The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Price of ebooks and other digital media to high?

So I love to read and so does DH. We have a nook color and a new Nexus so can do Kindle and Nook. BUT do to the price of most of the ebooks being almost as much as the physical book itself, or in the case of some books more then the physical book we find ourselves deciding to go to the library to get a book, buy the used book instead of buying the eBook. I have no issues paying $.99- $5 for an eBook. But when it is the cost of the book itself or just a few dollars less I just can't bring myself to get the eBook, which you don't even own. You are paying for the ebook to be licensed to you which is why you can't always lend them or if you do can only it to the person once.

When are they going to realize that this costs them customers and encourages people to search for places to download the books for free? The same goes for movies and cds .

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I completely agree. The prices of most online books are a rip-off imho.

I agree that the prices stink. But the way I see it, is that I have a toddler and she can't rip out pages 4-367, or throw it in the toilet, or or or... so to me it's worth it in that respect.

I have a lot of books on my 'watch' list and when they go on flash sales or the like, I jump on them then.

Also this website has a great list of places to find free/cheap bestsellers. I refer to it pretty often and have gotten some great deals!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

the printing of the book is probably the cheapest part though. I would not at all be surprised to hear most are done in China, not costing but a buck for hardcover...

what bothers me more is the idea of the digital book going poof without any fault of your own...that was how I first got to hear about Kindle: th guy was suing Amazon because his copy vanished off his device....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My local library has on line book rentals for up to 21 days for free. They can be through Kindle or Overdrive or PDF versions, depends on the book.

4 members found this post helpful.

My local library does not yet have that service, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what bothers me more is the idea of the digital book going poof without any fault of your own...that was how I first got to hear about Kindle: th guy was suing Amazon because his copy vanished off his device....
    The copy will still exist in the Cloud, so you just download it again.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    My local library does not yet have that service, unfortunately.
    Lobby for it!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I love my Kindle! The books I don't want to pay for are usually available to 'borrow' for free and I search for free books all the time. I probably have 15 books loaded right now waiting for me...the only problem with that is when I get around to reading them I've forgotten what they're about!

Amazon has a list of top 100 free. I believe it is updated weekly. There are also a number of free or cheap book groups on Facebook. The quality varies widely. I download maybe 10 books a week, rarely paying over $3, pretty much only by an author I have read previously.
    The delete key is your friend
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think it depends on how picky (I don't think that's the best word for it) you are about what you read. My dad reads a TON and has over 150 books on his cloud (and has probably read all of them since he doesn't "stock up" more than 2-3 books ahead of time). He told me he doesn't think he's ever paid more than $5 for a book. However, he doesn't read many top new releases. He reads a lot of good-but-not-front-page authors or popular books that are not new so the prices are lower.

I, on the other hand, got my Kindle 2 months ago and already paid $10 for one book and am looking at another book for $25. The first is a very popular book that nearly every business person reads, and the second is a specialized text book type book for my industry. So I'm willing to pay the price to get those specific books.

Do consider that if you have multiple people on the same cloud, you all have access to the same books. So even though I'm an adult, I registered by Kindle under my dad's account (my mom and my sister did the same thing) so now I have access to all 150 books that my dad has.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Amazon has a list of top 100 free. I believe it is updated weekly. There are also a number of free or cheap book groups on Facebook. The quality varies widely. I download maybe 10 books a week, rarely paying over $3, pretty much only by an author I have read previously.
    The delete key is your friend
    Boy you have to go through a lot of stinkers when you download free books....

4 members found this post helpful.

^Oh, boy, do you! I have downloaded some HORRIBLE books! I can't even believe some people read them all the way through, let alone give them reviews! I've also found some REALLY good ones, that I love.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Oh me too! I tried to give a review (twice) for one particular train wreck, but for some reason my dire warning to others not to waste their time wasn't uploaded/approved or whatever by amazon.

No bad language or anything either

The free book list is updated hourly on amazon.uk. Doesn't change a whole lot though, in that timeframe.
    Im a big fan of the free list, I've read some great books on there I wouldn't have picked up as hard copy.

Yes, I agree. The price of books through Kindle can be outrageous.
    Sheilah

I agree. Once the novelty wore off (and my amazon bill was shockingly high) I now download from the local library. The other thing I do before I go on a trip is to download the free sample chapters for 5 or 6 books I am interested in and then decide if I'm really willing to pay the $12.95 cost....
    Arabian Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the printing of the book is probably the cheapest part though. I would not at all be surprised to hear most are done in China, not costing but a buck for hardcover...

I know of one instance where people had purchased books by George Orwell. Unfortunately Amazon didn't have the rights to publish them on Kindle. The books did go poof but the purchase price was credited back to the purchasers.

1984 anyone?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Book companies, movie companies, and the music industry need to realize that as long as they continue to try to charge the same for digital as hard copy they will just have more people on the pirating sites. Now there will always be the ones that will just search for free stuff, but there are tons of people that would buy the digital if they were reasonably priced.

As for the free books, god there are so many horrible ones to wade through!

And with the hard copy that is close to or the same price as the digital I can lend it as much as I want and even sell it if I want.

1 members found this post helpful.

And it's kind of an industry standard, I guess. Baen books used to have a great e-catalog with most of their older books at $6.00 apiece. As of December, their books are now available to through other vendors. But to do that, they had to raise their on site prices. At least they passed some of the profit on, they increased author royalties by 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I know of one instance where people had purchased books by George Orwell. Unfortunately Amazon didn't have the rights to publish them on Kindle. The books did go poof but the purchase price was credited back to the purchasers.

1984 anyone?
    I am sure the case I mentioned had something to do with the refund.

but yes, that is not an easy feeling that your purchase can disappear over night!

Not sure how music downloads work these days, but a few years ago they had restrictions on how many devices you could sync them to...and it was only 3 times or so, if I recall it right...the few songs I did buy I burned on CD right away, to have a hardcopy for later (good thing, too, since I killed about 4 computers since!)