The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question SCAD??? As a Novice

I'm probably going to SCAD for computer animation, with potentially a visual effects major, but I was very excited to learn about their equestrian team. Their facilities are gawk worthy, 80 acres of horse facility and pasture perfection. I visited!

Now I have very little riding experience. I rode lessons weekly in elementary school, and I know how to walk, post a trot, and sit a canter. Because of private school financial and time expenses, I was forced to stop those.

I was able to get on a horse about two years ago, a little gaited mare owned by some cousins who own 8 horses and show them. They complimented my posture. and my elem. instuctors were always impressed with my balance as I sat through horse antics, a shetland pony bucking session, and a horse that stumbled to his knees after shying from a gate. I didn't lose my seat or freak out at all.

I'm obviously a complete novice and well aware of it, I'm also aware of the SCAD team's reputation and skill. Is there hope for me on the novice level of the team? Anyone with IHSA team experience or knowledge, your feedback will be appreciated.

Sorry this post was so long
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the cousins, I live in Florida and the majority of my family, including them, live in Ohio. I was born there. Also, those particular cousins are more distant in terms of relation and that was only my second time meeting them. The first time was at a horse show and I was very small and loving it!
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

I believe SCAD is an NCAA team, which means most of their competitors come from recruitment and are generally people that have good results in the 3'+.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Actually they're NAIA division II, but yes they probably do recruit because one of the options for scholarships is a riding video for their equestrian studies program. I'm sure the coach has access to all of these.

B/c I'm not an equestrian studies major, I did not submit one. Instead I submitted an artistic portfolio. You cannot submit both, plus they tell you to submit whatever you're best at.

I'm asking basically for info on the novice part of the team, cuz the IHSA has 3 levels, novice (for people with little riding experience, ie me), intermediate and open.

I believe SCAD shows ANRC and IHSA -- IHSA offers the opportunity to compete at walk/trot --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Actually the IHSA has 6 levels. The novice level you are referring to is the 4th level in the IHSA system. I can't remember the exact specifications for each level, but virtually every novice level rider has years of riding experience, and most of them are capable of jumping a strange horse over a 2+ foot equitation course (a few of them never jump and only do the flat class).

While the novice division may not be for you, the good news is that you'd be right at home in the walk/trot division. All IHSA teams need lower-level riders to be competitive at shows, so I think you'd actually be an asset to the team.
    Last edited by c'est moi; Mar. 31, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well thanks, that's good news, I must have misunderstood what the novice was on the IHSA site

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

There's also advanced walk/trot/canter and beginner walk/trot/canter. In IHSA a blue ribbon in open is worth just as many points to the team as a blue in walk trot. I was in college when the varsity only stuff was just starting and pretty much all of the schools that now do only NCAA head-to-heads still did IHSA. They would literaly go out and find athletic hardworking girls with an interest in learning how to ride and teach them in order to do well at the lower levels.

Hmmm, that's awesome, I'll have to e-mail the coach to see if they have spots available. Most everyone I know says that you should use college to try new things with that new freedom, and I've never said no to horses.

Anyone know anyone from the SCAD team or who used to be on the SCAD team I can PM for school specific info?

SCAD dropped out of the NCAA when its athletic program was under investigation for what the newspapers reported as serious infractions.

You might want to ride with Eleanor Ellis at Evermore. Although her team is GA Southern University's team, you could take lessons from her.

Maybe lessons, but I'm going to SCAD for Computer Animation, and it would be way cheaper to join the equestrian team. I don't really care about the NCAA vs NAIA, I'm not getting horesback riding scholarship money

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiemcdee View Post
    There's also advanced walk/trot/canter and beginner walk/trot/canter. In IHSA a blue ribbon in open is worth just as many points to the team as a blue in walk trot. I was in college when the varsity only stuff was just starting and pretty much all of the schools that now do only NCAA head-to-heads still did IHSA. They would literaly go out and find athletic hardworking girls with an interest in learning how to ride and teach them in order to do well at the lower levels.
    I know somebody who would do this when she ran a college riding program- walk up to random girls on campus and ask them if they wanted to learn to ride in order to show on the IHSA team. I think as kids win their way out of the lower level classes during the year, the team needs to find new riders to compete in those classes. Good luck to the OP!

Walk/Trot and WTC points are extremely valuable for IHSA, they can often be the most important!! Reach out to the coach and let her/him(?) know you're interested in riding and I'm sure they'd be thrilled to speak to you!

From what I've heard (and seen when zones was held at my school) the coach is not the nicest. However, they are a successful team and you would prob. be very vaulable to them if you're eligible for the lower levels as others have said. I think if you've had more then 24 weeks of lessons you can't do w/t, but I might be a little off. I have an aquaintance who goes there and she does enjoy it.

I rode on the team 10 years ago. The current coach was on the team when i was and the team captain. She is a very competent rider and trainer.

You can try out for any division because of IHSA, including walk/trot. That's the beauty of IHSA, it is all inclusive.

But expect to put in long hours, both in the saddle and with a personal trainer at the gym. That is outside of class time, which is also demanding and includes a lot of homework. A major like visual effects, which will require a lot of studio time to use SCADs powerful computers with specific software, may not be a good fit when you take into account extracurriculars and the expectation of travelling to shows. Most people are fortunate enough to be able to take homework with them on the road. I double majored in textiles and art history and thankfully I could take much of my work with me save for some fibers studio classes but I tried to schedule them during summer quarter.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience with SCAD equestrian, and this was well before the luxe new facility, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    Hmmm, that's awesome, I'll have to e-mail the coach to see if they have spots available. Most everyone I know says that you should use college to try new things with that new freedom, and I've never said no to horses.

Anyone know anyone from the SCAD team or who used to be on the SCAD team I can PM for school specific info?
    My best friend is one of the captains on the team and I used to go to SCAD and ride on the team before I transferred. Ashley, the coach, won't consider your interest in the team any different than interest from someone who is competing on the AA circuit. They are always looking for walk/trot and walk/trot/canter riders. Definitely send her an email saying that you are interested in joining the team and she will give you information on tryouts, etc.

If you are a computer animation major, you'll be living more in Monty than on horseback. You might want to reassess. If you're a novice, take some up/down lessons but if you're committed to your major (which is very group-oriented and you can't let down your group), then you'll need to commit to long, hard hours in the dungeon! And, you will probably want to apply for the new dorms there, too!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    If you are a computer animation major, you'll be living more in Monty than on horseback. You might want to reassess. If you're a novice, take some up/down lessons but if you're committed to your major (which is very group-oriented and you can't let down your group), then you'll need to commit to long, hard hours in the dungeon! And, you will probably want to apply for the new dorms there, too!
    I know about the time dedication required for animation, trust me. I've heard all the stories about how they stave off sleep with energy drinks and live in front of computer screens. I'm a little worried, but SCAD said students have free access to all the software, and if I can save for a new laptop (black friday prices) for sophomore thru senior year, I can do some less technologically demanding parts of the projects on the go and also general ed stuff. I already own an art tablet.

I know there are two animation students that do sports based on the rosters, one in cross country, and one in equestrian, so it must be possible.

I just got back from my SCAD visit, the new dorms are for upperclassmen sadly, but I'm looking at Turner House! I heard W and D have bad roach problems, bleh.

Oh and I'm up for the physical commitment, I've been wanting to get on a serious strength regimen for so long. I've been doing cross country and track for 7 years and I've never been more sick of just running. My legs are awesome, but my arms and core are lacking.

Sorry, but as a novice, I'm not sure what you're looking for in a college riding experience. If it's a social environment, great--go volunteer to help the team. But if you want to really learn about horses, do it independently--the team should be competitive (or as competitive as that kind of team can be). Regardless of status, I don't think that walk-trot is a legitimate division. Sorry, but that's an honest opinion. There are lots of other options for real learning, discipline and horsepersonship in the environs.

1 members found this post helpful.