

What drives me nuts is that ok, maybe the printing and materials for a physical book only contributes a small percentage of price...but a kindle book that costs the same comes with RULES! Those stupid sharing policies, where some books you can't share with anyone at all?? That's a load of BS.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I only get upset when the price of the kindle edition is the same as the hardback!

It's bad enough to be paying paperback prices - are the production costs identical for the kindle vs paperback?- but really, I'll never see paying hardback price for a digital item as anything other than highway robbery.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree, and it's one of the reasons I haven't bought a Kindle or similar, despite being a reading addict AND not having room for books to pile up around my apartment. I absolutely think the author and everyone should make money, but several of the books that I looked at last time I was considering cost MORE to download than buy a paper copy - that's just ridiculous.

I'm also annoyed that a lot of my favorite authors and books lately have gone to those "premium paperback" versions - so that while I used to pay on average $7-8 for a book, now they are $13-15! Don't get me wrong, I like those premium books better, but not enough that I want to pay twice as much!

BTW there is a sticky in Off Course for free Kindle horse books.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

If you want to make sure that the eBooks you've purchased remain yours, google "convert kindle to pdf"

Calibre comes highly rated: http://calibre-ebook.com/about (CNET Editor's rating: 4.5 stars (Nov, 2009))

I have not used it myself, but I'm thinking of downloading it as I have a large number of eBooks that I don't want to lose before I can read them.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

www.bookbub.com
    Great website where you can sign up for daily emails for ebooks under $3. Some pretty good titles too!

One thing I love about having ebooks on my iPad is that if I do happen to get a horrible book (it happens), all I have to do it tap the home screen and choose another one. No getting up and hunting for something else.

Also, I bet the next time I move, I will really appreciate having 100+ books on my iPad/Cloud rather than in boxes!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

If your local library does not have an e-lending library, check with the nearest large city. For example, I live outside of Boston but I have an "e-library" account with the Boston public library. it's normally outside of my network but I can download ebooks and audiobooks from them. My mother lives in New York and doesn't use the electronic portion of her library so I use her card to access that library too.

I love the ability to read ebooks. I buy some, but get a lot free from the library.

As for the cost of the books? Authors need to make a living too. I figure I'm buying the content and can choose if I want it digitally or in hard copy. I don't mind paying $7-10 bucks for a digital book. I think of it as the equivalent to a paperback.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree that it's frustrating to pay so much -- but I used to work for a publishing company, and it costs a fortune before the book even goes into print. Like someone mentioned, printing the book really is the cheapest part.

Publishing companies are losing TONS of money because of things like amazon, e-bay, etc. where people are now able to very easily resell used books and textbooks. As a result, the first copy of the book has to be that much more expensive, because we tend to sell less than half of what we used to as people resell online for next to nothing, and very very few people give a rat's behind if their book is new.

Textbook companies, in particular, are constantly having to come out with "new editions" just to be able to stay afloat... which means more copy-editing, marketing, royalties, contracts, paper-pushers, legal fees, etc. Without new editions demanding purchasing straight from the publishing company, the online used book market would have taken us down years ago.

There's also a shift in the popularity of digital -- which is fine, except it still costs almost the same as the print copy to get the digital copy published. You still have to pay editors, royalties, copy-editors, marketing, cover design, etc. The materials are a drop in the bucket... so why shouldn't you pay close to the same? Are publishers expected to drop prices because people can steal the product more easily now? That seems unfair to expect of a business. The line of thinking seems to be that publishers should stop expecting to make money off their product because people can easily steal it. It actually kind of blows my mind that we feel entitled to cheap products to the point that if we don't get what we want, we'll just break the law, and whichever company or individual's livelihood is depending on that, well, tough cookies -- my $6.99 would be better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by flowersmom2 View Post
    And it's kind of an industry standard, I guess. Baen books used to have a great e-catalog with most of their older books at $6.00 apiece. As of December, their books are now available to through other vendors. But to do that, they had to raise their on site prices. At least they passed some of the profit on, they increased author royalties by 25%.
    And I can't emphasize enough how generous that royalty level is. (Though with a lot of Baen's authors getting advances, it takes a lot of sales before that kicks in. Though sometimes with ebook-only it's just a percentage of the cover price.)

I appreciate people not wanting to pay a lot for ebooks. OTOH, the lower the price, the lower the author's cut.

I don't think anyone is saying they want something for nothing. My biggest beef is that with the digital books the publishing company makes it so that I do not own that book. Why should I pay as much for something I can not borrow a friend? If I own it I should be able to do what I want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    I agree that it's frustrating to pay so much -- but I used to work for a publishing company, and it costs a fortune before the book even goes into print. Like someone mentioned, printing the book really is the cheapest part.

Publishing companies are losing TONS of money because of things like amazon, e-bay, etc. where people are now able to very easily resell used books and textbooks. As a result, the first copy of the book has to be that much more expensive, because we tend to sell less than half of what we used to as people resell online for next to nothing, and very very few people give a rat's behind if their book is new.

Textbook companies, in particular, are constantly having to come out with "new editions" just to be able to stay afloat... which means more copy-editing, marketing, royalties, contracts, paper-pushers, legal fees, etc. Without new editions demanding purchasing straight from the publishing company, the online used book market would have taken us down years ago.

There's also a shift in the popularity of digital -- which is fine, except it still costs almost the same as the print copy to get the digital copy published. You still have to pay editors, royalties, copy-editors, marketing, cover design, etc. The materials are a drop in the bucket... so why shouldn't you pay close to the same? Are publishers expected to drop prices because people can steal the product more easily now? That seems unfair to expect of a business. The line of thinking seems to be that publishers should stop expecting to make money off their product because people can easily steal it. It actually kind of blows my mind that we feel entitled to cheap products to the point that if we don't get what we want, we'll just break the law, and whichever company or individual's livelihood is depending on that, well, tough cookies -- my $6.99 would be better spent elsewhere.
    well, reselling text books is rather old.
    However with ebooks it seems to be rather impossible.

Digital ebooks do have the advantage of being more portable than the hardcopy, which is a huge selling point.

Howevr, as a paperback does not require the same input cost wise as a hardcover, a digital copy should not exceed one in price either.

and of course there is the uncertainty of will it be here tomorrow, when the provider's license runs out! or the sharing aspect. Do I really need to loan my ereader out along with the content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, reselling text books is rather old.
    However with ebooks it seems to be rather impossible.

Digital ebooks do have the advantage of being more portable than the hardcopy, which is a huge selling point.

Howevr, as a paperback does not require the same input cost wise as a hardcover, a digital copy should not exceed one in price either.

and of course there is the uncertainty of will it be here tomorrow, when the provider's license runs out! or the sharing aspect. Do I really need to loan my ereader out along with the content?
    Reselling textbooks is old (like in college bookstores), but having a huge market via amazon.com and ebay is relatively new. It's a new thing for publishers to have to take into consideration with pricing.

And yes, I agree an e-copy should not exceed the cost of the print copy, and there could also (theoretically) be some kind of "license" that goes along with it, so you could lend it or give it to a number of people. But even that complicates things, and it's not just with books. Previously, you bought a CD, lent it to someone, got it back -- still 1 CD. Now, you can lend a CD and they can put the music for free onto their computer.

Same could happen with books. If you gave licenses, you'd be giving out multiple copies of the book once someone bought ONE, which would have to increase the price of the product (think Rosetta Stone -- you can put it on multiple devices, but I am sure that increased product price).

Anyways, I definitely understand the frustrations. We just haven't seemed to find a perfect system yet in the new digital world. One might be a Netflix kind of thing -- you pay for a subscription, and you can download unlimited books to your e-reader.

As an author and independent publisher who has been in the business for over 20 years, I can no longer sit by without a comment on the price of ebooks and peoples expectations there-of. You get what you pay for.

Rather than restating what others have already done well, I hope that those of you who would truly like to understand the financial equation behind ebook creation and pricing will read these 2 (albeit rather lengthy) posts.

http://futurismic.com/2009/10/02/ebo...-has-to-be-so/
    and
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew...b_1610953.html

To summarize - all the costs from author royalty , editorial time, book design through promotion and marketing are the pretty much the same for print or ebook. Production because of the multiple platforms for ebooks is often actually more than for print books, which only require a single format (or at best 2, if your separate hard & soft cover)

Currently the large ebook distributors, especially everyone's favorite source for cheap on-line books in general, are doing a lot of strong-arming of publishers and darn near trying, via their commission structures, to dictate book prices to publishers. This is going on without regard to publishers' input costs or expected ability to recoup those costs from long term sales. As I attend publishing conferences I am meeting many very good niche publishers who are deciding to abandon or not even get into ebooks in the first place after they run the numbers. Hopefully those of you who are currently offended by the price of ebooks won't be offended when your choice of formats shrinks and you have a single price to choose from - take it or leave it. Businesses can not stay afloat if they can't meet their costs.

As for complaints about really poor quality books - that's what you get when the money and time isn't invested to create a quality product. Enjoy your $2.99 special!!!!!

well frankly I don't care about your problems, I have some of my own. Your product costs too much for me to spend money on it. Chew on that.

Quote Originally Posted by fjordmom View Post
    As an author and independent publisher who has been in the business for over 20 years, I can no longer sit by without a comment on the price of ebooks and peoples expectations there-of. You get what you pay for.

Rather than restating what others have already done well, I hope that those of you who would truly like to understand the financial equation behind ebook creation and pricing will read these 2 (albeit rather lengthy) posts.

http://futurismic.com/2009/10/02/ebo...-has-to-be-so/
    and
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew...b_1610953.html

To summarize - all the costs from author royalty , editorial time, book design through promotion and marketing are the pretty much the same for print or ebook. Production because of the multiple platforms for ebooks is often actually more than for print books, which only require a single format (or at best 2, if your separate hard & soft cover)

Currently the large ebook distributors, especially everyone's favorite source for cheap on-line books in general, are doing a lot of strong-arming of publishers and darn near trying, via their commission structures, to dictate book prices to publishers. This is going on without regard to publishers' input costs or expected ability to recoup those costs from long term sales. As I attend publishing conferences I am meeting many very good niche publishers who are deciding to abandon or not even get into ebooks in the first place after they run the numbers. Hopefully those of you who are currently offended by the price of ebooks won't be offended when your choice of formats shrinks and you have a single price to choose from - take it or leave it. Businesses can not stay afloat if they can't meet their costs.

As for complaints about really poor quality books - that's what you get when the money and time isn't invested to create a quality product. Enjoy your $2.99 special!!!!!
    Considering that nowadays one can convert text documents from one to another format at the click of a button....
    your argument is more in line with the music industry. Back in the 80s they tried to strongarm their way into receiving royalties of blank cassette tapes, to 'offset' their loses generated by people taping songs off the radio or their vinyls.
    Then eventually they got busted on the CD costs....it costs less than one dollar to make the CD, add all that other stuff....blah blah....

Not to mention the move to charge TV for showing music videos.

Now, the e-publishers bullying the other guys, now that is another point.

and crap has always been published....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

From the perspective of an avid reader, I think eBooks are worth the price. It is absolutely fantastic to be able to find a book, download it and start reading it in less than two minutes.

I, for one, am willing to pay for good content.

Some publishers, like Kindle, are enabling sharing. I do agree that it should be easier. Same deal for audio books. When I buy a book from Audible, I want to be able to share that too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    Are there any neighboring towns where you can sign up for a library card that does have the service? Perhaps near where you work? Maybe you can sign up online.
    None of the libraries in our county have access to ebooks yet.