The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I think dressing nicely is a sign of respect. But, as it was explained to me, wearing your "Sunday Best" means literally that, you wear the best outfit you possess/can afford. If nothing else, clean and serviceable. It's not supposed to mean the best that money can buy so that you can show off, just the best you can do.
    I understand the respect aspect as far as behaviour. I am really trying to understand how the way you dress has anything to do with respect for God or Jesus. The best I possess are jeans (clean and not ragged) and T shirts. There are some people who would take that as a sign of disrespect.
    I was just really surprised at the number of people who mentioned this as something they do not like about church. For me, it is completely the opposite. I don't want others to look down on me (and we all know there are "those" people) because my way of dress does not measure up to their standards.
    As I said, it doesn't matter because I do not attend church anyway. For me, the bigger obstacle is services in the morning - early at that!

Funny thing about dressing up. I embraced the Quaker testimony for simplicity so strongly that I do not dress up anymore period. I wear simple clothes for everything; so the dress you'll find wearing in Meeting is the dress you'll find me wearing to work, to the movies, to walk my dog, etc. Pretty much my only other attire is riding breeches. And I wear a covering. For me there was no day-of-church. As corny as it sounds, worship became something I tried to live every day. But that's a Quaker thing -making an act every day instead of special. Which is why, for instance, we won't "swear to tell the truth" in court.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I see a difference between 'dressing nicely' and 'dressing up'. The people that would look down on you for not having 'fancy' clothes are in the wrong.
    Quarry Rat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    I am a lifelong atheist. I considered going to church this morning.

But only because I want more reasons to wear my derby/church hat that I bought for a fundraiser last year
    More or less agnostic, and Jewish, here.

This reminds me of how I used to go to the midnight Christmas service at the big UU church in San Diego... not because I really believed any of it, but because the choir was unbelievably talented and riveting even to a non-believer. (Sadly, much of the choir lost their lives to AIDS....)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    I understand the respect aspect as far as behaviour. I am really trying to understand how the way you dress has anything to do with respect for God or Jesus. The best I possess are jeans (clean and not ragged) and T shirts. There are some people who would take that as a sign of disrespect.
    I know I'm going to sound judgey, but I'm mostly just flabbergasted...How in the world can someone live without at least 1 nice shirt (button down, sweater, polo...anything non-Tee) and a pair of dress slacks or khakis? What happens at funerals? Weddings? Any sort of special event that calls for a bit more formal dress.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Does it actually say we're supposed to go to church? Spend time in a certain building, doing certain things?
    The Bible says to not forsake gathering ourselves together.

And I think that's a good point--WE are the church. Not the building. The original Church met in each other's homes.

I love what ezduzit wrote about the special feeling of being at the barn on Sunday mornings.

Makes perfect sense to me, seeing as how the One whom people go to church to worship was born in a stable! One Christmas Eve when I went riding and then had to leave to go to church and dinner with family I didn't much want to be with that night, I put Blaze in his stall and stayed in there awhile visiting with him, not wanting to leave. He was eating his hay, and I squatted down to pet him and found myself listening to his munching and to all the stable sounds. And I realized that those are the sounds of Christmas Eve. I have always thought bells, organ music, etc. And they are ... but how much more so are the quiet peaceful comforting sounds of all creatures in a stable.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Wellspotted, my church used to literally be an old barn. So, so lucky to have had that experience...quaint little white barn that was converted into a chapel.

When we outgrew the building, though, we moved into al old bar/pool hall, so maybe it's just us

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As I said, I respect people's different opinions and interpretations. But I also feel that some things in the Bible are black and white, solid, and other things are a little more grey, open to different meanings. I personaly think that going to church is one of the black and white things. If you interpret that differently, cool, that's your decision. Now, if you're sick, or tired, or out of town, or whatever, I don't think it's a big deal if you don't make it every single week. I just disagree with the absolute "I will not go to church ever because I don't feel like it" mentality.
    I do not know where in the Bible it says "go to church." The church, after all, is people, not a building.
    OK, if a building with columns and a steeple is where the people gather, then gather there by all means, but it could as easily be someone's home, back yard, barn, a restaurant ...

I mean, if you're going to talk Bible, then talk about where it says you have to go to church.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post

And I think that's a good point--WE are the church. Not the building. The original Church met in each other's homes.
    I do not know where in the Bible it says "go to church." The church, after all, is people, not a building.
    OK, if a building with columns and a steeple is where the people gather, then gather there by all means, but it could as easily be someone's home, back yard, barn, a restaurant ...

I mean, if you're going to talk Bible, then talk about where it says you have to go to church.
    Wellspotted, my church used to literally be an old barn. So, so lucky to have had that experience...quaint little white barn that was converted into a chapel.

When we outgrew the building, though, we moved into al old bar/pool hall, so maybe it's just us
    See above what I said about the old barn...

We're arguing the same point here. When I said the Bible tells us to go to church, I did not say "The Bible says we are to meet in a building with columns and a steeple." I meant it tells us to meet together regularly. My church family chooses to meet in a building, so I choose to meet regularly with them; I cannot help where that building is, or what it looks like, or the fact that thousands of years ago, they met in homes.

We're arguing the same point here. When I said the Bible tells us to go to church, I did not say "The Bible says we are to meet in a building with columns and a steeple." I meant it tells us to meet together regularly. My church family chooses to meet in a building, so I choose to meet regularly with them; I cannot help where that building is, or what it looks like, or the fact that thousands of years ago, they met in homes.

In response to your request for sticking to what the Bible says:

Hebrews 10:25
    And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    it souinds to me like you just need another church. Good luck with the music though. We that prefer the hymns are being left in the dust.
    This was one of my biggest complaints, when we were still going to church. I love the old hymns.

I was raised a Southern Baptist (in New Hampshire, no less.) Very strict, very conservative. But as time went on in my adulthood, I saw more and more hatred, exclusion (and child abuse) going on in church and began to feel uncomfortable with it. I still have faith, but I am reluctant to go to church. The last church we were attending, when my husband lost his job and we were struggling financially, one of the elder deacon type women came to visit me at home and told me I had to "get rid of" all my horses. I was teaching lessons and boarding to help make ends meet. That was enough of that church. I don't like the hate radiating off of so many of the places we visit. The "holier than thou" attitude. The looks we get because we're not there every weekend (hard to go to church when you're competing on a Sunday.) I would love to find a place where we are welcome, where they preach love instead of hate, where it's okay if you can't be there every time the building is open, where they sing real hymns, where nobody cares if you don't wear fancy clothes. It probably won't be Southern Baptist, maybe not even Baptist. But it's so hard to even visit without feeling unwelcome. I hate the judgemental attitude. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Just had to say , I misread Dunkard Brethren as Drunkard Brethren and thought to myself, hmmm..they must have interesting Sundays!
    I read it that way too, but figured maybe it had something to do with AA.

LOL! It's particularly funny when you think of how conservative they are. Dunkards are so-called because of the practice of immersion baptism.

4corners, you are going to run into this wherever you go. The secret is to accept the imperfectness of humans. Then they stop disappointing you as you realize we're all on the same journey. You know you're not going to find a church where none of these issues occur.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

In response to your request for sticking to what the Bible says:

Hebrews 10:25
    And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
    Point taken, talkofthetown.

One barn I visited used to hold worship services on occasional Sunday mornings. Outdoors, with cats in laps and horses in nearby pastures, some music, some sharing (what I heard of the services reminded me of what I have read of Quaker meetings), and then the Biblically-based common meal. I would love to visit such a service again sometimes.