The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you camp?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tent

50 51.55%
  • Pop-up/Tent Trailer

2 2.06%
  • Bumper-pull Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Fifth Wheel Self-contained Trailer

7 7.22%
  • Mini-home

0 0%
  • Motor home

5 5.15%
  • I don't camp.

26 26.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Camping!

How do you camp?

I just made reservations for Golden Gate Canyon State Park in Colorado and have been planning other camping trips with friends and family. We have a nice Jayco pop-up that suits us, though someday we may go with a self-contained trailer.
    Last edited by Sanely Eccentric; Mar. 31, 2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Additional info

"camping" in a vehicle is cheating, might as well check into a motel.

9 members found this post helpful.

Love my living quarters. I have camped. I have done pack trips. Did I mention I love my living quarters?

1 members found this post helpful.

i camp in my hawk gooseneck after i kick the horses out for the night.
    it's quite decadent with my hay and shavings bales turned into tables with the help of tablecloths, and my cushy temperpedic bed rests atop a half dozen bales as well.
    the whole thing is draped with mosquito netting for a very arabian nights feel,lol.

I have a weekender - sink, stove, fridge, hot water, cowboy shower, portapotty, awning. LOVE it! And yes, it is still camping.

The last time I camped in a tent, I woke up with a frog on my cheek and about 3" of water in the tent when it was around 30 degrees. Needless to say I don't camp in tents anymore.

I now define camping as any hotel less than 3 stars but I would be game to give it a shot in a motor home! I do love being outdoors and in nature, however the frog thing... *shudder*
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I now define camping as any hotel less than 3 stars but I would be game to give it a shot in a motor home! I do love being outdoors and in nature, however the frog thing... *shudder*
    Growing up, my father said camping was staying in a Best Western instead of a Holiday Inn.

I don't camp because I hate the dirty feeling that comes from bug spray, sunscreen, dirt, and sweat. I can do outdoor activities all day, but I need a shower at the end of that day!

4 members found this post helpful.

I so very much miss camping. Neither my husband nor kids can stand it, so I haven't been camping in ages.

My favorite camping means I don't even use a tent. A sleeping bag under mosquito netting draped over a low branch. Another fun way is in the bed of a pickup, mosquito netting draped over sides of bed with heavyweight sinkers on the edges to hold it in place. Gorgeous view of the stars and less uninvited guests.

One of my brothers used to have an old school bus he gutted and redid as a camper. It was pretty awesome.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We have had a little of everything....starting with a tent (misery!), then a pop up, then a towable trailer, then a 32' Class C.

We loved them all for different reasons....BUT I found myself really missing the camping "experience" when in our beautiful Class C.

And now our kids have grown up....so we had decisions to make...

We decided to go back to a Pop-up camper (high wall). This time, we got all the upgrades:

Large fridge/freezer
    flat screen tv/cable/wi-fi
    heated beds
    full bathroom and shower
    sleeps 6 (if we need it)
    has outdoor kitchen (an upgrade we did after-market)

I can't wait to take it out again next week!!!

I'm done with backpack camping. Fun when I was younger but the whole sleeping on the ground, dehydrated food, swatting skeeters, stinky body thing just isn't worth it for me anymore. When we do our Yellowstone trip, it will be in a fully equipped RV

In my premarriage days - with a backpack and tent. Backpacked all over Tetons, across Glacier, on the Masai Mara in Kenya (and up Mt. Kenya) - best, best, best way to go. did NOLS (an awesome program which does NOT allow one to use/bring TP, however). I am NOT that militant but agree that it is disgusting to be hiking along and see plumes of TP or very poorly dug cat holes.

Mr. LT however, is NOT a backpacker and has a wall tent, which has been great for hunting camp. We are out in the middle of serious boonies, and the tent is large enough for a small stove. I am not allowed to deal with the stove anymore, ever since I stoked the SHIT out of it and was feeling nice and cozy while the side of the stove glowed orange and the other guys in the tent were melting and gasping for air! In late Nov - early Dec a camper of some type would be nice, but he already has a trailer for hauling the animals out, so I guess we'll contnue with the wall tent.

However you do it though, just being out is awesome. I lived in a tent in a campground for a summer, and was pretty much outside the whole time. it was wonderful. I can make bread and a really good cake over an open camp fire (and over a little whisperlite stove as well!)

I'm one of those that tests the temp guarantee on sleeping bags. Campgrounds are for yuppies. Camping is done on trails like the AT, with no one around for miles.

I lived on an island in Vermont for 4 months in a tent, but with so many people at close range, I wouldn't call it camping.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Camping must be in a tent... or under the stars.

No problem with trailers or RVs... but I don't consider that camping. Call it RVing or whatever else you please. It's basically driving your house out to somewhere else and setting it up there.

3 members found this post helpful.

We *camp* in our motorhome. I've always been outdoorsy so except for sleeping, storing food and refuge from bad weather, we are never IN the motorhome.

And it's really handy for horse shows, which is also called camping. I think tent camping is great for the younger crowd but once you get over 70, the game changes a bit.

Don't be too hard on RVers...they like the same things you do, they just do it differently.

edited to add: diabetes precludes me having bread or grain products or starches like chips. The fridge in the rv is best for all my veggies. No hot dogs or hamburgers or sandwiches or toast for me. Not impossible to do but does complicate things a bit.

I call it glamping.

I couldn't answer the poll. I sleep in the horse part of my bumper pull. Floor is covered with shavings, I scoop the manure out, lay down a tarp, air mattress and sleeping bag. I only horse camp so it works for me.

We do pack trips nearly exclusively, usually at least 10 miles from the trail head. We really get away from it all and sleep under the stars; I usually don't sleep in the tent unless it's raining. As long as I have a book, my music on the MP3, a little food and my wine I'm a happy camper.

Sometimes we camp at the truck and ride out from there but not in a camper, always a tent or in the open.

Occasionally we rent a cabin and that can be an easy luxurious way to go but there's something I just really like about burrowing into the grass with the dogs, listening to the horses graze in the dark, feeling the wind blow and waking up at first light to deer or moose passing through.... love it.

Except now you have to worry about traps and snares getting your dogs and possibly your horses if you go off trail.

Always in a tent. Love it.

I've got a 2 week camping trip coming up...run by the school. 20 people in a few tents for two weeks. Should be...fun?

I admire the adventuresome people who go off the grid and really enjoy nature.

I'm a chicken-sh*t when it comes to stuff like that but I know in my heart that I'm missing out on some great experiences.

Hats off to you!