The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you do with your old helmets?

I've heard that you should replace your helmet every few years, as well as following a fall involving a bonk on the head.

Well, last weekend I fell off and landed ON MY HEAD so it seems it's time to retire the helmet. What do I do with it? Throw it away?

BTW, it's my belief that had I not been wearing a helmet, I'd be in a coma rather than writing this post. Wear a helmet...every horse, every ride.

3 members found this post helpful.

I throw them away. If its not going to help my head, I don't want it on anyone else's either
    scr.ew them hunters

~barka.lounger

The ones I've actually fallen on or basically cracked (has happened twice in the last 5 years), I've had to send in to the manufacturer to get discounts on my next one (both Charles Owens). I'm nearing 5 years on my speed air, and although I have a AYR8 to ride in, I plan on getting another speed air. First I'll see if the manufacturer will give me some sort of discount, and if not, then I'll just throw it out.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Not to hijack the thread, but can you get a discount for a new helmet if the other one is just getting old? i have a CO that needs to be replaced soon b/c it is about 5-6 years old, but was just planning on throwing it away, but if I could send it in and get a discount on my new one, that would be great!

I'll let you know if GPA does for my speed air, but I highly doubt it.

When you do throw it out, make sure you cut the harness off so no one else can fish it out of the trash and use it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

4 members found this post helpful.

There was a pic posted on here (last week, maybe?) with helmets as hanging planters.

I guess you want to make sure no one else uses it (esp if damaged). Maybe cut off all the straps b/f tossing? Spray paint a big X on it It does seem like a weird thing to put in the trash. Would it be considered bulk waste?

ETA: Dewey beat me.

I feel like if I throw mine out in my trash at home and it goes straight from my garbage can to the truck, that no one's going fishing through my home garbage for a helmet.

I don't know, kid's took a single riding boot of a pair out of my trash once. I saw them walking along waving it in the air. Who knows why, or what they were thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Covergirl15 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but can you get a discount for a new helmet if the other one is just getting old? i have a CO that needs to be replaced soon b/c it is about 5-6 years old, but was just planning on throwing it away, but if I could send it in and get a discount on my new one, that would be great!
    Probably not.

I had my GPA replaced as a result of a fall and the discount only applied if it happened within the first year from date of purchase. However, other manufacturers may differ.

Here's the Charles Owen policy:

Charles Owen will gladly replace any helmet involved in a horseback riding accident. *The owner of the accident helmet needs to fill out the Accident Report Form. *All helmets must be returned with the accident report form.
    The program is as follows:
    65% off of retail during the 1st year of ownership
    50% off retail during the 2nd year of ownership
    20% off retail during the 3rd year of ownership

I am thinking of making a couple of pendant lights for over my counter top in my tack room!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    When you do throw it out, make sure you cut the harness off so no one else can fish it out of the trash and use it.
    YES - please make sure you do this. Or take a sledge hammer to it.

This give me an idea that perhaps I should gather up all the old hunt caps/helmets that are no longer safe to wear, sell tickets to take a swing at them and donate the money to a horse rescue or therapeutic riding program...

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the ideas. Glad y'all mentioned about cutting off straps, etc. We routinely have people trolling our alley for "salvageable" stuff and I would hate for this helmet to be on someone else's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Covergirl15 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation- I have a CO Hampton that I bought to show in about 6 years ago, wore maybe 5 times, horse got injured- long story short- 6 years later it's hardly been worn and now that I'm showing again, I've tried it on and it doesn't seem to fit me. It was never in a fall, but the fabric lining appears to have come loose/unglued- I don't know if I buy all that stuff about helmets degrading over time but I can't wear it due to the fit. It seems a shame to throw a perfectly good helmet out, but I think I'll have to- I would feel weird trying to sell it, since I know I myself would never feel comfortable buying a pre-owned helmet

I hang them on the wall. Funny to see how the trends have changed when they're all lined up there next to each other!

The past few I've thrown away - we DO take a sledge hammer or a regular helmet to see how much it takes to break them - because we are weird that way.

The two I've gotten rid of, I've cut the harnesses off and taken a sharpie/permanent marker to (they were a troxel and an ovation and black sharpie showed up just fine on the helmet) and wrote all over "DAMAGED - DO NOT USE." One was a fall and one was from old age, but I figured to message still worked . That way if anyone DID try to fish it out of the garbage and use it, it would be pretty obvious it shouldn't be used.

I took a sledgehammer to mine and cracked it - big & bold.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

My Co no longer fit after about 5 years of everyday use, and the shell makes a funny noise when pressed on... so i bought a speed air. But my CO is currently sitting in the trunk of my car. Its nice for days that I forget my helmet (for what reason i would idk..) that i have a spare one just in case. I really should just throw it out though haha