The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safety Vest Recommendations?

Hi all,

I'll be breaking many ponies soon and want to purchase a protective vest. Can you recommend something that is budget friendly and preferably not too long in the back. The Tipperary vests look like they'd get in the way of the cantle. Perhaps I'm wrong? Please advise.

Many thanks!

I'm 5' 3" and I wear the "youth" vests because they are shorter in the spine. You can also look at the OEM vests on Ebay, several posters here have purchased them for under $100.

I have a Tipperary but am looking into a Rodney Powell. I've tried on Charles Owen vests before and I can't find one long enough in the back. Those two are top brands but I don't know how much you're looking to spend.

I'm 5ft 2 and my youth-medium Tipperary catches on the cantle.

I got an OEM vest off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equestrian-R...item3ccface314).

I really like it. They have a sizing chart, and I followed it carefully to pick my size. I'm short waisted, so ordered a petite - it is still a bit long, but my Mom is shortening the back a bit for me. Otherwise, seems well made, very much like the Tipperary, and comfortable. It was around $85 with free shipping.

I have two vests, a Tip and a Charles Owens. I feel like the CO is going to give me more impact protection, but the Tip is more comfortable.

I know that we can fall off at any moment, but I tend to wear the CO only when I feel that the situation is a little more uncertain because I find it uncomfortable under my arms.

I'm 5'10" and neither vest hits the cantle for me.

I'm 5'5" have an airowear outline. It's not bad. Runs a little big I think. Doesn't hit the cantle. Very adjustable, BETA certified.

I have an airowear outline and I am 5'2''. I really like it. I dont think it hits the cantle.

I have a casel-equi in I think a youth-long. The thing is, as you maybe can tell by now, that the brands all fit a bit differently, and depending on your body type, one may work better than another.
    There's not really any substitute for trying several different brands on to see which one fits you the best.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's hard to find a tack shop locally which has all the brands, so nice to know at least a few brands to try to target before I start driving. Plus I cant drive right now (on drugs and supposed to be resting) and I'm a bit bored lying around so trying to do what research I can on-line!
    Thanks again.