The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you camp?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tent

50 51.55%
  • Pop-up/Tent Trailer

2 2.06%
  • Bumper-pull Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Fifth Wheel Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Mini-home

0 0%
  • Motor home

5 5.15%
  • I don't camp.

26 26.80%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Camping (to me) = a hotel where you can't accumulate rewards points.
    People either love me or they hate me. Or they think I'm ok.

Tent all the way. Usually after a nice long hike in with a heavy backpack. Admittedly, I don't always sleep very well when backpacking and I have a two night maximum (must shower routinely!) but there is something nice and primal about being an unsafe distance away from everything.

Although in Golden Gate park, I really want to try the yurts sometime! Those look like fun.

I like cabins. I can take a tent, but I need a flush toilet somewhere.

I do usually go canoeing (no, seriously, not a euphemism) once a year with a group of friends, and that's roughing it. But I like this one campsite that has a stump with a toilet seat set in it. Really, I can take anything but having to use the wilderness as a latrine.

Another group of friends and I used to rent a cabin in Allegany every year for a week, which was great--there was a fridge for the beer and a bathhouse in a short walk. Though the last time we went, a few years ago before we were all getting married, we rented an actual really nice house, and it was only "camping" in that we played beer pong and flip cup on the porch.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

Tent or better yet a swag. Swag being an aussi sleeping bag complete with foam matteress all in canvas exterior. You can get ones with built in mosquito net too. So very comfy and cozy under the stars.

Done lots of tenting over the years and back packing. Everything from in the snow to boiling hot and everything in between. Have been known to sleep in my toque and a few layers of clothing. lol All good fun and memories.

P.

To me true camping involves a tent or sleeping under the stars. I must admit though when I opened this thread I secretly hoped camping was code for something else.. Like canoeing lol

We like to rent cabins, too. I like them isolated, not next to another one.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I really needed to be able to vote twice! We own a self contained bumper pull camping trailer, that we use to camp as a family. Once or twice a year, maybe. I tent camp 6 or 7 times a year at competitions. We have a group of friends who do the same thing, we all camp together and have a blast!

I go on about 12-14 3 day to 10 day camping trips with my weekender trailer every season from Oct thru April and I certainly consider it camping. We ride everyday, sit around the campfire, hike in the woods as well, gather wood, etc

We like to camp in our 40' motor home!! The only regret is that we cannot fit into some of the State Parks.............but we took a two week trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and had a wonderful time
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

DH and I love camping. We always tent it. We generally go about 5 times a year and would love to go more often. We almost always take both our dogs with us. This adds an extra layer of trouble, but it's worth it - they really love to hike and explore and climb with us.

Plus, there was that one time in the Shawnee National Forest when we heard the big cat in the woods next to our campsite. I was really glad to have the dog with us then - not that he could have protected us, but he certainly knew it was there long before we heard it yowrl!

I'll admit that as I get older, showers and real restroom facilities are becoming more of a "must have" than they were when we were younger.