The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you camp?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tent

50 51.55%
  • Pop-up/Tent Trailer

2 2.06%
  • Bumper-pull Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Fifth Wheel Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Mini-home

0 0%
  • Motor home

5 5.15%
  • I don't camp.

26 26.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We haven't had any troubles with traps-usually the trap lines are all picked up for the season by the time we're out there.

We camp in our motorhome, but it's a small one so we can get it into the place we like to go, which is in the middle of nowhere. No cell service, no one around, get your own trees, buck them up for firewood, fish in the river nearby (catch and release only), say hello to the bears that inevitably find their way in to our camp at least once a season.
    We didn't even have a generator before, but for some reason our batteries are not holding a charge anymore, so we have a small generator just in case. The dogs love it! I can't wait to go!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 29' bumper pull camper. I love it. To me, camping is about good times, family, starry nights, quiet times, and a good campfire. I am in a seasonal campsite, and have been for the last 18 years. I try to spend most of the day outside, but I do love having the option of escaping heat/cold/wet weather in a more secure environment. A mid afternoon nap is much more pleasant in my camper than in a tent that will induce swamp ass conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    The last time I camped in a tent, I woke up with a frog on my cheek and about 3" of water in the tent when it was around 30 degrees. Needless to say I don't camp in tents anymore. and in nature, however
    I'm just dying laughing here. Thats the funniest thing ive heard in a long week !
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

I have a cap on my truck and built in a big platform for mattress with storage underneath and on the other side, a tall wide shelf with room to stack plastic containers underneath. Porta-Potti in dressing room of trailer. Cooking and water heating done on coleman type stove outside. The cap is insulated and is wired for 12v accessories so i can run a fan or light. Slider windows, so open them up and put the fan on and voila, cool place to sleep.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

We use a tent (2 really) but we take a bunch of crap with us, sleeping bags, pots/pans, food/drink/foil/dishwashing soap, chairs, firewood, ground tarp, air mattresses, air pump, radio, drying racks for 5000 towels (need to just get rope & use less space), hatchet, forks for marshmallows, towels, clothes, boil coffeepot for DH, fishing rods, canopy, etc. Bathhouse required-I can pee outside but I dont wana do anymore than that, showers once a day required. Large camping spots a plus cause I hate having people breathing my air. Must figure out where to camp this summer. DS & I usually go alone now, DH & DDs usually say no, DH NEEDS his ac. Wimp.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I don't camp because I live in walking distance to woods/wildlife/streams/river.
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

I voted for a bumper pull trailer but ours isn't really an RV. It's a tiny teardrop that is equipped with a bed and then a kitchen in the back nothing else. It was custom made to go off road so we're not exactly pulling into the nearest campsite-that trailer goes wherever it (and the FJ) can go.

I've also done backpacking (which I love!) and tent camping.

Our property is bordered on two sides by Wilderness but we still want more! There's a lot to see out there!

I'm in the non camping group. My idea of "roughing it" is the Waldorf Astoria without room service.

I did try camping once. Sorry, I really like my HOT morning shower, my feather pillows, my bed, no bugs and no hard ground.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Absolutely every kid should camp in a tent - even if it is only in the back yard - and learn to do everything to survive....otherwise they are deprived!

Me - I'm past that - I need a gourmet meal, wine and a shower these days.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have two extremes when I camp. If I'm backpacking, it's my solo tarptent (under 2 lbs) and I carry everything I need for days in the forest on my back. Very empowering. Love it.

When we take the horses trail riding, we "camp" in our living quarters with a slide out, stove, sink, fridge, shower, toilet, etc.... That is fun too and not having to deal with tents and work hard to care for our own needs gives us more time to spend with the horses.

Thanks to this thread I spent a good part of the day looking for a pickup camper.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a tiny truck camper, so I voted pup-up as that was the closest thing. I love it because I can use it with, or without, the horse trailer (I have a bumper pull) and it takes 2 minutes to set-up or take down. I did the progression - tents, tent trailer or horse trailer (once horses were out and manure picked up!), now truck camper. Still don't have a built-in bathroom but I really do enjoy a warm (I have a tiny propane heater), dry place to eat (at a table!) and sleep, real sheets and pillows, and not having to deal with ice to keep food cold (tiny fridge/freezer runs on propane too).

All my camping involves my horse,either competing or for pleasure. I started out camping in a tent with a Porta-potty in the bumbler pull. Lack of privacy is the main issue, camping alongside 60 other people isn't very private. My shower was using a sun shower in a bikini ,I felt like a exhibitionist! I graduated to a gooseneck,the ceiling on my first one was too low and I felt like I was in a coffin. Next gooseneck was gorgeous,but still uninsulated and too cold. Condensation would drip freezing rivulets of water down your face as you were sleeping! I now have a LQ glide out which is very nice, just like a small hotel room. I've used it for 5 years and am trying to sell it. I also have a bumper pull that I'm taking camping this weekend, I'm going to sleep in the horse part w/a tarp and air mattress. The park we are visiting has showers so we will be clean, pet peeve is to not be able to rinse off.
    One issue that no one brought up is safety, I definitely sleep better at night knowing I'm locked in, lots of weirdos us Florida parks as a temporary home in the winter. In the Ocala forest there have been murders,recently a brother/sister tent camping. There are some meth dealers that set up in the forest as well as the homeless living out of vans. If I don't fell safe this weekend I'll keep my LQ. It ain't the 1950s anymore!!

Our new truck is a short-box crew cab - are there campers to fit? Nevr actually seen one.

We sold our old camper, complete with the resident starlings that had found a way into the furnace chimney.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I voted “tent” or often times it was no tent! Just the great outdoors (okay we do not have many bugs in CA ) but sleeping under the stars is always nice, and no hassle with a tent then.

But for the last 4 years I have lived on 90 acres, a mix of redwoods, a river, meadows and mountain – surrounded by state and county parks. I do not really have an urge to camp anymore! I have all of the open space, wild lands, and wild life I need just out my front door.

Was an avid backpacker when I was a teenager, and still enjoy road trips, but do not camp much anymore.

It's a problem for loose dogs here in NW Montana. Traplines are set on public land and the wilderness and in the fall/winter people take a big risk having their dogs "off leash" or not by their side. In very populated areas the trappers keep their traps far off the trails but in less populated areas, like where I live, they can have the traps quite close to houses and trails. Although here, the wolves that they're trying to trap are as much a risk as the traps so any loose dog is in danger.

I'm pretty much done with "real" camping (in a tent, in the wild- to me that's the only true camping). I am too stiff and creaky to sleep on a thin mat under a tent anymore. I enjoyed it, unless it rained or there were too many bugs. Mostly, I think camping is great in that it makes you appreciate "civilization" so much more (running water, hot shower, comfy bed, real toilets...)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

You can also gain that appreciation for running water, hot showers, fresh food and air conditioning by surviving a few hurricanes! Like camping but with all your relatives whose waterfront homes they have evacuated-ask me how I know!