The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have experience with Ultium?

My horse is a hard keeper but also a hot-headed TB type and is losing his mind on Strategy right now. I've had him on low starch/low sugar feeds before and he's done great, just never Purina's Ultium. I've heard from one person who told me their experience with it is superb, just wanted to pick a few more brains. TIA!!

It is a hi powered fuel and I don't feed my OTTB's it...FWIW

I added to the feed of both my young TBs and their condition has improved considerably over three weeks. They are both Dead Heads though. They are the two most laid-back baby TBs on the planet.

I fed it to mySillySaddlebred once. Never Again.

It's pretty hit or miss. It's supposed to add weight while not adding energy. It definitely adds weight. However my TB, not terribly spooky, went absolutely bat shit crazy on it, to the point that I was wondering if his vision was deteriorating. I've head similar stories from other people, but I have heard of a few stories of horses who were fine on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone! Seems like a hit or miss type deal (I mean no feed is going to be wonderful for all). I'm going to try it out probably and see if he goes even crazier (that could be scary) or if he calms down some. I am also trying to decrease his grain intake as he is on quite a bit right now. Any other low starch/low sugar options you have found to work more for the hot heads?

I have a WB and an OTTB on it; they both do great, and look terrific. Super quiet, level headed, easy to work with. OTOH, I had my WB on Senior and he was a nut.

Friend of mine had their semi-hot OTTB on it and it worked great. He was a hard keeper and the Ultium along with a weight supplement had him looking fantastic.

My trainer's insane OTTB was also on it, didn't calm him down any, but didn't make him hotter either. Definitely a hit or miss thing.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

we use it on several of our horses, but none full TB. We have been pretty happy with it, and I con't say that i've noticed they are and different on it temperament wise...

I think it makes them hot even though it isn't supposed to. I prefer either TC Senior (high fat/protein but very low sugar) or Legends Peformance Pelleted (high fat/protein low sugar) for my barn full of Ottb's. I know some people swear but the Ultium but my experience wasn't good.

Depending where you are, we have had very good luck with the Nutrena High Fat Performance Pellet.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default Ultium

I have used it for several horses. Worked well.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Ultium didn't increase my old TB's energy level, which was always very high, and absolutely helped him put on weight. I've fed it with success to a couple of different horses, but I prefer Triple Crown Senior or Complete- I don't really like Purina, and feel Triple Crown has a better product line in general. The TC Senior has low NSC values and works really well for my big, prone to skinniness TB (and my 4 year old fatty-pants WB). Alfalfa or mixed alfalfa hay is also great for weight.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I switched from Ultium to Triple Crown low starch mixed with a little extra beet pulp. Petey has actually put on weight, but I think it's mainly due to the fact that my neighbor sold his "playmate", so he doesn't run the fence as much.

Purina claims Ultium is low starch/sugar, but it still has molasses in it. TC low starch doesn't. Nor does it have alfalfa (and Ultium does), which I think makes some horses hot, but that's just my opinion.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

There is nothing particularly "hot" or "special" about Ultium--it just has a lot more fat than most typical "grain" products. I like it for harder keepers and it does put a nice shine on them. I am basically mixing my own right now with a combination of a 12% pellet and Amplify for the monster gelding I have on stall rest who was going bonkers on 6 pounds of grain a day. He's still somewhat bonkers on four pounds of my "blend" but less so, and has gained some much needed weight without wigging out entirely. Of course I credit the 30-35 pounds of hay he's getting daily with that.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Depending where you are, we have had very good luck with the Nutrena High Fat Performance Pellet.
    This. I fed the Ultium and my mare did well on it, but switched to The Nutrena when it became available. She prefers eating the Nutrena, but she is a very picky eater. But she was not hot on the Ultium and she gained weight on it.

Default If you have the option...

Switch to Blue Seal.

We had a very hard keeping TB (Russian Roulette) who Sharon White competed through CIC**. Before we sent him up there we had a really hard time keeping weight on him. Sharon feeds Blue Seal LS and he did great on it. In fact he did so well on it they put him on the bag ;-)

We made the switch at our farm from Purina to Blue Seal feeds about 6 months ago and are very pleased. The horses were doing well on Purina but it is so expensive. All our horses are still doing great and it is costing us noticeably less money per month (we have some very hard keeping broodmares).

We have a TB/Welsh pony cross that is a hard keeper. Then, due to high doses of banamine he received during a tooth extraction this winter, he developed ulcers (did not have him scoped, but his behavior screamed ulcers).

He has a natural "spook" and definitely channels his TB side most days but I desperately needed to get his weight up and get him on a better digestive program. I'd used Ultium and UGard before in an ulcer-prone horse (OTTB) and they worked wonders.

After a week of Gastrogard, I switched him to Ultium (he gets about 2.5 lbs per day, which is less than the textured 10/10 feed he'd been on before), UGard, and soaked alfalfa cubes at bedcheck. His personality is still the same (not hotter) and he looks gorgeous! He was body clipped last week and is a buckskin...so not usually a great color right after clipping. However, he just glows, with a very golden dappled coat and a nice round outline! Much happier pony!

I chose Ultium for this pony after comparing calories, starch, fiber, fat, etc, of several different brands of feed. Ultium was the best balance of a palatable feed that was high fiber and fat, low starch, and lower protein. I also love Triple Crown products but they just didn't have the same balance--the low starch feeds didn't cater to hard keepers and the closest feed to the Ultium--TC Complete or Senior (can't remember which)--had lower fat. However, I love TC Lite for our other, easy keeper TB/Welsh cross.

I think the biggest consideration with Ultium is not feeding too much. It carries more caloric punch per pound.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

I've had good luck with the Ultium for my TB's. For my paint? Made him a bit hotter than he needed to be.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Are you able to get Poulin products in your area? If so, check out FibreMax...14% fat, 11% protein, very low NSC's (nutritional rocket fuel)...all in all, a very high fat, low energy grain.

I switched from Ultium to Triple Crown Senior because my horses clean it up better. Someone pointed out its high fat and protein, also it is very high fiber.

Protein 14% Fat 10% Fiber 17%