The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Going/not going to church

I have so much angst about not going to church. I have a deep and abiding faith, a love for Jesus and our beautiful earth; all the lovely plants and animals on it.

What I don't understand is going to church and how that is a holy thing to do; or necessary.

Here it is: Easter Sunday morning. I had planned to go; said I would go. But, I can't. To me it's nothing more than mindless recitation of words on the teleprompter....don't get me started on teleprompters in church. I hate the interruption in the worship to shake hands and say good morning to people. Isn't that what everyone did in the back BEFORE the service started? I hate the way the music has changed. I hate that nobody bothers to dress up. I hate that in order to be a *good* Christian, I am expected to get up at a certain time, get to a certain place and follow somebody else's idea of what worship is. How do they know that their way is the *right* way to worship.

God is in my heart. From my favorite hymn "...in the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere..."

Am I totally weird and off base here?

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I have so much angst about not going to church. I have a deep and abiding faith, a love for Jesus and our beautiful earth; all the lovely plants and animals on it.

What I don't understand is going to church and how that is a holy thing to do; or necessary.

Here it is: Easter Sunday morning. I had planned to go; said I would go. But, I can't. To me it's nothing more than mindless recitation of words on the teleprompter....don't get me started on teleprompters in church. I hate the interruption in the worship to shake hands and say good morning to people. Isn't that what everyone did in the back BEFORE the service started? I hate the way the music has changed. I hate that nobody bothers to dress up. I hate that in order to be a *good* Christian, I am expected to get up at a certain time, get to a certain place and follow somebody else's idea of what worship is. How do they know that their way is the *right* way to worship.

God is in my heart. From my favorite hymn "...in the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere..."

Am I totally weird and off base here?
    Nope. I'd say your faith is the real deal--spirituality, tapped into that which is divine in every moment, and not dependent on external validation.

Go take a nice walk or ride out in Nature and don't give it a second thought!

Half those people are there "to be seen," the other half probably to gather gossip!

Happy Easter!

13 members found this post helpful.

You're following your own path and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people believe, some don't. Some find comfort in the familiar rituals of the church, some just find them irritating. Something we all should bear in mind is this quote from The Dali Lama

“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
    Dalai Lama XIV

Which can be turned around just as easily to mean, just because you're not on their road, doesn't mean you're lost.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

11 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure you know that God is immanent and omnipresent.

You don't need to go to that church .

6 members found this post helpful.

I am not going and I'm about the biggest newest Jesus loving born again Christian you may know

A good church is worth its weight in gold. I go, when I go, to fellowship and pitch in where.needed. Church is not meant to be the only time you "act good", dress up and put on a showy grandstand so everyone can see how religious you are . God isn't real fond of that either.

Church should teach you the Word and bring you together with other Christians who support, encourage you but also can hold you accountable.

Have a good Resurrection Day, God bless.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

7 members found this post helpful.

I was raised fundamentalist Christian and now want nothing to do with organized religion. I do not consider myself a Christian because I do not believe Christians have a lock on salvation just because of Christ. That is not to say I am not spiritual or do not treat others properly. But, many times in this world if there is hatred, I see it perpetuated by someone's misguided thought of what God is and should be, so I choose to stay away. My own mother is convinced I am going to hell, but that is her issue, not mine.

I believe you can worship in the situation of your choice. As long as you are connecting with your higher power, who is to judge you? For me, I have more appreciation for God when I am out in the woods on horseback than any religious experience I've had in recent years. Might sound strange, but I find it spiritually uplifting when I am with one of our pigs who is giving birth because I realize how amazing life is.

Find what works for you. If you desire the church experience, find a small one without the pop culture and teleprompters- they must still exist somewhere!

14 members found this post helpful.

it souinds to me like you just need another church. Good luck with the music though. We that prefer the hymns are being left in the dust.
    Another killer of threads

I concur -it seems you need another church or church community. You want to go to church (it seems this way from the OP), you just don't want to go to that church. If you didn't want to go to church it wouldn't be chewing on you like this. So go find a community.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe in worshipping our Lord in my own way. I am quite capable of reading the bible on my own, I don't need someone quoting scripture at me. My biggest issue with organized religion is that it always seems to come down to money. They are constantly wanting me to tithe more of my earnings. I know they need the money to keep the church in good condition, but I don't earn enough to be comfortable giving it away to the church. I know I believe in God and I will worship on my own.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Larksmom, a good church is hard to find. I am not quite sure how you go about "church shopping" but I did it recently and am still not 100% about my choice. I do like the community feeling and learning more about the Bible. My church shopping consisted of asking friends, going to some church funtions like spaghetti dinners and then showing up on Sunday morning. The first church was so uncomfortable that I left half way through. The one I chose has been welcoming and seems to do a lot in the community.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I believe totally in what you are saying. I wish I could drop the expectation that I have that I should WANT to go to church. I have shopped around and haven't found anything that comes to close to reverent, spiritual worship. My biggest criticism of churches is that they aren't religious enough. I guess they've all morphed to appeal to our pop society.

It's more like church has left ME, rather than me leaving the church.

DH goes every Sunday, son in law is a Deacon in the Catholic church, DD is also active...NONE OF THEM ARE JUDGEMENTAL OF ME. All accept me for who I am and don't pressure me to be anything else. This angst comes from inside me...that I'm not living up to some notion of how I should act.

My idea of a perfect Sunday morning is going to the barn and cleaning stalls. And while I do this almost every day, there's something reverent about Sunday mornings in the barn. THAT's where I want to be.

Edited to add: I think I do want to go to church. But, more than that I want to WANT TO GO, not go out of some sense of duty. I'm not good with doing things I don't want to do just because that's how it's done.

If you’re looking for permission not to go to church today here it is, as many have said, don’t go. There are lots of other churches for a good reason; perhaps you have grown beyond the one where you currently attend.
    Only you can decide what will bring you closer to Jesus. Though many people go to church for many different reasons, some with a lot of spiritual integrity, some with seemingly very little, to get too caught up in arguments about the church and the people who go there really defeats to the whole point of attending worship. It is a spiritual red herring.
    Attending worship is about gratitude, plain and simple. It is about coming together with other grateful people the flawed and broken, the duplicitous and dumb and acknowledging that as imperfect as they all are, and as far short as it all seems to fall some times, God is worthy of our worship and praise exactly because God is greater than all our limitations; and exactly because we have come to know that in our own lives or are praying, hoping to know that very soon.
    In all honesty—and this is CLOTH Off Topic Day so all honesty is expected — it does not take a whole lot of reliance on Jesus to find God on the back of my horse or in the early fall dawn-dark while unloading at a remote hunt fixture. It does take a whole big lot of prayer and willingness to let Jesus draw me closer to him so that I can find him in the shambles of humanity that is often church.
    Jesus retreated to the wilderness only so that he could draw closer to his Father so that he could live a deeper life of love to those who fell so very far short of expectation.
    Christ is risen!
    hound

Wow, hounds. THAT was beautiful.

When I had my heart problems a few years ago, I had less than a 50/50 chance of surviving the infection. I put myself in God's hands and accepted that I might not survive. He saw fit to mend my wound and send me back in the ring to fight some more! I have always had a deep faith but since that episode it's like He and I have this special thing going on that doesn't need anybody or anything else.

I agree that church is just big business now and the whole morphing of services is to attract *customers*. That's such a huge turnoff for me. I can't be about faith or religion anymore if it's about money.

I am a lifelong atheist. I considered going to church this morning.

But only because I want more reasons to wear my derby/church hat that I bought for a fundraiser last year
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

9 members found this post helpful.

OP you probably want to go to church because you are directed to in the Bible, however the Church of the Bible and the Church of today are very different. The Church of the Bible is fellowship within your community. So if you get together with friends and relatives and talk about what easter means to the Christian religion, you are still following Gods word and should feel good about it.
    Now I have to go put on my church clothes, to continue testing out my new Church
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Schune, you wouldn't be the first person to go to church to show off some new clothes! Doubt you'll be the last!

Maybe just to a restaurant brunch, wear the hat and let everyone THINK you went to church.

3 members found this post helpful.

Does it actually say we're supposed to go to church? Spend time in a certain building, doing certain things?

Ezsuzit,
    It is a great grace and blessing that you have known. Thank you for sharing it. Sounds like you are struggling to grow into a faith that was shaped by a very real experience of God’s love and grace. You have a great challenge before you. For today, the question of how you will draw closer to Jesus in gratitude and love remains. For the longer term, perhaps another church would better nurture and support you? Perhaps you are being called to ask Jesus to draw you closer so that you can stay where you are in church and be a witness to a deeper fuller faith and reliance on our risen Lord? Perhaps there is something else Jesus has in mind for you? Remember two things: 1) the graces and blessings, healing and wholeness we receive from God are never for us alone, they are to build up and nurture the Body of Christ, the Church, God’s hurting, struggling people; and 2) God wants only for us what we most deeply desire for ourselves—our calling is where our deepest joy meets the world’s deepest need. Where is God calling you in the midst of this?

hound

4 members found this post helpful.

OP you probably want to go to church because you are directed to in the Bible, however the Church of the Bible and the Church of today are very different. The Church of the Bible is fellowship within your community. So if you get together with friends and relatives and talk about what easter means to the Christian religion, you are still following Gods word and should feel good about it.
    Now I have to go put on my church clothes, to continue testing out my new Church
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

OP I feel your pain. I left a great church when I moved to CO. It was just a little country church, we baptized in the river, but it was great. I too am disappointed in churches where people wear jeans and sing the 7-11 songs. Seven lines, eleven times over. I love the hymns, the doxology, the altar call. But like everybody else has said, there are so many churches because there are so many different tastes. I think to be spiritual it is more important to know why today is important.

We don't go to Easter service because the two local churches band together and do a sunrise service only. My husband has to be on the dairy early every day. He would miss the kids opening their baskets and hunting eggs if I made everybody go to a sunrise service. I think the time spent as a family is just as important as the time spent worshipping.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

2 members found this post helpful.