The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh my Gah -my first extended trot from Fella!

My trainer has been riding him once a week just to reinforce "this is your ass, use it" and I've noticed a real difference. First of all my half-assed cues actually mean something to him (I found I couldn't ride an unmade horse effectively), he's forward, and he's starting to lift his back. I mean I'm having real episodes of that sensation of the front end of your horse disappearing.

Cherry on top -yesterday I was working the egg exercise from Ballou's 101 Dressage Exercises. This is the one where you ride a huge oval (whole ring) and you extend the trot on the long sides and collect it up on the short ends. Of course we're not talking haute ecole collection, but I was aiming for at least a different type of trot. Wow, I got extension on the long sides -not a faster, egg-beater churning, actual suspension, air time on the post, and forward.

Before this we had done some pole bending at the trot and I sit the poles, but post the straightaway and I think that helped both of us.

It was so awesome. BTW somebody ran barrels on this horse because the barrels are set up in the ring, and I had left the ring to cool down and then came back into the ring to dismount and as we came out of the chute he was trembling and trotting this short choppy thing with his ears pricked like he was ready to go! It was hilarious. I didn't interfere, I let him trot out.

It was so cool. Now I need to work on making these more intentional and less hit/miss. I'm joining the CCWC this year so we'll be going out at least W/T.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Congrats Paula! I'm a big Fella Fan (and that's really fun to say).. and it's great to hear that he's advancing so well. Don't those moments make you forget about the bad ones?

Keep at it! Can't wait to see pictures of him all dressed up in his big boy clothes!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think extended trot is about as close to flying as we humans will ever get. Enjoy it!

In his big boy clothes! I love it! I knew while we struggled that I needed to keep my eye on the prize, and had faith that eventually something cool would happen. Still, I think flew home yesterday! And, Snbess, I agree with you; the air time between strides is ridiculous and the world is whipping by (well -you know).

Walking circles around the poles, and then actually trotting the pole bending pattern probably set us up nicely for this first extended trot. For me at least, the trot for weaving through the poles is very different from the trot on the straightaway.

BTW I just sent in my CCWC (Carroll County Western Circuit) membership and will show with my barn. The 14th is the first show and I put in for Adult W/T class; barrels, plug, figure 8, poles, and versatility.

Woohoo!
    Paula

I love mixing things up with my guy. I sat up barrels with my new guy when he was just learning leg doesn't always just mean go. Had him turning barrels with just my leg and seat in walk and trot. Then worked bend around them. They are a good tool just like poles and jumping IMO. Great to take their mind off the norm.

That said I took my retired guy to a running saddle club show lol. He is slow but it was so much fun. We ran poles, and he actually gave me a flying change between each pole which is pretty much 2tempis, ok so they weren't all that as a grand prix horse but I couldn't hardly get a single change on the flat from him otherwise lol. Then we ran the cloverleaf and he also gave me the leads easily and nice bend around the barrels. So much fun. It was funny because we are cantering of course when all the other horses are balls to the walls and we are bending and nicely on the bit lol while others are, well, lower level barrel racers. So we were letting our lower level dressage selves shine lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

That's exactly my dastardly plan. I'm going to start W/T, but if I go to speed I don't intend to win because I'll be using the poles and the barrels to improve bending, to introduce collection, etc. at canter.

Indeed; Let your lower level dressage self shine!
    Paula