The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ulcers (((agian)))(sorry)

My horse is ulcery (again).
    I'm talking to my vet on monday but first I wanted to stop here to see if anyone could answer my question.

This winter sucked, weather wise, and the his ulcer signs have reappeared. So.

In the past I have treated him with the cheap Candian Direct Omprozole paste (http://horseprerace.com/stomach-medi...-paste-2.28gr/)
    This paste made huge difference the first time I did the treatment. The second time, about a year later I didn't see much of a change until about 3 weeks in...
    I've done some reading up after reading a recent post about how the omprozole paste needs an acid buffer as well which I believe the above paste lacks.

Feeding paste is my only option because my horse does not like to eat, and paste is the only way to know for sure that he got what he needed. I highly doubt I could get him to eat tums or anytype of pill.

Does this http://www.abler.com/products/abgard#tab_0_div have the acid buffers that gatrogaurd/ulcergard has? (or an acid buffer that "works")

What about the omprozole/ranitidine paste from http://www.myprecisionpharmacy.com/vet/equine.asp?

Thanks!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

My experience is this. I have now treated my horse twice, the first time with Gastroguard/Ulcerguard the second with the canadian stuff (then ultimately with Ulcergard). I wanted to see if the Canadian stuff would work as well. It did not. He was, without question, better after I began treatment, but he still clearly had a problem after a month. I then treated with uguard and he got truly better. Sad as I was, (my vet indulged my attempt to treat with the canadian stuff) it just didn't work. That said there are some real financial realities at play here. IF Uguard is out of your reach financially, which is understandable, maybe try ranitidine. is much less expensive, and can be ground up and syringed. Good luck. I am stashing money now to save for the next episode as I'm sure there will be a need... Ulcers are a drag.

The abgard paste is buffered. I buy the granules and put them in a dose syringe with some oil if the horse won't eat them on their feed. Usually after a couple of days they feel better and I can put it on their feed with a little oil and they eat it up. It is cheaper than the paste.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The abgard paste is buffered. I buy the granules and put them in a dose syringe with some oil if the horse won't eat them on their feed. Usually after a couple of days they feel better and I can put it on their feed with a little oil and they eat it up. It is cheaper than the paste.
    Ditto. Good luck it is so miserable for both owner and horse until resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    My experience is this. I have now treated my horse twice, the first time with Gastroguard/Ulcerguard the second with the canadian stuff (then ultimately with Ulcergard). I wanted to see if the Canadian stuff would work as well. It did not. He was, without question, better after I began treatment, but he still clearly had a problem after a month. I then treated with uguard and he got truly better. Sad as I was, (my vet indulged my attempt to treat with the canadian stuff) it just didn't work. That said there are some real financial realities at play here. IF Uguard is out of your reach financially, which is understandable, maybe try ranitidine. is much less expensive, and can be ground up and syringed. Good luck. I am stashing money now to save for the next episode as I'm sure there will be a need... Ulcers are a drag.
    Having a horse that almost died from an ulcer problem, I need to ask why are you waiting for the next "episode" I competed on said mare with no problems, because I gave her a tube or half a tube every time I went to a lesson, went to xc school or any time we left the property. She also got a half or sometimes a full tube when something stressful happened at the farm. Some ulcer horses need "maintenance" doses and this is what you have to figure out. I use strictly Horse pre race now, but I have used the "pop rocks" all with excellent results.

When she was first diagnosed we did use ulcergard until I found the "pop rocks" and now the tubes from Horse pre race. I guess what I'm saying is some horses need maintenance care for ulcers. You know an ounce of prevention is worth. . . Also, are you reffering to ugard as slang for ulcergard? Because as you probably know ugard is totally different from ulcergard.
    Last edited by Eventer55; Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe I will try the abgard paste next then after a conversation with my vet. Ulcergard/GastroGuard are just out of my price range. If it comes down to it and that's what I have to do, then I'll do it, but if there is another way that is cheaper (which is why I have used the Canadian stuff in the past and had some but not enough success)

Has anyone compared results with the abgard paste and UG/GG?
    Does it say on the abgard website that it is buffered? I looked around and didn't see it...
    -Chelsie

I have found that I can get Ranitidine pills much faster from my vet (so no waiting for the Abler products to get through customs) and we know that ranitidine works.

I have come to the conclusion that some horses, no matter what you do, are perfect candidates for ulcers through no fault of your own. My mare had ulcers last January, we treated with 1 tube daily of the $$$ GastroGard, rescoped, they were healed. Good to go. Her management style is very "anti-ulcers": 24/7 grass pasture in the summer, no grain diet, we didn't trailer, she has a buddy, etc. By the following January (so a few months ago) she was ulcery again. Short of keeping her on ranitidine every day, I think she is just the type of horse to internalize everything, and eventually have ulcers again. She seems like nothing bothers her on the outside, but obviously that is not the case.

I treated her with Ranitidine, 3000 mg twice daily, for about a month, then tapered the dose down and then stopped. It's now going into April, and so far, so good. My management technique for her is to keep her as tummy friendly as possible, and treat with ranitidine when the symptoms come back.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Okay, I have a question for math peeps. When looking at the abgard site the tubes are 6.15g and the normal dosage for a horse is 2.28g, so I think you get a better deal with the abgard as you get approx. 3 doses in one tube? Yes, no??

Also, in order to work the Omeprazole has to be buffered, it would be useless for a company to sell it any other way. There was a huge thread on this last year and I can't find it. . . it may help the OP if someone can pull it up. Good luck with your horse, ulcers are a terrible thing (a bane on society.)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Having a horse that almost died from an ulcer problem, I need to ask why are you waiting for the next "episode" I competed on said mare with no problems, because I gave her a tube or half a tube every time I went to a lesson, went to xc school or any time we left the property. She also got a half or sometimes a full tube when something stressful happened at the farm. Some ulcer horses need "maintenance" doses and this is what you have to figure out. I use strictly Horse pre race now, but I have used the "pop rocks" all with excellent results.

When she was first diagnosed we did use ulcergard until I found the "pop rocks" and now the tubes from Horse pre race. I guess what I'm saying is some horses need maintenance care for ulcers. You know an ounce of prevention is worth. . . Also, are you reffering to ugard as slang for ulcergard? Because as you probably know ugard is totally different from ulcergard.
    Okay, wasn't trying to write a book with my response. So yes, I know some horses need maintenance, I ALWAYS have ulcerguard on hand, I use it when I trailer out, I use it when they are kept in for a day for weather or whatever, And I was using Uguard as shorthand for ulcerguard. Trust me, I'm on this. My point was only with all of my best efforts and complete attention to this horse's well being I am certain he will have another flair and I'd rather save money a little at a time for when I need to buy a month versus having to come up with it all at one.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    My understanding is that Merial Pharmaceuticals owns the patent on the buffer. I had okay success with Canadian Omep paste, couldn't use UlcerGuard/GastroGuard because it contains cinnamon which I have an anaphylactic allergy to, and Merial said I would actually have to stay away from my horse for the entire 30 days of treatment. My horse would eat the Tums. He looked at them as "treats". I had to crush ranitidine and mix it in applesauce and shoot it into his mouth like I would a wormer or other paste.

There is more than one way to buffer. They obviously hold the patent on their method.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just a quick update,

Talked to my vet, he said he has had clients who have had a lot of success with Ranitidine pills... But, the likely hood of getting my horse to eat the pills is low. He is a diva and a half.
    He suggested trying a Omeprazole compound paste (can't remember what the the paste is compounded with, tubes are at the barn) which I was able to get from another vet clinic for $15 a tube.
    So far, so good 2 days into treatment, his poop is more normal and less smelly. He is still grumpy when I tighten his girth but is slightly more excited about eating his grain.
    He's being a lot more spooky/silly, I can't tell if its a "I'm feeling good" spook or "acid splashing around in his stomach" spook.
    -Chelsie

Have you talked to your vet about the grain? I withheld all grain until my mare's ulcers were under control. Even now, two years later, she's on a low-starch diet. Her concentrate is hay-based.

You know, you can get a liquid ranitidine suspension I have it and I give 10cc at a time orally from a syringe. It comes flavoured- ours is strawberry. My horse LOVES it! She stands at her stall door practically liking her lips for it!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mickey View Post
    What about the omprozole/ranitidine paste from http://www.myprecisionpharmacy.com/vet/equine.asp?
    Not only have I found this to work very well, my vet has scoped, confirmed the presence of ulcers, treated with this paste for 30 days, rescoped and confirmed 100% healing. So yep, this works. Wonderful stuff. My cost was about $250/30 days of treatment dose, with overnight shipping from Precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mickey View Post
    Just a quick update,

Talked to my vet, he said he has had clients who have had a lot of success with Ranitidine pills... But, the likely hood of getting my horse to eat the pills is low. He is a diva and a half.
    He suggested trying a Omeprazole compound paste (can't remember what the the paste is compounded with, tubes are at the barn) which I was able to get from another vet clinic for $15 a tube.
    So far, so good 2 days into treatment, his poop is more normal and less smelly. He is still grumpy when I tighten his girth but is slightly more excited about eating his grain.
    He's being a lot more spooky/silly, I can't tell if its a "I'm feeling good" spook or "acid splashing around in his stomach" spook.
    You might be surprised, I didn't think my horse would eat the pills, threw them in his grain one day out of curiosity and no problem, all gone. Never would have thought it...

My super picky mare also eats the pills whole...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My horse is another one who is a BEAR to get meds into. For whatever reason I can throw 150 mg ranitidine tablets, whole, into his food and he will eat them no problem. He will not, however, finish his meals with CRUSHED ranitidine. You can get 150mg ranitidine from the OTC aisle in Walmart, worth a shot! I also like the Abler pop rocks, he eats those fine too.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I buy human 150mg ranitidine tablets (cheaper than smartpak rantidine) and use a coffee grinder to crush, add applesauce, and syringe orally. This is cheap and easy, IMO.

I really love the buffered omeprazole powder from Precision Pharmacy. It is very inexpensive and has worked very well for my horse.